Currently Listening

Wish I’d dived into Alvvays a little earlier - just noticed that they played a nice small venue about an hour away from where I live just over a week ago! Oh well…

2 Likes

I’ve been aware of them for a while but as mentioned, only took the plunge around this time last year. I’m sure previous tours brought them to my area on more than one occasion.

2 Likes

Vision Video is a goth band from Athens, Georgia. The frontman, Dusty Gannon, dresses and looks like Robert Smith of The Cure, but he served in Afghanistan and then returned home to work as a firefighter and an EMT. The lyrics are inspired by real life horrors that he experienced, but the music has an uncannily buoyant sense of fun. Gannon has a social media page, “Goth Dad”, where he tells goofy goth jokes. He has a hearse parked in at his house in Athens, and his whole place is full of 1980s horror movie posters. This band’s whole approach is a trip in that sense.

3 Likes

This week, records I have from 1984.

4 Likes

Bunch of Mark Knopfler’s solo albums recently.

The song “What It Is”, from 2000’s Sailing to Philadelphia is my favorite song of his post-Dire Straits, and maybe top 3 including DS (after “Tunnel of Love” and “Romeo and Juliet”). I just found out two decades later that apparently there was an extended version recorded with an additional verse:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ1pd4BH13M

So that’s cool.

For what it’s worth, my favorite Mark solo albums:

Sailing to Philadelphia (2000)
All the Roadrunning (2006) (this is a duet album with Emmylou Harris)
Kill to Get Crimson (2007)
Tracker (2015)

4 Likes

In the car, some purchases arrived this week. So much good music out there yet to be discovered & life is too short!

5 Likes

Moved house in August. The new house is still a chaotic house/storage facility combo, so the record player isn’t set up yet. Just discovered I can put Spotify on the TV! After listening to the new Haines/Buck album I’m now listening to the first Alvvays one, which has been on constant rotation for a couple of weeks now.

4 Likes

The Alvvays are on my next purchases list. Heard a few songs on here, I love what I’ve heard so far.

3 Likes

They’re my current favorite band. That said, it’s taking me some time to warm up to the new one. My favorite is their debut.

2 Likes

Noted. Thanks x

1 Like

I’m still enjoying their debut. Will move on to album 2 soon. I wanted to get to know the albums separately.

2 Likes

“Archie, Marry Me” is what hooked me followed shortly by “Next of Kin.” From there, I delved into more individual songs and live performances but not the albums as a whole. To my ears, they set the bar high with their debut. To their credit, they have continued to evolve rather than staying with a singular sound. I love them.

3 Likes

Chris Stapleton From A Room Volume 1

3 Likes

New arrival.

4 Likes

Nice. Still waiting form my copy to arrive.

After the first play, so different to the other music I’m listening to at the moment. I’m on to disc 2. So far I’m hearing it somewhat dark, at times a bit menacing & the lyrics humorous. An interesting one for sure.

1 Like

The US version is out on yellow and blue vinyl. I’m not sure what difference that makes, but I am still totally (and curiously) jealous…

2 Likes

Optimus Prime made the ultimate sacrifice to save all of us on Earth. As such, I am paying respect by spinning the soundtrack to the 1986 film that chronicles his final brave battle.

1 Like

New First Aid Kit album, Palomino.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APMqAFAU5hw

3 Likes

This weekend…

cranberries
In the End by The Cranberries

julie
Gach Sgeul by Julie Fowlis

kokoro
KoKoro by El Perro Del Mar

Vel

Vel by Susheela Raman

Susheela Raman is one of my favourite singers. This one is sung in Tamil - a language I speak. Takes me back to eastern Sri Lanka and the sounds of from the Hindu temples. [Paal / பால் = milk]

1 Like