Up Reissue predictions?

Cool. Thanxxx.

1 Like

Fortunately, there’s plenty of demos to choose from. I hope they decide to release them this time. The NAiHF reissue was a major disappointment.

I just hope they include some cool “new” stuff, like a soundboard version of that first and only time “Airportman” was actually played live.

4 Likes

Waiting for some demos of Up. They really bring us more than those live shows. I can understand more about the moment they recorded the albums. A new and fresh remix would be great too!

3 Likes

Didn’t Peter say once that the mixing process was rushed for Up, and in a few instances, songs were not finished properly?

Remix could be cool

5 Likes

Yes, and Michael’s said its 2 songs too long.

I think its flawed but beautiful record.

8 Likes

I think that’s on the REMTV box set - I know I have that Storytellers on DVD somewhere.

I think so! I know I have it on DVD.

Yep, they actually farmed out a number of the tracks to additional folks (Nigel Godrich, John Hanlon) for the mixing.

1 Like

I am easy to please. Just give me a vinyl reissue of the album itself that does not sound as though it were pressed in a Rice Krispies factory.

I only have the standalone album editions of the earlier reissues on wax. They all sound superb.

2 Likes

I’d really love to see some new merch other than vinyl versions (Up graphics was too cool for that time) and I’d like to see a proper booklet for all the story and the songs

1 Like

So excited for the Up reissue, first R.E.M. album I ever heard back when I was 8 years old and I instantly loved it. Actually still one of my favourite albums to this day.

I don’t know why but I see so many similarities between Up and Fables. The chaos that was going on behind the scenes when both albums were being recorded really shows in the songs.

4 Likes

I’d definitely agree. I did a re-sequence a while ago which dropped some tracks and created two distinct sides with Airportman being the interlude. It goes into Daysleeper so well.

You’re welcome to take a look.

1 Like

I personally am very partial to Airport as an opener. I think it really sets the tone for their new electronic sound and the laid-back atmosphere of most of the album.

3 Likes

Me too. They were treading on completely new ground with that album, so it’s only fitting that the most un - R.E.M. song ever would be the opener.

I know Peter said in the past that he thinks the album runs 2 songs too long (pretty sure he said him and Mike were at loggerheads when it came down to deciding which tracks) but personally, I can’t think of any songs out of the 14 that I wouldn’t want on that album.

1 Like

I could do without the album version of Parakeet, as well as some of the song endings (a little less of the Hope feedback, the squeak at the end of Walk Unafraid, and less of the Why Not Smile outtro). Still a great album.

1 Like

Didn’t Bill B say at the time (upon release or not long after) that he thought it was the best thing they had ever done?

Ok, he may not feel like that now :laughing:

(FWIW, I absolutely adore Up and place it alongside my most cherished albums, by anyone)

1 Like

Love Airportman. I’d be happy with a release of 10 different versions of it, all of em exceeding 10min in length :laughing:

1 Like

I love Up, but I could do with more concise versions of songs I like less, like “The apologist”, “Sad professor”, “You’re in the air” and “Diminished”, or even without a couple of them. They should also cut the long tails of “Hope” and “Why not smile”, which are great, but just don’t need all that time after they are resolved. Everything else in the album is top notch in my book, tho. “Airportman” is weird, of course, but it fits.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s why I said “genuine” thoughts. :smile: I’m sure he did genuinely love it, but I’m slso sure he had a few ideas himself when he heard it. I doubt he’d ever talk about it though.

1 Like

Lol, yeah, good point.

1 Like