Recent music purchases

I have an illness

Dinosaur Jr - Swedish Fist

2 Likes

One from the car boot sale this morning, £2. Disc is in great condition, sleeve has seen life. Some great songs on it though.

3 Likes

FlamingLipsCloudsTasteMetallic

The_Flaming_Lips_-_At_War_with_the_Mystics (1)
I already have two Flaming Lips records. Enjoying a return to them, now I want to hear more.

I also already have two Lilly Hiatt records, love them both, I want to hear more.

Michael Stipe Future if future
Michael Stipe & Beatie Wolfe limited 12" bioplastic single, because it’s new and inventive Michael Stipe.

4 Likes

I like those Flaming Lips albums a lot. Which other ones do you have?

I have the Soft Bulletin & Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots, which I haven’t listened to for a while until just recently. I love both especially YBTPR. I only became familiar with The Flaming Lips from back in the days of the old murmurs site, where there was a lot of talk about them. At the time I couldn’t have everything I wanted all at once.

1 Like

Whilst in Scotland I picked up a signed 7 inch of James Graham (Twilight Sad) and Aidan Moffat (Arab Strap)’s new collaboration Gentle Sinners. Sublime.

2 Likes

Fair. Those are all good albums I think. My favourite Flaming Lips era is probably the early 90s stuff. It’s good if you like noisy guitars. :stuck_out_tongue:

I recently acquired:

The Beatles - Let It Be (Super Deluxe Vinyl)

Neil Young & Promise of the Real - Noise and Flowers

1 Like

Which FL records would you recommend that I don’t have already? I’ll probably get a few more at some stage.

1 Like

I’d recommend In a Priest Driven Ambulance and Transmissions From the satellite Heart from that early 90s period.

1 Like

On vinyl - original pressings:

And on cassette:

3 Likes

Noted. Thanks so much. x

1 Like

Recent Purchases and birthday presents

Neil Young & the Restless - Eldorado

Matthew Grimson - Prize for Writing

Larry Norman - Streams of White Light Into Darkened Corners

Larry Norman - Street Level

Mark Heard - Appalachian Melody

The Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band - History of the Bonzos

2 Likes

Nitin Sawhney - London Undersound (Limited Edition vinyl/CD/DVD box)

George Michael - Older (Red vinyl)

3 Likes

The Beatles - Abbey Road (3LP Anniversary Edition)

3 Likes

The original Friday the 13th film from 1980 is one of those pivotal movies that helped to define my taste in cinema when I first saw it during my childhood. I have always loved stories about bad things that happen to people in the woods, but I especially gravitated to this one because of the amazing makeup effects and because of the reverse play on Alfred Hitchcock’s Psycho. Most importantly, the Harry Manfredini music score transforms what would otherwise have been an average drive-in horror movie into something truly monumental. To this day, the film remains an example of how music choices can elevate an end result to the stratosphere.
I love all of the Friday the 13th sequels as well, especially the second one from 1981, and I give rotation to all of them on my Blu-ray player every year, but the original will always hold the top spot in my heart.
I preordered this Waxwork Records vinyl repressing back in May, as soon as it went live for presale. I am pleased to report that the record delivers a superb presentation of Manfredini’s masterpiece.

4 Likes

Neil Young with Crazy Horse - Toast

3 Likes

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Return of the the Dream Canteen (Vinyl)

2-
Angélique Kidjo – Ayé (CD)

Sara Parkman - Vespen (Vinyl)

Sara Parkman - Eros Agape Philia (Vinyl)

Karukurichi P. Arunachalam – Swaranadham - Classical Live Concert (Cassette)

1 Like

Just bought 2 Hawkwind discs, because as we all know vinyl is well over $100.00.

4 Likes

The Beach Boys - Surfs Up. Obsessed with Disney Girls (1957) currently.

The Psychedelic Furs debut LP

Babes in Toyland - To Mother mini LP. Had this on CD when it came out.

All 3 for £30 posted, all in VG+ condition. Bargain.

4 Likes

My old pc speakers started to crackle badly this week, I got another new pair yesterday. Not anything top of the range, sound quality is a little better than what I had. Also, a new cable for my headphones. I’ve had these HPs for a long time, this is the second time I’ve had to replace the cable, which is a bit annoying, a cable that doesn’t last on good HPs. Still it’s cheaper than buying a whole new decent set. This is my set up when I watch music videos & listen to streamed music on my pc.

4 Likes