Currently Listening

Jason, have you, by any chance, ever heard of a Brazilian synthpop duo from the late 80s named Tek Noir? Not that I’m fully recommending them at this point, but I used to love their first album, and it’s virtually unknown even in Brazil. Here’s three tracks for you to get acquainted.

2 Likes

I am not familiar with Tek Noir, although the name has popped up on my radar before. I’m liking the tunes!

2 Likes

This past fall, I saw the local Atlanta hardcore punk band, Upchuck, hot on the heels of their debut full-length LP, Sense Yourself, perform one of the most energetic concerts of the year at a small East Atlanta venue.
I am going to be at a work conference in Athens, Georgia for a few days this coming week, with my evenings free. When I found out that Upchuck will be playing at 40 Watt Club, walking distance from my hotel, for $12 on one of those evenings, I hurriedly grabbed a ticket so that I can jump into the fray again. This band is going places.

1 Like

Listening to Life’s Rich Pageant, it sounds to me, R.E.M. were starting to come into the forefront.

2 Likes

I was fortunate where I was living at the time as they received support going all the way back to Murmur from one of the local AOR stations. Whereas, it seems that wasn’t necessarily the case throughout the U.S. where most of the support was coming from college radio. At least that’s my understanding. It also wasn’t until Lifes Rich Pageant that I recall hearing “Superman” at a gas station or restaurant during a trip to the mountains. For some of the fans that adhere strongly to the indie cred thing, that’s a dealbreaker. R.E.M. were supposed to remain obscure and continue to perform the jangle pop that defined the early records on I.R.S. for the entirety of their career. Anything outside of that was considered a betrayal. There’s also this thing where some have said they couldn’t make out the vocals until Document. They sound crystal clear to me on Lifes Rich Pageant, as does Bill’s drumming. From everything I remember reading, it was by design and was meant to lend them more commercial radio appeal, which is one of the reasons they went with Don Gehman as a producer.

2 Likes

I’ve been doing dry January, so tonight I’m having my first beers for more than a month and I’m feeling a little nostalgic. I’m reliving my early 20s and listening to some albums that I loved back then.

Started with 100% Colombian by Fun Lovin’ Criminals. That held up better than I expected.

Then it was The Optimist LP by Turin Brakes. Brilliant album, then and now.

Just finishing up Moon Safari by Air, one of my all time favourites.

Not sure what’s next. Maybe I’ll listen to Up

2 Likes

1 Like

When I saw Suki Waterhouse at a small venue here in Atlanta this past Friday, I was equally taken with the opening act, Blondshell. Right after the Blondshell set, I preordered her self-titled debut album, due in April, from my phone.

These songs are pretty amazing. I think that her debut is going to do well this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TAPFUrk-nw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb3ZlYG1cKA

2 Likes

Records I have from 1987, This chronological listening experience I started from 1982 the year Chronic Town was released. It’s enjoyable but also work. I go to albumoftheyear.org, lucky I can still remember which records I have. Then I have to find them. My cd’s are filed in good order, my older records not so much, I have to do some searching. Still it’s great to get these out, some I haven’t listened to in years. Highlights for me so far from the previous years, R.E.M. - Chronic Town, Murmur & Lifes Rich Pageant, Roxy Music - Avalon, U2 - War, Hoodoo Gurus - Stoneage Romeos, Rickie Lee Jones - The Magazine, Style Council - Cafe Bleu.
Anyway, 1987

R.E.M. - Document, Dead Letter Office
World Party - Private Revolution
Midnight Oil - Diesel and Dust
Guns & Roses - Appetite for Destruction
Prince - Sign 'O The Times
U2 - The Joshua Tree
The Pretenders - The Singles
Gypsy Kings - Self titled
John Cougar Mellencamp - The Lonesome Jubilee
10,000 Maniacs - In My Tribe
Sinead O’Connor - The Lion and the Cobra

2 Likes

Brilliant bass line and as mentioned cool Bryan Ferry type voice and lyrics. He was my second pin up between Donny Osmond and David Bowie ( mainly on account of listening to my older sister’s records). Just goes to show how older generations influence the youngsters.

I saw the New York City electro-pop duo, Water From Your Eyes, open for Interpol last year. I love their trippy genre-hopping songs.
The first of these videos is from their upcoming album for Matador Records…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tdPKlYTWn4

2 Likes

It’s really hard to categorise this isn’t it? Kind of Arthouse/Avant Garde. A bit Andy Warhol (somehow). Definitely different :notes: :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Billy Bragg - Workers Playtime. It came up on a shuffle on my Discogs so I dusted it down and it sounds great. This was just before BB worked with REM on his Dont Try This At Home LP.

Bob Dylan - Time Out Of Mind. I know all about the history, and how great some of his legendary back catalogue is, but this is my favourite Dylan album as it was the first one I got into. See also Tom Waits - Heart of Saturday Night; Van Morrison - Back On Top.

4 Likes

I don’t know if I could name a favorite Dylan album but Time Out of Mind would have to be up there. I’d long been a fan but didn’t own anything but the first Greatest Hits collection. In the 90s, the first three volumes of the Bootleg Series along with Time Out of Mind (as well as seeing him in concert for the first time) are what made me the fan I am today. I own most every volume of the Bootleg Series so, that’s how I’ve been introduced to most of his pre-Time Out of Mind albums.

I recently went down the Phoebe Bridgers rabbit hole, listening to pretty much everything of hers I could find, including her work with Boygenius and Better Oblivion Community Center. I followed that up with Alvvays’ debut album and Crushing by Julia Jacklin.

2 Likes

I had an Alvvays binge yesterday. All three albums, back to back.

I’m currently listening to the Lonnie Holley album. Quite like it. Some great guest appearances.

3 Likes

Or it can put people off as they’re thinking as you walk past "Who is this weirdo smiling at me? Do I know them? " :laughing:

I came across Alice Ivy on youtube recently, she plays guitar and plays around with mixes and electonica.
She has two albums “I’m Dreaming” (2018) & “Don’t Sleep” (2020).
This track is “Touch” from her first record - I’m Dreaming.

1 Like

Happy Easter. :hatching_chick: I didn’t mind working this Easter weekend, I get double pay and there’s less traffic on the roads. I currently have The Pretenders - The Singles playing in my car.

“Back On The Chain Gang”
https://youtu.be/bDpn6dJ68dQ

4 Likes

Well it’s 5.54am here so it’s Early Morning…

2 Likes

I can’t stop listening to their music either. There’s something about the voice, the lyrics, the attitude, the appearance, in fact the whole set up!