Recent music purchases

When I saw Lilly in concert recently she had her newest album (Lately) for sale but only on cassette. Obviously, I passed on that but at this point I’m not sure if or when Lately is going to be released on vinyl or CD. I understand there’s some delays with vinyl right now but I’m not sure what the holdup is with the CD. I’m not a big download person either. The most music I’ve downloaded has been due to redeeming download code cards that come with vinyl purchases. That said, due to space limitations streaming will likely be my future.

2 Likes

My HiFi system sounds great & I adore it but it’s old, I don’t think it would support playing back streaming or downloads, it would mean connecting another gadget to it, but I still don’t know if it would work. I haven’t really kept up with modern HiFi systems that support streaming or downloads. Maybe I’m going to have to in the future.

2 Likes

The nicest home stereo system I ever owned is a used one I purchased a few years ago. Unfortunately, the receiver started acting up about 3 months later which put an end to my all brief reunion with vinyl. Not just my old records but more than a few new ones I’d purchased over the years, mainly due to Record Store Day. I had also started purchasing vinyl (mostly new) again. It was also around this time that I also using iTunes to stream but I rarely used that at home. When I did, it was through my computer. Otherwise, it was through my iPhone in my car. It took me a while to warm up to mp3’s but once I did, I didn’t miss toting several binders of CD’s with me everywhere I went.

2 Likes

I collect and read Penguin Classic novels. The last one I purchased was Kerouac’s first or unedited version of “On the Road.” I own about fifty or so.

Ryan

4 Likes

Oh sorry! I thought was a topic about hobbies. Wrong thread.

1 Like

All good. The topic for hobbies is here

3 Likes

I’m going to have to get myself a sound bar at some stage, then figure out how much I can store on my phone or get another gadget like an ipod or something for storing music files. I don’t often use Spotify and rarely itunes. I bought a new car late last year with a blue tooth connection, that’s a start I guess. I never had blue tooth in my old car.

2 Likes

So far this year:

JANUARY
7 - Metallica (Garage Inc.) 2CD

FEBRUARY
6 - Metallica (Load) CD
6 - Metallica (Reload) CD
7 - Weezer (Pacific Daydream demos) MP3
20 - Metallica (S&M 2) 2CD
26 - Metallica (Beyond Magnetic) CD
26 - Metallica (Live @ Woodstock '94) 2CD

MARCH
12 - Metallica (Hardwired… To Self-Destruct) 3CD

APRIL
23 - Kirk Hammett (Portals) CD

MAY
13 - Luc de Larochellière (Quelque chose d’animal) CD
13 - Luc de Larochellière (Amère America) CD
20 - Metallica (In The City Of Brotherly Love) CD
21 - Weezer (Spring) CD
22 - Lemonheads (Lovey - 30th Anniversary Deluxe Edition) 2CD

JUNE
2 - Weird Al Yankovic (Essential) 2CD

3 Likes

Nirvana - Nevermind (30th Anniversary)

So I’m in the process of packing up stuff to move to the other end of Canada but I decided to pick up a record yesterday. Having recently purged a couple hundred records I knew if I got something it would be something I wouldn’t want to get rid of. Surprised it took me so long to get Nevermind on vinyl.

4 Likes

My latest purchase was the traditional purchase that I always make when visiting Athens: an R.E.M. vinyl selection at Wuxtry. This time it was the reissue of NEW ADVENTURES IN HI-FI. I’d already purchased the CD version of the reissue, but, wanted to make sure I had this one in the vinyl collection, too, since NAIHF is one of the most personally relevant albums in their catalog.

3 Likes

Due to current space limitations I’ve held off on purchasing a lot of new music not knowing what the future holds for my music collection as a whole (all of which is in storage except for a few recently purchased CD’s). However, I have several Amazon gift certificates I’ve accumulated over the past couple years that haven’t been cashed in. Living where I do now where there are no record stores (the closest are over an hour and a half away) and the big boxes don’t stock anything I listen to, I cashed them in. The main impetus was being unable to purchase the new albums from Drive-By Truckers and Angel Olsen. I could stream them but that’s not an option at the moment. Not all have arrived but most have.

31iMujDSqbL
61rDZY-LeEL.SY355
71eRXVTuMVL.SS500

952321f8df7c09158f42c8ec0ace14dd

Antisocialites_-Alvvays(Band)_Album_Cover
artworks-Q8hn3rrW9NQK-0-t500x500

2 Likes

I’m having space limitations too. A month ago I was almost about to purchase Steely Dan’s Greatest Hits, I haven’t listened to the Dan for a long time & now I wanted to. I forgot I already had that record. I found it stored in the garage.

2 Likes

I do that with books quite a lot!

3 Likes

It wasn’t until recent years that I accidentally bought a CD twice but it was only a couple. When CD’s started to fall of favor and could be found used for dirt cheap, I began purchasing more of them, mainly to rip to my computer to help build my music library. Now, I’m facing the reality of going completely digital and not just with music.

2 Likes

Fathers Day Present

Neil Young and Crazy Horse - Barn

3 Likes

This comes with the June 2022 issue of Mojo (Jerry Garcia cover in the U.S./Liam Gallagher in the U.K.) and consists of previously released material.

1 Like

Khuruangbin - Mordechai

This thing of wonder arrived today after I caught their Glastonbury set on BBC over the weekend. Texan band I’d never heard of. Laid back guitar music at its most brilliant. Highly recommended to all.

2 Likes

Elevator Through - Vague Premonition & Extras

2 Likes

Some unknowns from the south…

4 Likes

I wonder if they’ll amount to anything? :thinking:

2 Likes