Currently Listening

Contrary to popular belief, I don’t think artists intentionally include unwanted material on albums in order to pad them out so they reach a certain length. I believe this to be especially true if the artist is prolific and there’s an arduous screening process to determine which songs make the final cut. If the songs are on there, they’re on there for a reason. Perhaps some fans may not care for them but doesn’t automatically make them filler. That’s my take.

No, I don’t think it’s intentional either. But it happens. It’s an editing issue.

Bill Berry was rumoured to be the ‘editor’ in R.E.M. and it’s been argued that Up, Reveal and Around the Sun are all too long. That said, no-one can ever agree which songs to drop! And Hi-Fi was the longest, which obviously he was involved with!

Anyway, I guess I’m just not generally a fan of albums with more than 12 songs. Apart from Up. And Hi-Fi. And lots of others. Not really sure what my point is anymore…

2 Likes

Not sure if it’s pandemic related or not but since I’ve started listening to full length albums again I don’t really want to listen to any album beyond the standard length of 40 minutes or so. I’m sure I’ll reach that point again but at present, with few exceptions, I’m not there. To clarify, I went close to two years without listening to hardly any music in my car of any length. At home, it was just songs or short live performances on my laptop. During that time I never came close to losing interest in listening to music or anything but returning to listening to full length albums has been a reawakening of sorts. I’m not sure what my point is either but there you go.

2 Likes

Kelly and I have been remembering music we like that we don’t have on cd and we’ve been picking that up here and there - some Cars and Joni Mitchell, some Dire Straits, and even Norma Tanega (if you’ve seen the US version of “What We Do In The Shadows,” the theme song is her “You’re Dead”). I liked some Mountain Goats I heard somewhere, and I’ve read and loved all three of John Darnielle’s books, so I’m thinking of picking up some of their albums. But it’s a lie to say I’m “currently listening” to any of it!

I don’t drive as much as I used to, and that was where I tended to listen to music. I have a problem just sitting and listening to music if I’m not doing something with my hands. Kathleen just gave me a pair of Bluetooth ear buds, so I’m thinking I should load more music on my phone and listen to it while going about my business at home. Maybe I’ll take up knitting again!

5 Likes

I drive around a lot at work, it’s when I listen to cds. I listen to records mostly while I’m doing housework, usually on a Saturday morning because the rest of the family go shopping and I have the house to myself. I’m sitting listening to music on my pc in the evenings with headphones.

2 Likes

I too knew them mainly from “3 A.M. Eternal”, “Last Train to Trancentral” and “Justified and Ancient”. So was pleasantly surprised when I discovered “Chill Out” through a fellow humanitarian worker. We would listen to this while rocket shells were exploding in the distance. Also discovered the connection between Justified Ancients of Mu Mu (another name for the KLF, in addition to The Timelords) and The Illuminatus! Trilogy by Robert Shea and Robert Anton Wilson - one of the wildest books I’ve ever read - Justified Ancients of Mummu being a Discordian group mentioned in the book.

1 Like

I think an album under 45 minutes is a perfect length. Having said that Both Up and New Adventures in Hi-Fi are up there in terms of my favourite R.E.M. albums, while the shorter Accelerate is my least favourite. As for Blue Rev, I think it suffers from sounding quite bit the same from start to end.

Most of my music listening takes place in the vehicle, since my work vehicle has a CD player.

When I listen to records at home, though, I either pace around the living room or play Spider Solitaire/Minesweeper on my laptop while I am listening. I also have trouble just sitting and listening.

2 Likes

I hear a good bit of variety on Blue Rev. Not saying that to be contrary, it’s honestly what I hear.

When you were younger did you ever just kick back in your bedroom (or wherever) and listen to an entire album or have you always been a bit restless when listening? It’s funny, there’s this whole thing now called “Deep Listening” that used to just be called “Listening to a Record” when I was coming along. I like the concept but it was born out of there being so many distractions that now, for many of us, it takes a concentrated effort to listen to an entire album and do nothing but listen. There are even deep listening events where no talking or devices are allowed. The goal is simply to listen to an album from start to finish.

1 Like

When I was younger, I used to lie on the bed and just listen to headphones a lot, but I was usually also doing something with my hands, like throwing a baseball into the air constantly or twirling a drum stick.
I’ve always been a bit restless. I also paced around my room listening to music a lot.

Since I started my vinyl hobby a few years ago, I listen-listen-type-listen to albums with more undivided attention, but I am still usually doing something with my hands or pacing around the room.

3 Likes

You probably already know all this, but they are absolute madmen who describe themselves as art terrorists.

They were involved with the post punk Liverpool scene around the Erics club in the late 70s that spawned Teardrop Explodes, Echo and the Bunnymen, Wah! etc.

Bill Drummonds book 45 is well worth picking up. Its a great read.

2 Likes

Yep. Got it. Also John Higgs’ The KLF: Chaos, Magic and the Band Who Burned A Million Pounds and Ian Shirley’s Turn Up The Strobe: The KLF, The JAMS, The Timelords - A History, as well as 2023: A Trilogy

Beyond the music, I just love these guys for their antics.

1 Like

Glove = a synth-pop band from Tampa, Florida.
I have never seen them in concert before, although they have opened for a few bands here in Atlanta. I am loving the new album, though.

3 Likes

I found my missing Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers record! My filing system isn’t up to scratch.

2 Likes

From 1986 -

R.E.M - Life’s Rich Pageant
The Cure - Standing On A Beach. (Singles compilation)
Hunters & Collectors - Human Frailty
Paul Simon - Graceland
Jackson Browne - Lives In The Balance

3 Likes

I know nothing about Hunters and Collectors, other than their singer’s brother is Crowded House bassist Nick Seymour, and Crowded House used to cover one of their songs. It’s a brilliant song!

2 Likes

:two_hearts:
https://youtu.be/QFFnxWnGR3Y

2 Likes

The new track by The National is getting a loooooot of play in my house. I heard it a lot of times during the tour last year and it was a quick favorite but the bridge of this version is just… stellar.

3 Likes

As usual, I like your recommendations a lot when it comes to goth-like post-punk bass-based stuff.

2 Likes