Stipe says debut solo album "should come together next year."

Stipe is a musician.

2 Likes

I’m sorry if you’ve been offended in any way by that, Lori, because that isn’t at all my intention and you know it. But I stand by my words and I’ll tell you why.

Having English as a second language has absolutely nothing to do with that stupid cartoonish voice in the song. I have no idea who that woman is, if she’s American, British or whatnot. My voice doesn’t sound like that in any language I speak. If it did, I wouldn’t use it to sing, but to dub cartoons.

And yes, that idiotic song of his sounds like shit to me – much like most of top40 currently sounds like shit to me, because the arrangement is extremely poor and ill-conceived, and he isn’t even making an effort to sing. The song is just that bad, and I used a more polite word – feces – to express how bad it sounds to me. Now I’m using shit, because that’s the real feeling. If you like the song, to each their own and I hope you appreciate it, really. We all here don’t even agree on a top 10 R.E.M. songs anyway, and I can’t stand “You are the everything”, for example.

And I don’t have a disability. I’m in the autistic spectrum, but that only represented a difficulty for me my whole life. If anything, that’s what makes me speak perfect English these days.

I understand what you meant by “not a musician” – he doesn’t play any instruments prolifically and doesn’t know theory or even what to do with an instrument. But a singer is a musician if he can carry a song in tune, can come up with melodies, with arrangement ideas, all that.

Per a previous conversation in one of the FB groups @ethank weighed in to say he played accordion (I believe) as a child. I know he has also played other instruments such as drums, keys, guitar, harmonica, etc. but I have no idea how accomplished he is (or isn’t) on those instruments. His voice is also considered an instrument.

3 Likes

From what I’ve noticed along the years, he only has rudiments of this and that. He doesn’t seem to be accomplished in anything. His harmonica skills were null. He released a keyboard song no one ever talks about anymore these days, as the soundtrack for a movie called “The cold lands”. It’s quite primary.

By all possible means, his voice is an instrument. That doesn’t make someone an instrumentalist strictly speaking, but, like I was saying, if you contribute tuneful vocals, melodies, lyrics, backing vocals, arrangements and ideas, you are indeed a musician in full respect.

Well ok it comes down to semantics. You could certainly argue for the musician moniker. I just meant he isn’t (presumably) coming up with chord sequences and arrangements and writing a song from scratch, he is writing lyrics and melodies for an existing piece another musician has come up with. So his music will be dictated by the material he chooses to work with. I’m not dissing Stipe, I am a lifelong fan of the guy and respect him hugely

2 Likes

I could bet he’s pulling a reverse R.E.M. with those solo songs he’s been slowly releasing along the last few years. It sounds to me like he comes up with lyrics, arrange them into a melody (could happen the other way around at least occasionally), records it a capella and then whoever he’s working with atm comes up with the arrangement. I’m not sure Stipe contributes ideas to the arrangement part, but I could also bet he only adds melodic fluffs and the such, not chords at all.

2 Likes

That’s who that woman is

Gaelynn Lea - Wikipedia

1 Like

Now that you said it, I know you didn’t mean to offend, but your comments, in particular “stupid” really bothered me. I looked for reasons why you may have said that.

1 Like

It’s just a really stupid-sounding voice. Like something from a cartoon that wouldn’t belong in a “serious” song at all. You know how “Barbie girl” sounds stupid? Yeah, same. I don’t mean her accent or nationality or if she has a disability or anything by that: just that that voice sounds unbelievably stupid. Like what some people do to babies.

Ah, I see what everyone means. Sorry, can’t help thinking that voice is not at all appropriate for a song just because she has a disability. It simply doesn’t sound good. If she plays the violin, great, she’s probably very good at it, and her activism is absolutely on point. Just don’t tell me I should like her voice because of anything non-musical. It sounds like a cartoon.

Yes I can agree with you here. I looked up the words “activism”, “advocate” and “stupid” just to make sure.

1 Like

It’s certainly an unusual voice and you have every right to dislike it, but calling it “a cartoon” and “stupid” is somewhat mean spirited I feel. I wouldn’t enjoy listening to it myself, but I think it contrasts nicely with Stipe’s gravelly singing here.

3 Likes

Thank you. I thought it was just me who felt that way. My son is profoundly deaf, his speech isn’t like the average person. If someone said he shouldn’t express himself with speech because he sounds stupid, I would get pretty worked up too. “Stupid” means lack of intelligence or common sense. No one on here said anyone should like Gaelynn’s voice or the song.

4 Likes

Lori and Flor and whoever felt offended by that, please let me elaborate and tell you that, believe me, it was never intended as “mean spirited”. It was an honest impression from what I was listening.

I won’t pedal back and be hypocritical and say “I’m sorry because she’s disabled”. I think the song is extremely shitty just the same after knowing about that – and not because of her, but because of Stipe’s very low efforts in coming up with a song these days. I had no idea who that woman was and still don’t know much about her, except that she’s disabled and a couple of details. There was no intended disparaging of her or disabled people. There are some voices in the universe of pop music that I don’t know, because they’re literally thousands, and some of them resort to gimmicks to try and stand out. At first, I honestly thought it was that, that some girl singer actually tried hard to sound like that (ever listened to “Dance monkey”?). It was not the case, it was a disabled person – but that doesn’t change the final result.

(Lori, if your son is deaf, I’ve seen before what a deaf person’s speech is like and I find it highly commendable that they can even manage to communicate, sometimes very well, using sounds they can’t even hear. I applaud his efforts and more power to him. If he wants to write a book or paint landscapes, it’s all a way to pass his message too and he won’t need to talk for that, if he finds our more usual form of communication too difficult.)

I can explain my use of “stupid” there, because I certainly didn’t imply as much as you guys are taking from that. Of course I didn’t mean she was stupid – I had no idea who the woman was! I used “stupid” in the sense of “too silly”, and that’s why I equated it to a cartoonish voice and “Barbie girl” – both are way too silly. And while “Barbie girl” is supposed to be a humorous, fun song, an intendedly serious song like Stipe’s shouldn’t have a voice like that. It simply doesn’t fit. It sounds out of place and caused a reaction in me, a discomfort while listening. Yes, it sounds cartoonish, and I’m sorry for the girl, but that can’t be helped. I don’t appreciate hearing a cartoonish voice in a song that’s not supposed to have it. It doesn’t work – for me – at all. It sounds ridiculous. My bad if I didn’t make it clear before.

I’m gonna be very honest here and say something most people don’t want to admit to themselves: Stipe only called her for a contribution because of activism reasons, not for musical reasons, not for art, not because of her “wonderful” singing voice. WE ALL KNOW MICHAEL STIPE HERE, so let’s not be hypocritical! I myself consider that reason extremely misguided, but that’s just me. I don’t appreciate it at all. You might find beauty in that. But my philosophy is to live and let live. Listen to it more times if you feel like it.

One thing I’m coming to realize about myself in this forum is that, more and more, I don’t give a shit about the guys’s solo works. Not because of myself, but because their efforts are ridiculously low these days. That’s one of the reasons why I’m glad R.E.M. called it a day – not that it would be exactly like this if they had stayed together. I just said this in another thread: I like “My bible is the latest TV guide” much better than anything any of the four guys have released after 2011. Considering it’s kind of a jokey song – that I do like – I think that says volumes about the low-effort material they’ve been putting out. And probably about me as well. I’d much rather discuss 1980-2011.

Silence would probably be your best option to exercise at this point.

1 Like

Seriously? Why didn’t you exercise silence then and now?

I’m not the one on here slamming people.

@Gargumma @Drivernate peace guys! Just to throw in a curve ball the word " lyric" i.e. words written for the human voice ( agreed by all to also be capable of being a musical instrument) comes from “lyre”. Lyrics were originally written for the lyre musical instrument. And that’s relatively modern times! Now then.

1 Like