Science, Tech and geeky stuff

Didn’t know what to title this thread and I didn’t want to limit it to a specific topic.

Wondering if anyone had a chance to view Comet ZTF (The green comet) . Those of you who live away from the city might have a better chance to see it than I do, too many road and street lights here where I live in suburbia. In the southern hemisphere where I live, Mars is north.

“CometZTF will appear close enough to bright objects to find it easily with binoculars. It will be near the location of Mars on the nights of 10-11 February, and then near Aldebaran on the 14th.”
From - astrodon.social@JohnBarentine

2 Likes

I haven’t really tried yet, but unfortunately live in a city with a lot of light pollution. I should at least try though!

1 Like

I looked with 20 x 50mm binoculars on Sunday night when it was supposed to be at it’s brightest, but it was a no show for me here , have the same problem with light pollution too. I once could see the haze of the nebula in Orion with binoculars from my backyard, it’s barely visible when I look now. I’ve seen two comets with a naked eye years back, one was Halley’s at night and the other (can’t remember which one it was) just before sunrise. When I was a kid my Dad told me one morning he saw a “star with a tail” as he called it, he saw it again next morning. He was an early riser, I told him to wake me up, I wanted to see it too but I didn’t get the chance, he said he tried to wake me up but I wanted to sleep. I was so disappointed I never saw the “star with a tail” my Dad got excited about. Since then I look, whenever one makes an appearance.

1 Like

An approaching conjuction of a cresent moon, Jupiter and Venus will be pretty, and easily seen with a naked eye.

Edit - Feb 22. Drove to the local beach earlier this evening, too low on the horizon to see it from my place. Got to see a beautiful sunset as well.

2 Likes

I didn’t know how much Lego building blocks have progressed in recent years until today. I visited my daughter and saw some intriguing artificial flowers on the table, it was a Lego flower bouquet she got from her partner on Valentine’s Day. So cute! . :bouquet: :two_hearts:

2 Likes

I didn’t see the comet. During the peak time it was too cloudy here (Southern coast of NC) to see it. However, a few weekends earlier when I was out taking in a sunset, I inadvertently saw the launch of one of the Space X missions from Cape Canaveral. In all honesty, I had no prior knowledge of it and at first, had no idea what I was seeing. Fortunately, there was a professional photographer there that explained everything to me as it was unfolding. He’s also the one that told me about the comet. This is not my footage (though I shot some) but it was taken in the same vicinity (Emerald Isle) of where I was.

3 Likes