Julia Jacklin Crushing
Beach House Bloom
Guy Clark Texas Cookin’
Mary Gauthier Mercy Now
Gillian Welch Time (The Revelator)
Beth Orton Daybreaker

4 Likes

Matt Nathanson, Boston Accent:

I listened to Matt a lot from around 2001-2008, probably he was my favorite artist for at least a few of those years. He suddenly had a hit song in 2007 (“Come On Get Higher”) and I sort of lost interest. Which sounds bad, ha. But it was more about a change in his songwriting, not “popular now he sucks”.

Last year I randomly listened to his new album, and really I rather liked it. Apparently for this one he consciously tried to go back to his older singer-songwriter-acoustic style (which is what I liked back in the day).

I still love “First Time” though. (Originally from 1997)

3 Likes

Today I started a five week break from work. Yay! I’ve got maintenance and decluttering to do at home. I also want to go on journeys to places I don’t visit very often like the city and small country towns. I have World Party - Private Revolution playing in my car this week.
“All I Really Want To Do”

3 Likes

So this morning it’s this. There’s something about the consistent humming bass line, soaring strings and the lyrics especially " so smile for a while and let’s be jolly, love shouldn’t be so melancholy". Jolly is a great word meaning “joyful, slightly drunk, festive, jovial, very pleasant, delightful” Middle English from the old french “jolif” gay, pretty or perhaps Old Norse jol=yule (according to the OED)

Look at the blonde guy dancing he’s really enjoying himself!

2 Likes

I’m off to see Dolly Parton tribute band next month at my local Arts Centre. Soooo looking forward to that! Islands In the Stream, that is what we are! I’ve got all the gear- cowboy hat etc ready .

1 Like

I have Midnight Oil - “Deisel and Dust” playing in the car. My fav track from this record is “Dead Heart”’
“Put Down That Weapon” is in the moment for me right now…“They keep talking about it…”

3 Likes

Some classic Hip Hop albums since Friday evening.

3 Likes

More Hip Hop this Sunday…

1 Like

From 1987, Guns N’ Roses “Äppetite For Destruction” This is one of those records I’ve bought after hearing just one song & it’s the best song on the record imo.
“Sweet Child o’ Mine”

1 Like

Tom Petty - Live Anthology

R.E.M. Document. 1987 - Sign O’Times, Welcome to the Jungle, Ship Of Fools, crazy world indeed.
“Fireplace”

Yes this got voted no.1 in the top 100 guitar anthems on Absolute Radio recently over here- Guns n Roses that is…!

1 Like

As for Document- ahead of its time, of its time, out of time, predicting the future, telling of the past, maybe the times are changing but maybe plus ca change plus c’est la meme chose! The World has always been and will always be a crazy place, we just have to try and bear it with humour…(if you ask me)

I listened to that record all the way through once this week and replayed that song several times just to relive Slash’s awesome guitar solo. :guitar:

My favorite full-length album of 2023 so far is Apotheosis Pageant, from the Los Angeles synth act, More Ephemerol.
I love the “minimal wave” soundscapes. Sort of like early stuff from The Human League.

2 Likes

Been reading David Rodigans excellent autobiography this past week, and reminding myself of some of the wonderful Jamaican music he has championed over the years.

The wonderful Bob Andy

And the brilliant “reggae poet” Linton Kwesi Johnson

3 Likes

I’ll have to check them out, I’m a big fan of the late Adrian Borland’s work. From the Lion’s Mouth is a lost post punk masterpiece

2 Likes

Tonight I’m listening to demos from Tame Impala - Lonerism, 10th Anniversary Edition. I have the cd released 10 years ago, I really can’t afford Aus$120 for this recent edition right now, I’m happy the demos have been put up for a listen though.

1 Like

I’ve woken up with this in my head this morning but also with the lyrics “Dreams they complicate my life” but I can’t remember which track they’re from!

1 Like

The line you mention comes from “Get Up” from Green.

1 Like