Memorabilia and rarities

Anyone looking for the ‘holy grail’ still missing in their collection?
Let’s bring back also a section where we can exchange knowledge and why not buy/sell items we are still looking for!

I’ll give it a go! Still looking for the Finest Lunchbox after 20+ years :grimacing: so if anyone is willing to sell it I’m here! lol

2 Likes

Been trying to find a vinyl copy of the Man on the Moon soundtrack. Couple of eBay ones have turned out to be CDs

1 Like

My holy grail is still Lifes Rich Pageant on CD, especially the IRS Vintage Years edition, if I could find one, but really, any CD would do. I just can’t seem to find them in Brazil and, with the pandemic, the few friends who would travel abroad stayed put.

1 Like

I have a complete collection of IRS vintage reissues (but not selling, sorry). Didn’t realise they were so difficult to pick up.

2 Likes

Probably depends on where you are. I got all mine in HMV (when that was still a thing), so clearly they were readily available here in Ireland, but not every market is as well served as we are.

1 Like

I know but I was thinking about the second hand market. I would have thought there’d be loads knocking about, particularly in Europe. That’s what surprised me. Doesn’t account for international shipping cost obviously but just had a look and there is actually loads out there at a quick glance. Maybe its a shipping issue?

I would think it’s only difficult because of where I am, really. In the US and Europe, it was probably widespread back in the day, and now maybe you can find those as second hand quite easily.

For whatever reason, LRP became really hard to find here in any version. The original vinyl goes up to R$ 200-250 (about US$ 40-50), and I can’t even seem to find that IRS Vintage version for sale.

Oh wow! A quick google here in the UK found some 2nd hand copies on ebay for a few pounds (IRS Vintage CD). Wonder if they’d post to Brazil?

1 Like

Thank you so much for checking! I’m sorry to say it would cost me a fortune too. The only way I can think of is someone here getting rid of their copy or a friend travelling and getting it for me in a used bin. It ends up here costing the amount of a regular CD, something like R$ 20 (or US$ 3-4). Really, thanks!

1 Like

Another thing I’ve been looking for a while is Michael’s cast bronze cassette. Anyone out there owing any of Michael’s cast bronze creations?

1 Like

Is it only me or it’s ages since we saw one up for sale?

they’re super common here in the US, maybe you could find one on discogs or sth

1 Like

I only wish I knew someone going to the US soon, or even to Europe. A friend of mine brought me back two CDs the last time he went to San Diego Comic Con, but I don’t know of anyone around here going there now, that could take the time to find that particular album. No worries, no hurry. It’s just a matter of having the complete “regular” collection. It will happen soon. Thanks, @doublevision .

Is it just me or fan club stuff bootlegs and rarities are not up for sale anymore anywhere?

This is an interesting thread! Finest Lunchbox, eh? They ARE cool, but for some reason, I always stay away from “the fanmade” stuff as opposed to official promo stuff. That’s not to say I don’t own a few bootleg posters and vinyl bootlegs that aren’t cool. My “Bodycount at Tyrones” boot is still a favourite.

I don’t have as much disposable income as I once did and my thirst for colleting REM has waned somewhat. Maybe that’s what an “old fan” is like? Not sure. Most of the time I cruise ebay I’m looking for a deal. Having scoured it for years I know what’s a “good price” for an item. One of the last deals I got was the promo poster for Chronic Town. The person was asking 300 dollars (which it’s probably worth) but I offered 100 and got it. I basically said this “I’m not trying to lowball you but I don’t find this poster particularly attractive [and I don’t]. If you want to sell it, you have a guaranteed buyer right here, but if not, by all means wait for 300 dollars but you might be waiting a long time.” To my surpise the person agreed. But I’m telling the truth here: I still think it’s an ugly poster lol!

BUT to stay on topic…holy grails? I don’t know. I’m still missing Meadow in a Can, the stand compass (both of which I’ve seen for okay pricing but I’ve been too lazy to buy), that Fables wooden block keychain, a certain older poster that I see is for sale on ebay for 200US but I can’t justify that, oh–and the Morning Team mug. Um, maybe an old bag of promo peanuts from the AFTP days provided they aren’t rancid. lol.

Maybe the real holy grail is the Gardening At Night gloves. But you know what? I’d just be happy with a few fanzines and old magazines too. Heck, I’m even a sucker for those 12 dollar reproductions of old gig posters. Best!

1 Like

Hahahah I think I was looking at that poster too :sweat_smile: and got very surprised after asking the seller he let it go for that money! lol
If you don’t like it I’m still very interested in it :sunglasses:

My attitude with some REM collectibles is like Tony Stark in Iron Man: “buy it and store it.” lol. That’s not to say I don’t appreciate owning the original CT promo poster, but a while back I bought one from ebay that was a bootleg and far more aesthetically appealing IMO. I specifically wanted one that was 24 by 36 as I am aware of those other CT posters that are subway sized!

3 Likes

Love them! How many you got?

I don’t know. 25-30 probably. Some are more attractive than others, and I basically have all the ones I want save for one I’m trying to get that I’ll snag someday. Here are a couple more. I’m not bragging BTW! Just showing you stuff. The one photo is actually a framed Howard Finster bandana with a bunch of backstage passes positioned below it. I love that one best.

6 Likes

Amazing! Love the bandana!
And I see also the Read poster, the DLO letter opener and 1988 Christmas single!
Lovely collection indeed Owenshire!
Ps: is that your office/man cave?

1 Like