Currently Listening

3 Likes

Got my turn table back!
This week -

2 Likes

I have the new track by The National and Bon Iver on repeat right now -

https://youtu.be/zcII2C6yh0A

5 Likes

Currently cleaning a few records on my new ultrasonic cleaner, and listening to the Stone Roses. They were the 17 year old me’s favourite band, and their music has stayed with me.

Currently a nice 19 degrees here in Chester and I think were about to get rained on. Sat under the decking roof and I think Murmur is next up.

2 Likes

And now onto Kathryn Williams Night Moves. Starting to get cold though…!

2 Likes

I’ve had a long-standing crush on Zooey Deschanel. I knew she sang - she’s sung in a couple of movies, as well as guesting on the first Tired Pony album. What I didn’t know until recently was that she is part of a musical duo with M Ward called She & Him.

And they’re really rather good!

They’ve had a few albums of originals as well as a covers album, two Christmas albums, and a tribute album to Brian Wilson.

So I’ve been listening to a lot of that. Here’s one of their own…

3 Likes

A stayer this week playing in my car when I get bored with the radio.

1 Like

Got my beautiful orange vinyl of Dimanche À Bamako by Malian musicians Amadou & Mariam on my turntable. Sounds amazing! From 2015, produced by Manu Chao.

This track is very Manu Chau heavy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J43T8rEOg-I&ab_channel=Amadou%26Mariam

1 Like

My picture disc of Chronic Town arrived this week! Also, listening to the records I have from the same year, 1982. Haven’t listened to these records for years.

Edit - On the weekend.
Cold Chisel - “Circus Animals” - Probably their best record. I must have out grown squealing intricate rock guitar solos, kind of annoying to me now, still it’s a good record.
The Jam - “The Gift” - Chaotic.
Prince - “1999” - Make the most it, we could all die any day.
Roxy Music - “Avalon” - Classy record
R.E.M. - “Chronic Town” - I can’t wait to hear their next one.

2 Likes

Friday afternoon. Tiken Jah Fakoly’s “L’Africain”. Social conscious Reggae pop from Ivory Coast.

https://youtu.be/ui4eKnA2RlM

2 Likes

1983, the year Murmur was released.

3 Likes

Back home from Jordan. On my turntable today.

Hugh Masekela - I Am Not Afraid (1974)

Sade - Diamond Life

Nitin Sawhney - Dystopian Dream (my signed copy :slightly_smiling_face: )

Richard Wright - Wet Dream (1978 Swedish pressing)

1 Like

I love Nation of Language. I saw them in concert in late 2021 and was blown away. Their two albums get a lot of rotation under my roof. This new song, featuring the band’s new bassist, indicates that great days are still ahead for them.

3 Likes

I don’t know what your music research connections are, but they’re good, man.

2 Likes

Just two more days until I get to see The KVB again here in Atlanta.
I saw them here in 2019 and then saw them on both days of the Cruel World festival in California back in May. Truly one of the most underrated bands today.

2 Likes

This past weekend:

George Michael - Older

Van Morisson - Astral Weeks

Nitin Sawhney - London Undersound
https://youtu.be/COXLthXMNyo

Tlahoun Gèssèssè – Ethiopian Urban Modern Music Vol. 4*
https://youtu.be/N50jfKPLhm0
One of Ethiopia’s greatest; This track, “Yene Felagote” was sampled by K’naan on “15 Minutes Away”

Raghu Dixit - Antaragni

From Karnataka state in India, singing in Kannada language

2 Likes

If early-80s R.E.M. and The Sundays had a baby, then it would sound like the Canadian band, Alvvays. Their new album, Blue Rev, is spectacular, so much so that it reminds me of the first time that I listened to the old R.E.M. stuff or the early 10,000 Maniacs. Perfect jangly guitar pop, with a bit of distortion and cool vocal styles thrown in. I’m looking forward to seeing them in Atlanta in a few weeks.

Incidentally, Alvvays is pronounced “always.” The band decided on the spelling, understandably, to make web searches easier.

6 Likes

As you are well aware, I adore this band. I’d heard of them in recent years but didn’t take the plunge until someone posted “Archie, Marry Me” in a Power Pop group on FB. I couldn’t get enough of that song and was soon seeking out anything I could find by them. That was sometime around this time last year. I have no idea how many times I’ve listened to “Archie” since then but I’ve yet to tire of it. As mentioned elsewhere, I am not in the least bit disappointed by the new album but by the same token, I was not quite as taken with it upon first listen as I was anticipating. I love Alvvays so it pains me to say this but I have found myself being much more taken by the new from the Beths, Expert in A Dying Field. Perhaps with more listens Blue Rev will sink in more. I would love nothing more than to see Alvvays when they play their only NC date on tour this next month but considering it is on the other side of the state from me (Asheville) and would require taking two days off from work to attend, it is not likely that I will be able to see them on this go round. As always (no pun intended), I look forward to reading your Atlanta review. Just try not to rub it in too much. :wink: It’s hard for me to remember the last time I was this taken with an artist. Perhaps Lydia Loveless circa 2014?

3 Likes

The album is from 2021 but Mylee Grace is a relatively new discovery for me thanks to the Post to Wire website (they’re also on the socials) which, like Mylee, is Aussie based. The focus is on alt.country, folk, americana, etc.

2 Likes

After multiple recommendations by a few different posters, I’ve finally got round to diving into Alvvays. Loving what I’m hearing. Archie, Marry Me is an earworm and a half!

3 Likes