So, how’s it going

It’s been a long week. Today included a work retreat that was exhausting (but productive). I’m exhausted. And it’s sunny. So I’m enjoying the sun and the view.

4 Likes

I woke up this morning, looked at my news feed & was over come with sadness & sense of fear. I know we don’t talk much about world events and politics on this new murmurs site as the old one, maybe because it’s tiring or don’t know what to say or how to respond, I don’t know. Still, I can’t come on here & pretend another mass didn’t shooting happen & just ignore it. It’s all very far from where I live but still I’m heart broken. I know the world will probably never be free of conflict or evil, but there is always the dream of making it a better place. x

6 Likes

After nine years of faithful service, my 2013 MacBook Air was on its way out, no longer updating well and also necessitating the use of an accessibility keypad, since certain keys stopped working during the past year.

I bought a new MacBook Air from Best Buy today.

I was a little freaked out about getting it up and going, but the data transfer from my old MacBook to my new one went by without any mishaps. Here’s hoping for nine years from this one as well.

6 Likes

I’m right there with you, by the way. I’ve been too busy processing the events yesterday to comment on them here or on social media, but I do not believe that we should ever become desensitized to this sort of thing.

4 Likes

This is 250lbs. I did three sets of deadlifts (2x3 and 1x2 because my grip gave out on the last set). I’ve been working towards this goal for 2.5 year: through surgery recovery and the pandemic. I finally got it. I’m so fucking proud of myself.

4 Likes

I felt that there was this silence on Murmurs, I thought, it must have been profound shock, I know these tragedies have not become desensitized in America, I saw the frustration & anger of Americans in the news. It was easier for me to vent about it on here, I live so far away from it all, just was saying, I’m feeling it with you. I saw a mother of a Sandy Hook victim say, if there isn’t a change now, she believes there will be one with the next generation, because this current generation failed them. It might take a few years but I believe her, there is hope.

1 Like

That is an awesome achievement Biz. Well done! :weight_lifting_woman:: :two_hearts:

1 Like

Back on the old Murmurs, I probably would have said something like, “This is a horrible tragedy, but these things happen in a free society.”
I am a bit older now and more cognizant of certain things. For one, America’s pretense of a free society belies our stifling healthcare system and our increasingly predatory capitalist aspects that keep many in shackles, so to speak. I also believe now that the sheer number of guns in this country is a problem. Those who are legally not allowed to purchase guns due to criminal records and such can simply find a gun by breaking into the nearest house or vehicle.
I do not know what to do about it, aside from refusing to own a gun myself, and, therefore, not giving any money to the industry.

4 Likes

Nothing will change. Nothing. Because people won’t do it. We won’t. The government won’t. People ask, “Why does this keep happening?” Why? Because we let it.

We’ve had three mass shootings in two weeks. Three. THREE. But the world keeps moving. And i still have shit I need to get done because the world keeps moving. So you learn to compartmentalize any anger or fear you may have because the world keeps moving. And this keeps happening because despite all the general outrage, nothing will change because no one will do to the hard work. And this will keep happening.

I wish I had the energy to make a difference, to do what needs to be done to end this. But I don’t. Because I still have shit I have to get done because the world keeps moving.

It’s depressing as fuck. I hate it.

4 Likes

It is a politicians job to look after the people of their country. They are well paid by the tax payer & volunteers do it for free.
When I’m feeling depressed, I go Patti Smith’s Gone Pie Best antï-depressant ever. This weekend I’m going for a long walk in the hills. x

How it’s going today.

5 Likes

This morning I went for a trail walk with some buddies through Chapmans Track at Morialta Conservation Park. It was quite steep & challenging in the beginning. When we got to the top we were rewarded with a awesome view of Adelaide.

5 Likes

I’ve lately studied 8 hours or more every day and even enjoyed it. A baffling feeling if anything - stopped doing homework at 10 because of a myriad of reasons from a pool of recession/bullying/loneliness/boneheadedness/shoddy teachers/psychological stuff and other reasons. But stuff it’s good to leave behind.

Might be tricky time wise to get everything assimilated but it’s not the big prize anyway: I’m actually losing my apathy and want to do things now.

(Trying for economics in the best school here)

8 Likes

Not great. New assistant quit after a day OTJ, girlfriend lost her job after 34 years of teaching, kid issues, old heartaches resurfacing! We’ll get through it but it is a drag.

2 Likes

I have today off because school is finally out and, as my principal said yesterday, “We don’t work on Fridays in the summer!” (She also said, on seeing me come back from lunch late yesterday, “What are you doing here?” To which i could only answer, “I work here.”)

This means that I will never have to work another Friday and, of the eight workdays remaining on my contract before my retirement, I’ll only need to actually show up for six! And the core office staff are taking me out for lunch on one of those, so it’s really five and a half! It’s a little weird, because I actually have work to do before I go so that a new person will have a smoother transition in the fall, but if I’ve learned anything over the past 14 years, it’s to take time off when it’s given to you.

6 Likes

I’m very happy for you. I am also very jealous.

1 Like

That’s great, Donna. Enjoy the summer with those extra days off and being treated like a queen by all your colleagues.

1 Like

It’s Friday. I want to go home, but it’s pouring (not our normal PNW mist) and I don’t want to walk home in the rain.

Did you get home? I could have faxed you an umbrella!

1 Like
  1. Pacific Northwesterners don’t use umbrellas. We’re weird that way. 2) It let up enough that it wasn’t bad. 3) The sun cam out shortly after I got home, of course.
1 Like