Post a song you love right now

Ratboys - The Window. I’ve had the album on heavy rotation the last week or so, but this song is the standout for me currently. Reminds me musically of Out of Time era, and possibly some of those Monster demos without lyrics.

2 Likes

Oh, I only have to hear the opening lines and I’m weeping floods.

I think Big Thief might just be the best band in the world right now. They’re in that spot where everything is gold, and they can do no wrong.

1 Like

Great song. The singer’s voice takes some getting used to. I’ve got a similar sounding one and I guess it gives me hope of some kind, but not much. Fantastic lyrics.

1 Like

I know! It’s a beautiful piece of music isn’t it?

1 Like

It’s heartbreaking.

This song from my current playlist.
“Anything is better than the picture of the child in a cloud of gas” Brought me shivers, I remember that picture.
“Money Don’t Matter 2 Night”

1 Like

I guess a variation on this is the Beatles “Can’t Buy Me Love”. Prince is quite right- money don’t matter and you’re better off making sure your soul is ok. It also made me think of “Dumb Money” - fabulous film.

I love the raw sound of this. Really affecting.

1 Like

I heard this “on my radio” ( as Freddie sings) recently and now just love it. The 5 piece band Nothing But Thieves formed in 2012 but I’m not really familiar with their earlier stuff but this is so good I’ve got myself a ticket to go ad see them live next month. I love the way they’ve done this lyric video and I really feel in part of the lyric they’re channelling their inner R.E.M. (LRP or AFTP). “Overcome”- it’s a really hopeful number in particular the bridge:
It’s when we lean in, into the moment
It’s when we’re reaching through the divide
it’s when we begin feeling the open
It’s when the stranger’s fallen behind
When we shake off the darkness and harness the light:

1 Like

I’ve been digging on Babehoven quite a bit lately. Few bands outside of Beach House (especially their Bloom album) provide a more perfect soundtrack for one of my favorite times of day, post-sunset when the sun has set but the sky remains a bit orange. I was led to Babehoven because they’re currently opening for Slow Pulp who I was led to because they were opening for Alvvays around this time last year. Not unlike Beach House, I love the ethereal, dream-like quality of their music. This is Babehoven’s new single but I’m not sure if it’s from an upcoming album or is a standalone release. I look forward to seeing them this weekend with Slow Pulp.

3 Likes

James - Say Something

4 Likes

I saw Slow Pulp last night with Babehoven. I was impressed with Slow Pulp last year when they opened for Alvvays, and have since gone down the rabbit hole of their music. Babehoven put on quite a good opening set (dressed as Mario Bros. characters for Halloween, or at least I think they were dressed as Mario Bros.). Slow Pulp dressed like the Scooby-Doo characters.

Anyway…

3 Likes

Same for the show I saw in Durham on Sunday, and yes, Babehoven were supposed to be the character Luigi from the Super Mario Brothers, or so I overheard after the show. I enjoyed both but ended up being more taken with Babehoven. Most likely because the type of music they create is where my head’s been at as of late. Maya (their lead vocalist) told me their next album is due sometime in the new year. I can’t wait to hear it.

1 Like

I love the sparse feel to this, the Martin Hannett production. Pretty sure it is Vini Reilly on guitar too, Durutti Column main man.

2 Likes

George Harrison - What is Life

(super cute video too, made a few years ago, apparently chosen by Olivia and Dhani Harrison from a bunch of submissions)

4 Likes

From my current playlist, ‘Mr. Stormalong’ - Ivan Neville

1 Like
2 Likes

New single from Kathryn Williams and Withered Hand. Love it, looking forward to the album.

4 Likes