Up Reissue predictions?

The Up reissue will be coming out within the year. Anything you’re looking forward to seeing? Personally there’s some good demos I’d like to hear in high quality (Falls to Climb, etc) as well as the rumored full version of I’m Not Over You.

16 Likes

I’m lucky enough to have a copy of the ‘Up Running Mixes’. Theres probably a few tracks there that warrant a proper release. But perhaps they are too close to the published versions? I still live in hope that they might do a digital only release of some tracks that the REM obsessives would love, but the casual listener would pass over. (Reveal Bata springs to mind)

3 Likes

Shouldn’t we expect it in the last quarter of 2023? :thinking:
Anyway - very much looking forward to hear the lost track “A Cool Dry Place”!

2 Likes

I really like the “Ealing Studios”-version of “Suspicion”. That full mini-session would be a nice thing.

VH1 Storytellers was also from around this time, I believe. Would be nice to have that in good quality too.

2 Likes

Soundboard recording of the Tibetan Freedom Concert where Up songs were debuted

5 Likes

A demo/outtake disc and a live disc with a US '99 show, maybe 11 August 1999 - Irvine Meadows Amphitheatre, Irvine, CA

1 Like

I remember someone sharing on the former fb group a link to a Google Drive that led to some demos and stuff. I really hope there will be a lot of weird stuff that was left over, considering that Up was pretty weird itself (i absolutely love the album, maybe my 2nd or 3rd fave after Hi-Fi).

3 Likes

the “running mixes” has a pretty cool – if underdeveloped – demo with vocals called “i’m in love.” one of the more upbeat songs from that era. as always with these reissues, demos and outtakes are my favorites.

1 Like

I remember talk about a demo called “Bill`s Funky” which must have been based on something Bill Berry wrote before he left (they did a few early things in Hawaii for Up with the other guys if i remember correctly) that they continued working with. Wonder if it will surface.

4 Likes

I doubt this one will appear, but I’ve read on R.E.M. Timeline that an instrumental demo for Daysleeper was tracked during one of the studio sessions for Hi-Fi which I’d love to hear. Technically, it would’ve made more sense for it to appear on the Hi-Fi reissue and since that one didn’t have a demos/outtakes disc, that ship’s probably sailed - but still, I’m hoping it’ll have the opportunity.

2 Likes

I was at the Tibetan Freedom Concert in '99, so I’d love to have a good quality version of that show (including Michael singing “Lucky” with Radiohead). I know it can’t happen, but I’d love to try to recreate the crowd’s sense of confusion when they came out and played “Airportman.” I’m pretty sure that most of us thought that something was going horribly wrong at the mixing desk.

11 Likes

What was the song that Michael was playing a cowbell on in the This Way Up documentary?

I’m always more interested in unreleased tracks than live versions I have to say. Walk Unafraid aside, the rest of Up sounded better on the album.

4 Likes

I certainly hope they have unreleased material, a la the Automatic reissue (demos of released songs plus unreleased songs).

The NAIHF reissue had nothing new, so I did not purchase it. Really wish they had put out a few of the unreleased songs from that era (I know some where soundchecked and I believe a few were demoed in the studio when they finished the album).

1 Like

I’m afraid it will be like the NAIHF reissue in terms of demos: so mostly (if not all) versions that were already released earlier.

So my hope is that the BluRay will contain a good, high quality show. Maybe the Live at Glastonbury '99 show? Even though that one is on YouTube as well of course…

I want Up on vinyl. Or maybe one of those full package$$$ deals. It’s in my top 5 too.

3 Likes

Agreed. We got both the Unpluggeds, but the Storytellers would be nice.

1 Like

Wasn’t storytellers released on the REMTV bonus material?

2 Likes

Was the live guitar demo of "The Lifting"made around the time of Up? I know it’s on Reveal, but they have been notorious for trying out songs of future albums. Anyway, it’s my favorite version of “The Lifting”

1 Like

This isn’t a prediction, more than an absolute pipe dream but I’d love it if the album was given to Bill to do something with. Like Scott Litts remix of Monster.

I know way more would’ve been different had Bill not left after a few rehearsals, but I’d love to hear his touch on Up. I’ve always been so interested in hearing his genuine thoughts on it and what he would’ve changed/added.

I don’t think this of any album from Reveal onwards as I completely see them as work of the band as a new 3 piece, but Up always feels like he’s missing to me. Still, it’s one of my favourites but there are still decisions on it that stop it being God tier.

7 Likes

I think all versions of the Lifting were post-Up. Some stuff was soundchecked, like Take 7, on the Up tour though.

1 Like