Welcome to Murmurs!

Welcome back.

I don’t even need the Internet to know that my extended family and I disagree. It’s been heartbreaking.

1 Like

Donna!

Now get Kelly.

Welcome home Donna!

2 Likes

You’re back! Yay!

1 Like

Wot Biz said! Get Kelly!

1 Like

Very soon! He was deep in work, but I’m forwarding the link!

3 Likes

Ethan, I can’t express enough how much it means to me to have a friendly corner of the internet again! This is fantastic, and you’re a stellar human being for making it happen (as well as in general). Thank you!

8 Likes

Work is overrated.

2 Likes

What a lovely surprise to have Murmurs back. I’ve missed it so much. Never liked facebook as a ‘community’. Thank you!

3 Likes

Hello everybody!
It sure feels good to be here again!
Thank you, Ethan, for having a bit more free time :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

It is a lovely surprise!,. hi I remember most of you. I’m Lori from Adelaide, Australia, I joined murmurs soon after Up was released. So many discussions, stories, music and shenanigans! Perfect Circle. I’ve missed it. Thank you Ethan.

6 Likes

WOO! Welcome back! I was wondering how life was treating you the other day! :smiley:

1 Like

Welcome back!!

1 Like

Ciao Lori, or Loredana, if I remember well you are a bit italian, right? Happy to see you here, again. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hey Silvana! That’s right my parents were from Abruzzo. Loredana was such a mouthful when I was a kid at school & got shortened to my nickname Lori. I remember you being very active in the chat threads with Wim. I’m still blown away that murmurs is back, it’s feels like a strange but wonderful throw back in time. :two_hearts:

1 Like

:wave:t2: Hi, old friends!
I just chanced upon this - how nice to see so many familiar names.

I was, and still am, robertandrews.

My involvement in the online R.E.M. community ran deep…

… and, most substantively, my thousands of posts on Murmurs.

Murmurs was the canvas for my welcome occupation with R.E.M… Fusing it with my emerging into journalism and digital communication, I became a kind of news editor/R.E.M. reporter/mod here, determined to bring together all the band-related news from around the world, marrying news and community.

Murmurs allowed me to have many great discussions and meet many like-minded people, sharing lyric interpretations and making friends on the road. What a community we were.

When R.E.M. retired, the retirement of Murmurs compounded the loss.

Here’s what I wrote at the time: R.E.M. And The End Of Online Community.

And here is something I wrote on Reddit just last night, whilst getting wistful before typing in murmurs.com just to check: We are all Out Of Time.

I didn’t think I’d be seeing your usernames on my screen again today!

x

8 Likes

Welcome back.

1 Like

Hello everyone. What is old is new again. Last time I was on Murmurs was maybe 2003? Cool to see it back.

4 Likes

Welcome home Lori!

1 Like

Welcome back!

1 Like