Death is pretty final. I'm collecting vinyl

Cords you said?

4 Likes

XYX is my favorite song on this one, @inspectorjason .

1 Like

These are like Dead Letter Office, b-sides and songs that never really saw daylight. At times, you can see Shadow feeling out himself and becoming the DJ, he was to become.

1 Like

Well, seeing as we’re doing cord pics…

4 Likes

We might have to start a cord thread. :rofl:

4 Likes

If for, Psycho Killer alone…

3 Likes

My goal is to build the ideal Chicago OG punk / hardcore / postpunk / noise rock collection, as well as every record that meant something from when I first discovered “real” music (e.g. LRP in ‘86, New Order’s Low-life around the same time, etc.), as well as just good music. And unless there’s no other option, no silly represses/reissues. This is probably around 80% original or first pressings - and I’m still finding deals today (like an OG My Bloody Valentine Glider EP for $40 a few weeks back, insane considering average Discogs pricing). I started in late 2016 with a single crate of vinyl I’d lugged around since college in the early 90s, and built this up since. Immediately after the first lockdown ended and retail reopened here in Buffalo in summer 2020 was a literal goldmine for vinyl; most shops continued making collection buys even when closed and a significant chunk of the population seemingly still didn’t feel comfortable shopping, so I probably found a hundred absolute steals and gems over a few-month period that I’d never seen before or since. My Discogs collection is here, it’s 99% complete for 12”-sized things, probably 75% for 7”s, and woefully incomplete for CDs (less than 10%).

I started with a Technics SL-QD33 that lasted me from senior year in high school 1989 thru 2014 when it seized up and died, then an Audio-Technica LP120 as a post-Cubs World Series gift to myself in late 2016, then an amazing like-new 1979 Technics SL-5200 semi-automatic Craigslist find in early 2018 for $100 which I adore.

7 Likes

I have a turntable. It’s Bluetooth. I have it set up to work in an old Victrola that I also use as a bar. I still have my original vinyl—some was given to me, some was bought. I have a few newer things I’ve bought, but not much. Most recently, I bought the Pylon box.

Right now I can’t get to most of my albums because it’s tucked behind my dining room table that is now my desk.

6 Likes

My vinyl collection is largely autobiographical, consisting of stuff that entertained me at various points during my life, with no regard for indie credibility.

I loved hearing Billy Joel’s The Stranger when I was a kid in the late 1970s, so it’s represented in my vinyl collection with an original pressing.
My first favorite band during childhood was Daryl Hall and John Oates, and the first album I ever owned was Daryl Hall and John Oates - Private Eyes. As such, I’ve got original pressings of Voices, Private Eyes, H2O, and Big Bam Boom in my collection.

A fun recent purchase was the 2019 reissue of Janet Jackson’s Rhythm Nation 1814, which presents the complete album on vinyl for the first time. When I was younger, I never considered myself an outright Janet Jackson fan. I always just had a general “How can anybody possibly dislike Janet Jackson?” mindset. In recent years, though, I started going back and immersing myself in a couple of her albums, because the music brings back a flood of high school memories.

So, my vinyl collection is all over the place. You may see an obscure post-punk/goth band like Actors next to Bryan Adams - Reckless in my bins, or see Kim Wilde next to Wire’s Pink Flag in my bins.

5 Likes

@inspectorjason, have you ever listened to Slate’s Hit Parade podcast? They recently had one on Hall & Oates.

1 Like

I’ll have to look that podcast up. I’ve seen Hall & Oates twice in recent years. They’re fun in concert.

2 Likes

For the most part, my collection has never been geared towards rarities. I have a few Record Store Day titles that may fit that description. I also have Skynyrd’s Street Survivors flame cover but it is not nearly as rare as folks seem to think it is. Aside from those, I’m guessing the rarest items I have in my collection are a first pressing of “Radio Free Europe” on Hib-Tone and all the fanclub singles. Otherwise, I have just purchased music I like. Same for my CD’s. In other words, I don’t necessarily think of myself as a collector in the sense that I seek out rare records. I’m not even much of a completist, even when it comes to R.E.M.

4 Likes

I’m a wannabe D.J.,and generally and whole-heartedly, love music and sound for that matter.

I was a radio DJ (1982-1994) but never much of a club one. That started to change in recent years. In the Triangle area of NC where I recently lived I have some friends that DJ fairly regularly using vinyl. Three or so years ago I invested in a DJ setup (sans speakers) and was starting to dabble in it, then Covid happened. Where I live now there is no such scene.

I need this record. Someday.

1 Like

Great hearing from you, Jason! This past Saturday I was listening to your excellent “Punk Mix”. Yes, I still have a CD player …

3 Likes

Which record?

Best of Kansas. Not that it’s rare I just don’t have it.

I still listen to CDs as well, mainly while driving. I stopped making mix CDs when I bought a MacBook without a disc drive, but I still have all of my old mixes.

2 Likes

I mostly listen to vinyl these days, at least at home.

8 Likes