Recent music purchases

So back in the day some of us were big on sharing our latest purchases. I always thought of it as a nice conversation starter and as a way of finding out about other music and releases.
I figured I’ll try it again.

Most recent purchase:

Elevator to Hell - Parts 1-3 (vinyl reissue)

Jacob Earl - Drumz and a Baalloonn (Bandcamp digital release)

4 Likes

This was my most visited thread for sure.

Lady Wray - Piece of Me

Imarhan - Aboogi

Erin Rae - Lighten Up

All three on Bandcamp, a platform I absolutely love.

2 Likes

Have not heard that Imarhan til now. Really dig it thank you!

1 Like

Been listening to this past couple weeks. Its one of those scores that stayed with me all these decades.

1 Like

These arrived on January 31st. They were held at customs from December 10th 2021 through January 13th 2022. But since I was on vacation I had to tell DHL to drop them after I got back.

3 Likes

And these arrived yesterday

2 Likes

Of course! Did you by any chance get into Mdou Moctar in the last couple of years?

I’m not sure how to navigate pics yet, so I’ll just say the names:

Aphrodieties Child~666

Walt Disney Studios:The Sounds of Outerspace

Lenny White Presents: The Adventures of Astral Pirates

Breaktionary Vol. 1

All vinyl.

3 Likes

2 Likes

Whoa, that looks cool. I need to check it out.

1 Like

I’d highly rec the Soul Jazz label. Pretty much everything they release (books and albums) are exemplary.

2 Likes

@Dream_Brother I Just heard “Afrique Victime” late last year and love it but I haven’t heard any of his other stuff yet.

2 Likes

My last musical purchase was NAIHF reissue 2 disc version and still have to buy the 3 disc version of it.

Not that very interested in “new” music these days. Found recently that I lost somewhere 5 or 6 CDs and must replace them and willing to complete my Bryan Adams collection. So, hoping to buy about 10 CD in the next couple of months but no novelties.

1 Like

One of my favorites from last year. Check out his previous album Iliana: the Creator, too. Great stuff.

1 Like

Current circumstances require that I live pretty close to the bone. I also have space limitations issues that are likely going to lead to me having to part with all physical media in the not too distant future, For those reasons I haven’t purchased any new music in the past couple years. However, I made an exception late last year with Oxford American’s annual Southern Music issue. In 2020, for the first time ever they did away with the sampler CD in lieu of Spotify playlists. However, they responded to their readers by bringing back the CD last year. I love every one they’ve ever released but have to say this is one of my favorites. If interested, you can find the tracklist here:

3 Likes

All good, though I Have Made a Place is my favourite.

3 Likes

Yes! Superwolves is excellent, but I think I Have Made a Place may be one of the very best things he’s ever done!

1 Like

You may have already heard it, but there’s an album by Three Queens in Mourning called Hello Sorrow, Hello Joy. It’s three Glasgow-based musicians covering Will Oldham songs. It’s very good. There’s a particularly beautiful song called No Such As I Want. I’ve never heard the Bonnie Prince Billy version. Can’t find it anywhere, not even YouTube. Great song.

I recently ordered three Boy Harsher releases on vinyl from their Bandcamp page…
Yr Body is Nothing
Country Girl EP
Careful

What showed up in the mail today was…
Yr Body is Nothing
Country Girl EP
Lesser Man EP

I already own Lesser Man. Careful is the only Boy Harsher release that I am lacking on vinyl. I sent a kind email to the record label about the error, so that should take care of it.

At any rate, I’m spinning the two correct order records right now, and am loving the sound on wax.

1 Like

My recent vinyl purchases include:
The Whitmore Sisters
LadyCouch
John Calvin Abney
Tommy Womack
Be Good to Yourself (Charity Compilation)
Circle of Atoms: Passaquan Sessions (includes Chickasaw Mudd Puppies)
And I won the test pressing of R.E.M. 45 re-issue “Radio Free Europe” (and had already bought 2 copies)

4 Likes