Currently Listening

After seeing TRAITRS open for She Past Away a couple of weeks ago, I am going down the rabbit hole with their albums tonight…

1 Like

Eva Dahlgren - En blekt blondins hjärta
En blekt blondins hjärta by Swedish singer Eva Dahlgren (early 1990s)

Susheela Raman - Salt Rain
Salt Rain by Susheela Raman (Tamil singer from the UK)

https://youtu.be/v283ifzRlKM

Fatoumata Diawara - Fatou
Fatou by Fatoumata Diawara (amazing singer originally from Mali)

Fatoumata Diawara - Fenfo
Fenfo - Fatoumata Diawara

Amazing song, video filmed in Afar, Ethiopia. I once traveled by road from Semara in Afar to Mek’ele in Tigray. Spectacular country - sad what’s happening there now.

2 Likes

That Big Thief album is a strong candidate for album of the year, IMO

3 Likes

Unless something changes, that album for me will be Welcome 2 Club XIII by Drive-By Truckers though I’m sure Big Thief won’t be far behind.

1 Like

Records from 1985

R.E.M. - Fables Of The Reconstruction
The Style Council - Our Favourite Shop
Kate Bush - Hounds Of Love
Sting - The Dream Of The Blue Turtles

I know I also had Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms, Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Southern Accents, & Scritti Politti - Cupid & Psyche 85, but I can’t find them. I must have lent them to someone and never got them back or they’re stored somewhere else in the house , wishful thinking.
Also a new arrival this week,

Robyn Hitchcock - Shufflemania

1 Like

I saw the Texas band, NITE, play at the Seditionfest here in Atlanta this fall, and spent a long while talking to the twin brothers at the merch table. They’re incredibly nice people, and they have some killer tunes. This is a brand new video.

Here’s another…

3 Likes

The Weepies (Deb Talan & Steve Tannen) album Sirens.

“No Trouble”:

3 Likes

I loved Mark Knopfler’s early solo music! For some reason (well, kids and work and general stodginess of age), we lost track of newer music, and I never heard his newer work. I’ll have to remedy that!

2 Likes

A lot of his music sounds similar in a lot of ways… he found the stuff he likes to write and play and sticks with it for the most part. So it might be a bit random which ones connected with me or with other people. Like I said though, I really liked Tracker from his more recent albums.

I did get to see him live once in 2008 which was awesome. He’s always been one of my favorite guitarists.

1 Like

Recent purchases arrived this week.

The Alvvays
Flaming Lips - In a Priest Driven Ambulance, Transmissions From The Satellite Heart,
Robyn Hitchcock - Sufflemania!

2 Likes

Curious to know what you think of the Alvvays. I feel like I’ve given their most recent album (Blue Rev) more than a fair shake at this point but it’s still the debut I feel compelled to return to most often. That is not at all meant to discount what they’ve released since then. I love those records as well but it’s the debut I love the most.

Have had this on repeat these past few days. Love this album - one of my all time favourites. First bought it on CD, and then got hold of unofficial vinyl pressing. Sounds good, actually.

Chill Out - The KLF

Dream Time In Lake Jackson

Elvis On The Radio, Steel Guitar In My Soul

1 Like

I’m mildly obsessed with The War On Drugs - I Don’t Live Here Anymore at the moment. Brilliant album. I’ve had a listen to some earlier stuff by them and, despite being fairly similar sonically, they ain’t connecting yet. But this one, I love.

Not that you asked me, but I probably like all three albums about the same. I do feel that Blue Rev is a bit long. There’s definitely an album’s worth of great stuff in there, but it could’ve done with some editing. But I like them all about the same. Maybe because I discovered them all at once? Dunno.

The Los Angeles post-punk trio, Automatic, released my favorite album of 2022 and played two of the better shows that I have seen this year, at the Cruel World festival in California and at a tiny venue here in Atlanta. This brand new live set at the KEXP studio in Seattle showcases the band at their best. Enjoy!

4 Likes

It would be hard for me to think of an album that clocks in at 38:52 (as Blue Rev does) as being too long. That’s the typical length of a vinyl record. In other words, it’s not like a CD where every spare second available was used.

It just feels long to me. Too many songs? It has 14. The first two have 19 combined. Maybe I need more time to digest it. As I say, when it’s good, it’s great. But it feels like there’s a bit of filler on there.

I’m only familiar with the KLF through the spectacular and euphoric Last Train To Trancentral from The White Room, would have been my first introduction to house music.

2 Likes

I played it in the car today, first listen, lifted my spirits while I was driving, their sound is joyous. :musical_score: :two_hearts:

1 Like

I did enjoy! :+1: