Death is pretty final. I'm collecting vinyl

Oooooh, that looks like the introduction to a beautiful collection! :star_struck: Cortez the Killer is my favourite Neil Young song ever!

1 Like

It’s a great album. I’m on a Neil kick at the moment. It happens every few months.
FWIW (pun partially intended) my favourite Neil Young song is Like a Hurricane.

3 Likes

I so love vinyl, always have. I bought a lot of it in the 80’s and 90’s, then bought 4-5 a year until the pandemic hit and that started a wave of buying my teenage self would be jealous of.

Traded my original copy of NAIHF to my daughter today as I picked up the reissue package. I am sure my old one is worth something, but I don’t care.

Listening to Talk Talk Spirit of Eden as I type this.

I like vinyl in my living room and just taking the time to listen to albums all the way through.

4 Likes

I recently rediscovered this Boz record, I forgot I had it in my collection. A gem.
Boz & turntable

1 Like

I found a notable slice of nostalgia from my mid-1980s middle school days at a local used record store today. A 1985 vinyl pressing that sounds great.
I found an original pressing of the third Run-D.M.C. album, Raising Hell, at a used record store a few months back. Now that I have their second album, I’ll be on the lookout for the debut (my favorite), although I’ll probably have to go with a reissue.

4 Likes

My setup, thanks to an old roll-top desk that I never use for its intended purpose.

6 Likes

Of potential interest to fellow vinyl aficionados. Per the Vinyl Nation website there are no screenings currently scheduled but there is apparently one in the works for the Chelsea Theatre in Chapel Hill, NC. I’m also not aware of any type of DVD release. However, if you’re interested in seeing it in your area and know of a theatre or some other establishment that would be open to hosting a screening there’s contact info on their website.

3 Likes

My prized vinyl possession: an original 1980 UK pressing of the 7” single of The Cure’s “A Forest”

6 Likes

When my first ex and I split, I kept the kid and he kept the records. I knew I could rebuild a collection, but I could keep my ex MIL from having much to do with my daughter. There is a story there. But not for this thread.

I started rebuilding about ten years ago, when I finally had disposable income to spend on one or two records every month or so from one of the local second hand vinyl shops on the city. My girls now buy me records for gifts, because they just get me. I got Emmylou Harris and Tears for Fears for Christmas.

8 Likes

Picked these up from my local church garage sale.

1 Like

Hi! I’ve been collecting all the reissued vinyl records but I think I missed Fables of the Reconstruction. That was reissued, wasn’t it…?

3 Likes

Yes, it was. Discogs has some copies of the reissue but they’re not cheap. The original versions are less expensive.

5 Likes

(as posted today elsewhere on the interwebz)

Up with Saturday.

R.E.M.
Up
1998 Warner Bros. Records

“Great opportunity blinks…”

I’m glad (very small amounts of) vinyl was still being pressed in 1998, by major labels even, I’m glad that R.E.M. insisted on every record they did getting a vinyl release (my gut says that was a Peter Buck thing), I’m glad someone bought this, and I’m glad that somehow it landed with me today. This goes for insane pricing on Discogs, which I would never pay (especially with this likely being reissued next year on its 25th anniversary). I hate when record stores use Discogs to price their wares - you know who you are - and I’m grateful not every store just tries to rip off their customers. This first post-Bill Berry “three-legged dog” R.E.M. album isn’t without its faults - it’s probably two-tree songs too long, for starters, and other songs themselves could use some of Bill’s famous editing, but it’s definitely not a “bad” album. Not when Reveal and Around The Sun exist, not to mention Accelerate and Collapse Into Now. I actually like it now far more than I did on release (I blame my feelings colored by the 12:30AM speeding ticket during “You’re In The Air” the Lombard, IL police thankfully gave me on my way home from the midnight sale at Tower Records in Lincoln Park), and it definitely gets the most play of any of the post-Bill albums in this house.

OG US 2xLP pressing.

3 Likes

I used to enjoy the record conventions. Went to a few with a friend who was a huge collector from before it all died and got cool again (80s)

1 Like

An original 1980 UK pressing of The Cure -Seventeen Seconds with the textured cover sleeve.

I broke my “Never spend more than $50 on a vinyl record.” rule for this Sleeve = VG/Disc = NM copy, but it’s my all-time favorite album.

5 Likes

I have this Cure record on vinyl too but it’s not an original master recording though. Lucky you.

1 Like

This is my set up. Approx 1850 bits in total. I do a little bit of Northern Soul DJing locally, and probably have 400 7"s I use for that also.

Favourite bits include complete UK original sets of The Jam, Billy Bragg and the Smiths LPs, and a Motown 7" box set.

7 Likes

This photo of a Camelot Music store (location unknown) was recently posted in one of the R.E.M. groups on FB. I’d seen it before but what I didn’t notice was the Lifes Rich Pageant display in the background. Where I grew up (Eastern NC) record stores were few and far between but we did have a Camelot Music and a few independent stores. I shopped at all of them but Camelot had the best selection by far. Over the years, I also built a rapport with the manager, who, I’m pretty sure, may have stocked some R.E.M. items knowing she had at least one customer that would purchase them. The vast majority of my early vinyl collection came from Camelot, including most of my R.E.M. albums.

4 Likes

Amongst R.E.M. & Bruce Springsteen in the pic , I couldn’t help notice the magnificent 80’s hair! Great photo.

4 Likes

That is some spectacular hair.

3 Likes