So, how’s it going

For months, I have been looking forward to traveling to California next weekend for the Cruel World music festival to see Siouxsie, Love and Rockets, Iggy Pop, Echo and the Bunnymen, The Human League, Gary Numan, Billy Idol, Boy Harsher, Adam Ant, and several others. I had such a blast at last year’s inaugural Cruel World event that this year’s follow-up was a no brainer.

Alas, one of my longtime friends from high school lost his father two nights ago, and I was informed last night that the memorial service is on May 20, the same day as the Cruel World festival.

2023 is really bringing its A game.

It breaks my heart to miss the music festival that I have been excited about for months, but my friend and his family are more important. Besides, I’ve got several other good concerts on the queue for this year.

Thankfully, I am able to get full refunds for the California flight and hotel. I also sold my Cruel World ticket on StubHub last night, albeit at a little less than face value, since a lot of folks are unloading their tickets now.

3 Likes

Oh, and I sent a few bucks your way. Good luck with the vehicle situation!

1 Like

Thank you.

1 Like

I got a vasectomy yesterday morning.

I took an early lunch break from teleworking, took a Lyft to the Atlanta Vasectomy Center 12 miles down the road, got the procedure, and took a Lyft back home.

This is something that I’ve been pondering for the past year, since, deep down inside, I have never really wanted children and since I am 51 now and am certain that I do not want kindergarteners running around my house when I’m 60 or so. I rarely find myself in situations where this makes a difference one way or another, but, if I do, then this will be one less thing to worry about. With the way that birth control politics are going here in the South, I figure that guys like me should shoulder the burden. I am keeping fairly quiet about it offline and around local family/friends, but I am assured in my decision.

This was a scalpel-free procedure, where I got a single puncture that was cauterized after the fact. The procedure only took about 15 minutes and was relatively pain-free, but I stayed off my feet all day yesterday and today, as per post-care orders, and will not be running or lifting anything heavy for at least another week.

I have lost over 30 pounds during the past two months and am pulling myself together after a rough couple of years. Right now, though, my comeback to running is still unspectacular enough that taking a week off will make absolutely zero difference. This is why I timed the vasectomy for yesterday.

The songs that were playing in the doctor’s office during my vasectomy procedure…
Paul Simon - “Graceland”
Steve Miller Band - “Take the Money and Run”
Lynyrd Skynyrd - “Freebird”

I’m suspicious that the song list was by design.

8 Likes

The kid of erstwhile Murmursians ghamina and ross is on the school Lego FIRST team, and their team won a national competition in the UK. The team then got invited to an international competition being held in Massachusetts this weekend at my old college. Follow along at their blog! https://www.penpolschool.co.uk/pumpkinblog/

4 Likes

That’s so cool!

2 Likes

I survived the academic year. Last day of spring quarter finals was Friday. It was a rough one for a lot of reasons and the burnout was real. I’m taking some time—like some extended time—to give myself a mental break and try to find my mojo again (because I lost it this year).

4 Likes

The Australian federal parliment is currently a disgrace. Several allegations have popped up concerning backroom sexual misconduct, abuse, allegations of rape, who knew what and when & weaponizing it all to win an election. The twitterati & media are having a feild day over it. Even more shocking is a recent jump in power bills. :astonished: I live in SA, I don’t know why we pay more than the other states.

1 Like

I’m in Athens now, to see a show from Water From Your Eyes at Ciné.
The railroad trestles from R.E.M. - Murmur are now part of the paved Firefly Trail, since the original trestles were in unsafe condition. I took this photo earlier.

By comparison, here is a photo that I took in 2019…

For context…

9 Likes

School ended last week. Last year of elementary school for older son, he is going to the middle school next year. He’s been there for 7 years (though with some remote time for Covid and all).

I had always thought the “graduation” ceremonies that seem to be common now for years before high school were a bit silly, but they had a thing for the 6th graders and I was basically sobbing through it, so. He was sad too, he came home from school on the last day and ran to his room and shut the door and didn’t come out for awhile.

The two of us went camping over the weekend though which was fun.

4 Likes

I remember my eldests leaving assembly (UK graduation equiv) from middle school, all the kids sang Green Day “Good Riddance Time Of Our Lives” and it broke me. Song still gives me the feels.

2 Likes

My son is in his last week of elementary school. A week ago he said he was fine with it, but today at dinner he said it feels weird.
I remember the first day, now next Monday is the last of elementary. It is a tradition to do a musical for all the parents, and he’s even dancing in it! Can’t wait to see it!
But he also said he can’t learn anything new here anymore, so he wants to move on.

6 Likes

Just got back after a week facilitating a workshop in Nairobi with staff from UNHCR, UNICEF, IOM, Save the Children, Plan International, IRC, Danish Refugee Council and World Vision International from across Eastern and Horn of Africa.

Difficult but inspiring work being done to assist and protect children in mixed movements across the region.

8 Likes

Baked a blueberry buckle this morning.

4 Likes

At work yesterday I accompanied a lady who wanted to walk her greyhound dog. Everything was fine until we were approached by a little white dog running loose. The greyhound got excited & slipped off her collar & leash and took off. The lady owner had health issues, so I went chasing after it down two main roads and around the block. I was dreading losing track of her and, that I may have to report her as missing, because she was way ahead of me, going out of sight. She eventually turned down into the next street and heading towards another main road. I was so fucking relieved when half way down that street, the owner of the little white dog stopped & caught the greyhound. It was such a mentally exhausting experience. This is the second dreaded dog experience I’ve had this year.

1 Like

Kids off to school today. Summer break went by quick. Bus to the middle school comes a few minutes before 7AM, so I saw son off today on the bus but that might be the last time all year that I’m awake for that. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

In a bad mood today. Maybe it’s low air quality from the wildfires, maybe just a general malaise. I just don’t want to do anything. It’s kind of frustrating because I want to want to do stuff. Depression is fun!

2 Likes

Been through a bit this last month, wife lost her Dad so the funeral and all that, and I’ll miss him. He was a true 2nd Dad to me, and a great mate. Suffered with his health in last few years but fought it.

We spend all our adult lives rushing to get somewhere we don’t want to be, and when we finally get our time to ourselves some cruel illness ruins it all.

10 Likes

I feel this, 100%.

5 Likes

Kids off to school today. Summer break went by quick. Bus to the middle school comes a few minutes before 7AM, so I saw son off today on the bus but that might be the last time all year that I’m awake for that.

How long before he missed a bus: one week.