Who were we back then?

Katie!

One of my favorite people from back in the day. I had quite the cybercrush on you, but I’ve since moved on.

Hope you are well.

3 Likes

Ah I had some Murmurs crushes back in the day too. I’ve been in a lot of different Internet communities over the years, but Murmurs was the only place where that really happened. (Of course Murmurs was also the main place I was at while being a somewhat emotionally screwed up 19 year old, so that’s a complicating factor.)

3 Likes

Welcome home!

2 Likes

Who wasn’t an emotionally screwed up 19 year old?

7 Likes

OH MY GOD! It’s back! I’m Claire and I assume I would’ve been Tuppenny back then as well, from about 17 to 22 when I was at university and spent my evenings drinking wine and chatting in one of the threads on here (I can only remember the Tractor Bar which I know wasn’t us). I’m 37 now, married and the owner of a nearly six year old. I’ve just been scrolling through this thread shouting out usernames in increasing squeaky excitement. YOU GUYS!!!

8 Likes

Blimey. Zeppelino back then too. Met my wife via the previous iteration and today is our 8th wedding anniversary. Tomorrow is our sons 6th birthday.

11 Likes

Pascal here… Now 46. Probably joined in the late 90s… I’ve probably used different usernames (up23, uppp possibly being some of them), but I’m pretty sure the last one was Unafraid. Some of them might have been used on mIRC though, I can’t remember clearly… Was there a #murmurs channel back then?

I guess most people didn’t like me back then (I was pretty argumentative), starting with Ethan who’s banhammer was never real far… :sweat_smile:

Eventually got married in 2006 and got 3 kids (now 7, 11 and 13). Divorced since 2019. Been with my new girlfriend for a bit over two years.

That said, I think I’m the same tortured soul I’ve always been.

2 Likes

There was definitely an IRC channel by late 2001 when I started participating on Murmurs. The website had a Java applet client you could use, or a standalone client like mIRC would work too.

2 Likes

Are you still accepting pictures of infections?

I believe in re-opening old threads! But mostly I wanted to say thank you, Ethan, for re-opening this site for us. Murmurs was invaluable in helping me cultivate … I was going to say my R.E.M. fandom … but my whole identity, really. Who are we kidding. And I didn’t even post that often.

Um, so yes, Hi, I’m Emma, and I joined in 1999, age 15, after a life-changing night at the band’s final gig on the Up tour. After college, I moved to Cambridge, UK to go to graduate school, where I immediately met my Danish now-husband. We got our degrees and moved around a bit before setting down in southeast London for 8 years. We took the family to Denmark when the first lockdown 2020 happened, and it quickly became unthinkable that we would move back to the UK.

We now live in Copenhagen with our four boys, ages 11, 9, 6 and 2. I was a lecturer in English lit for a while and then had some other, significantly less soul-satisfying jobs. I am now the copy editor for an intergovernmental organisation focused on ocean sustainability, and I looove it.

I rarely meet R.E.M. fans and am always overjoyed to do so. If you’re curious about Copenhagen or are visiting or whatever, please feel free to get in touch.

x

8 Likes

I’m curious about Copenhagen, but not the kind of curious that asks, lol. The thing is, I would just love to live there for good, but I have less than zero connections to Denmark (or Norway, or Sweden, where I’d also relocate to in a heartbeat) and less than zero financial possibilities. It’s just a dream of mine. You’re living my dream. Enjoy!

Aw mate, well, I’m happy to hear this :slightly_smiling_face: ; I can’t say that my parents were thinking of Copenhagen when I was born, but I’ve felt really comfortable in and compatible with the place since I first visited in 2006, and it’s truly home now. The fact that even the DK conservative political positions are well to the left of those of the U.S. democratic party certainly has a lot to do with it, but there’s so much about the people and society that are comparatively decent and sane, you know…

2 Likes

Exactly. Ditto, reditto and idem.

Well I’m still the same loony tunes I was back then. However, Aristotle says the mad are all in God’s keeping and I’m with Lewis Carroll and maintain that We’re All Mad. Plus, God created the English mad, the maddest of all mankind :grin:

Hi
I joined Murmurs when I was 14 years old. My username was just Becky (childhood nickname only my parents use now :slight_smile: I’m 39 now and live in Kennett Square, PA with my husband of 12 yrs (Kevin) and my 9 yr old son Finn. I went to the School of the Art Institute of Chicago and earned a BFA in film and writing then an MA in psychology from Immaculata University in PA. I worked with kids on the autism spectrum before having my son. I’m working on pursuing a writing career now and am about halfway through a novel. I recently wrote a short story to submit to fellowships etc. and I realized how much R.E.M. influenced it (aside from a direct nod to them in the form of a character’s t-shirt) and how the experience of listening to their music evokes memories and feelings of different seasons and ages. I’d be happy to share it with anyone interested :slight_smile:

I’m happy to find this site! I was telling my husband the other day that the sense of community here was something that couldn’t be recreated… whether it was due to a commonality amongst REM fans or what I couldn’t say but I have missed it now and then throughout the years.

Rebecca

10 Likes

Welcome! Glad you’re here!

1 Like

I love this place and feel so comfortable here, thank you all :heart:

1 Like

I’m glad you found your way back!

1 Like

Thanks Donna! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can’t remember exactly, probably gary but who knows. hello.

2 Likes