Who were we back then?

Buddiefran here. Blast from the past!

The “Buddie” part of my username is a nod to my home town of Paisley in Scotland. Paisley folks are called “Paisley Buddies” In the olden days it meant
“A body from Paisley.”

I was a member way back when. Lovely to reconnect again.
I always said Murmurs was like a cosy pair of slippers.

I live in Vancouver, Canada.

14 Likes

I remember you had Paisley Buddy as your motto, was literally thinking of that a couple of days back! :smiley:

6 Likes

I’m just south of the US-Canadian border in Washington state. I can see Canada from my office.

4 Likes

btw, as someone who had to leave her home country and won’t be back for a while, coming back to Murmurs feels almost like coming back home again

12 Likes

And I can nearly see Canada from my apartment (it’s two miles thataway <— though before WFH I drove along the border, up against the Niagara River with Canada as close as 300 yards away, 2x daily on my commute).

5 Likes

I usta be able to see Canada from my living room, but when I moved I lost my Canadian view.

4 Likes

Paul from Sydney, Australia. Way back when I was living in Queensland and working in the Film industry (my first furtive attempt at video ‘art’ was called ‘Document’ :rofl:). I’m now in Sydney and have changed careers, running a Bulk Food shop in Marrickville, and very occasionally helping edit a soap opera set in a special Bayside community that airs weeknights on the Seven Network.
Hello to all the Australian Fans.

6 Likes

Hello! I was Yensen back then, but Lythea has become more solidly my online name since then, maybe even more my proper name than my given name Jennifer. I joined during my freshman year of college, either late 1999 or early 2000. I was so lonely and isolated and socially incompetent, and you guys helped me figure out what it was to have friends. AthFest was basically a formative experience for me!

I moved from Massachusetts to Seattle 16 years ago, and for the last few years I’ve been trying to establish a new career for myself as a welder and sculptor.

It’s nice to be back!

13 Likes

I…wasn’t around! I knew of R.E.M. most of my life thanks to my dad playing AFTP quite literally every night during dinner for a solid 10 years in a row, but I didn’t really “discover” them until I got Fables on vinyl at a Goodwill for 50 cents about 10-11 years ago. I picked it up for my dad (he had all the CDs but not LPs) and I decided to play test it before giving it to him…I never gave it to him. I was so hooked after those first 3 songs and I’ve never looked back. My R.E.M. fandom has taken me a lot of places over the last decade and I can directly link a solid 90% of my music taste to them, so I’m excited to see what this site leads to!

8 Likes

Another newbie, yay! Welcome to the jungle! :hugs:

2 Likes

I remember you, Jennifer! You were also a reader of Mercedes Lackey, and you recognized my user avatar when I changed it to the shield of Valdemar. Is that too geeky? Lol I’m still re-reading those books as comfort during the pandemic. :blush:

2 Likes

So I am Mike, monktbd then monktbd now. I signed up back when message boards were somewhat new, Google was simply a search engine, YouTube was not available and the holy trinity of social media of Facebook, Twitter and Instagram did not exist.
After murmurs moved to vbulletin for the forums I tried to help Ethan a bit with moderating the technical parts of the forum but once family and life in general took over I kind of faded away just checking back here and there sometimes.
Met quite a few feaks especially for the free concert in Cologne in 2001 or during a meet we had in Vienna.
Moved to Canada 15 years ago, my kids are almost grown up and am really enjoying this trip down memory lane here

23 Likes

Thank you for the welcome! Your message reminds me of one of my favorite Peter moments…

7 Likes

That’s right! I use buddiefran on FB. I had forgotten I was Paisley Buddie on Murmurs. It’s been while. :joy::joy:

5 Likes

Cripes, you were one of the first people I remember meeting here, all the way back on the grey boards! :smiley: So good to see you!

3 Likes

Bizaleth, are you in Blaine?

1 Like

Bellingham. A few miles farther south.

5 Likes

Nice to see you again!

4 Likes

Mike, you were a great help back in the day with PHP stuff. Glad to see you back.

7 Likes

I know it well!:grin::shopping:

2 Likes