So, how’s it going

Beautiful blue sky. It’s a wintery grey & clouded down here for most of this week. I’m starting to miss summer, especially the longer daylight.

4 Likes

So, after two and a half years of fierce resistance, our kid, my wife and I all got the damn bug. The little one (two shots) is already almost free from it; my wife is not very well (three shots) with weird symptoms all over; and I feel like shit for two days now (with three shots too), but it’s only like a nasty cold. Mostly, I got a headache radiating from the neck every few minutes, but I’ve been taking many meds from hour one, like I usually do. We’ll be fine, but it’s taking a couple of days…

4 Likes

Went to the pub with some friends last night, it was great. I don’t go out drinking and getting tipsy or very drunk as often as I used to, but now when I do it’s special. Also, today I found some time to pull out weeds from the garden. Happy I got that done.

3 Likes

I realized yesterday that if I hadn’t retired, I would have had to go back to work tomorrow (ridiculously soon)! And then I realized that even if they hadn’t extended the secretarial contracts, I’d still be dreading going back in a couple of weeks. But I don’t have to do it at all! I’m excited to start relaxing in earnest. :smile:

7 Likes

I’m hoping to retire from my work place in 4 years. If they cut my hours in half I might continue working a bit longer. I want to spend more time doing things at home and recreation.

2 Likes

It’s early days, but I’m enjoying myself immensely. I didn’t have a paying job from 1989 to 2008, so I’m not a stranger to the housewife situation, but this time around, I don’t have little kids or volunteer responsibilities (yet!), and I’m luxuriating in the freedom. I’m sure someone will notice that I have free time soon and I’ll have to be careful not to end up with 20 hours a week of volunteer work.

4 Likes

Got back from a vacation at the beach last week. First time at the beach really for my kids, they had a fun time.

5 Likes

I’ve been working extra shifts, there is a shortage of staff where I work, apparently due to a wave of the virus & what appears to be a stressed out health system. I wonder when this will all end, or is it a new norm that I have to adapt to.

3 Likes

I quit my job, what with shifts getting increasingly crazy (close the store but come back in the morning with less than six hours of sleep) and shiny toothwork. More references than I could hope for, unused vacations etc. Now keeping me eyes open.

6 Likes

I’m taking a couple more weeks off. Burn out is real, kids. After four years in an emotionally draining position, I need a hard break.

This working for a living crap sucks.

7 Likes

I’m experiencing some survivor’s guilt every time Kathleen leaves for work. There’s got to be a better way!

5 Likes

Getting annoyed at the school. Kids (11, 8, 6) are starting on Monday. We just found out teachers last night, and then the teachers were supposed to walk around to students’ houses today to say hi. 11 got the teacher he was expecting and that seems fine. 8 did not, we thought she was going to have the same teacher 11 did for 3rd grade, but now that teacher ended up moving to 2nd grade, so 8 has a different teacher who just moved from 6th grade. But seems fine. 6 had the same teacher 11 did for 1st grade, which was fine too. But then only the older two got a visit today. And the kids think they saw 11’s old teacher go by, but didn’t stop at our house. Today I check the school website again and now it says 6 doesn’t have that teacher after all; in one place he is not listed as being in any class, and in another place is listed under a teacher’s name I didn’t recognize, turns out they are listed as a substitute teacher. I’m not sure what’s going on now. There’s going to be an open house at the school tomorrow which we were all going to go to, so I guess we’ll show up and hopefully find what class 6 is going to be in. The school district was having trouble with staffing, so I guess that’s what’s going on here, but it’s not starting out good for 6’s first year at the school.

5 Likes

I am so glad I don’t have kids. I think the anxiety would kill me.

I had a colonoscopy today. It’s my third one in ten years due to family and personal history. Colonoscopies aren’t the funnest thing but they aren’t as bad as everyone says. Plus, early detection is key and colon cancer can be prevented through regular exams.

The age to start exams used to be 50. I started early because of my history. My first one found several polyps—a few kinda dicey. If I’d waited until I was 50 (as my insurance suggested), I’d be dealing with a much different reality. I chose not to wait. The age to start colonoscopies has gone down because colon cancer is occurring more often in younger individuals.

Plus, if you’re like me, you can reward yourself with donuts (strawberry bismarck from my favorite place in town) after and spend the rest of the day napping.

5 Likes

You can always call the principal or counselor to ask about it before the open house. It kind of sounds like something unexpected happened, but especially since you have three children at the school, you should be able to get an answer. Don’t be shy about (politely, if course) pressing for the placement you think would be best for your child! Depending on the relationship you have with the first-grade teacher your older child has, you might even be able to ask them about whether they could help.

2 Likes

Good work! I’m glad they’re loosening up the age guidelines now; the sooner, the better.

3 Likes

Down here they are known as Berliner buns. I always get a couple plus a dagwood dog, similar to a corn dog, at the annual Royal Adelaide show, back on this year after covid cancellations. Always a treat!

2 Likes

Getting ready to move to British Columbia. Trip starts Sunday.
It’s a huge change.

3 Likes

BC is nice. Good luck on the move.

2 Likes

New tattoo commemorating my deadlift PR (250lbs) a few months ago. This is tattoo number I-Lost-Track-A-Long-Time-Ago.

5 Likes