Currently Listening

I’ve been listening to a lot of reggae. I may be wrong but when I first started streaming on Apple Music several years ago, I don’t recall being able to search via record labels. Now, you can. So I’ve found lots of good stuff by searching for the Trojan and Studio 1 labels. Rocksteady and roots reggae are my favorites so it’s mostly been older titles. I have to admit I’m pretty out of touch with contemporary reggae and am not sure what I’d find that’s strictly in the roots style.

3 Likes

Thanks for this. I’m no longer trying to figure it out thanks to you!

1 Like

I love Jamaican music. Can I recommend you try to listen to the David Rodigan shows on BBC Radio 1XTRA? I listen through the BBC Sounds app. You may need a VPN if you are in the US. He plays a broad range from 60s ska to present day dancehall, and has the most brilliant broadcasting voice. His book Rodigan - my life in Reggae is a good read. Every time I listen to reggae it takes me to a hot, humid place. Pure escapism. Will dig a few of my 7s out and post pics.

1 Like

I’ve been listening to NAIHF a lot recently. I just swim in the beauty of this. Up there with their very, very best.

6 Likes

The Wind and the Wave - Happiness is Not a Place

1 Like

I’ve been listening to Gaz Coombes lately. Especially Long Live the Strange is a very nice one…

3 Likes

I believe by the beginning of June I’d broken free of listening to most everything from the boygenius (and related) universe, not that that’s a bad thing. I thought seeing them in mid-June might re-trigger that but it didn’t turn out to be the case. My latest deep dive has been into lots of vintage reggae, rocksteady, and ska. For the past week or so, with few exceptions it’s mostly been a mix of the old and familiar.

Trailer Bride - Smelling Salts
Whiskeytown - Faithless Street (Expanded)
John Prine - Bruised Orange
Nanci Griffith - Lone Star State of Mind
Guy Clark - Old No. 1
Little Feat - Sailin’ Shoes
Leon Russell - Hank Wilson’s Back, Vol. 1
Waylon Jennings - Honky Tonk Heroes
R.E.M. - Reckoning
Lilly Hiatt - Walking Proof
Frazey Ford - Indian Ocean
Megafaun - Gather, Form & Fly
The Pioneers - Long Shot
Desmond Dekker - Rudy Got Soul

3 Likes

Gosh I don’t know any of these apart from Reckoning :astonished:

My chronological listening order continues to 1988, I don’t have many for this year.
R.E.M. - Green
Kate Ceberano & Wendy Matthews - You’ve Always Got The Blues
Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
Edie Brickell & New Bohemiams - Shooting Rubberbands At The Stars.

4 Likes

First Aid Kit released some bonus tracks for last year’s Palomino, so back on that again. Saw FAK in concert last week which was great as well.

1 Like
6 Likes

So glad the Connells are making music again. Though I miss George Huntley’s contributions their latest album is an excellent effort.

2 Likes

They’ve continued to perform live, this is just their first album of new music since 2001,

1 Like

Steadmans Wake is such a good album, and the Live album that was just released.

Some of my favourite artists that had their hayday back in the 1990s such as Toad The Wet Sprocket, Gin Blossoms and Del Amitri and come back with very good albums in the past few years.

2 Likes

Currently listening to Sinead O’Connor. :frowning:

3 Likes

Same here… So sad.

Two of my absolute favourites:

2 Likes

I’m sad too. :broken_heart:
I listened to her first record several months ago. In this sad time I want to listen to Sinead again. One my fav songs from her debut album, from a VHS recorded live at the Dominion Theatre in London June 3, 1988.

3 Likes

Remembering Randy Meisner, 1946 – 2023

2 Likes

Local movie theater showed the 1983 film Local Hero for its 40th anniversary. Lovely movie. I hadn’t seen it before, but I already knew the soundtrack.

4 Likes

The Baseball Project new LP is great, loving that even if I’m not even pretending to understand a lot of the baseball lingo.

Been listening to Nick Drake a lot recently as I’ve been reading the new biography of him. Can’t help but think that if Island had release Hazey Jane II as a single and promoted it things may have worked out differently for him. It may not have helped his illness, but you never know.

3 Likes