Recent music purchases

I’ve been on a Beatles kick since the Get Back movie came out in November. I wanted to get this when it came out last year but it was too expensive.

John Lennon - Plastic Ono Band (2 LP)

Second LP is alternate versions of every song on the album, some of which I have to Say I prefer to the original versions.

For some reason this photo keeps coming out sideways. Ugh.

2 Likes

4 Likes

Love a bit of Waterboys.

The Sensational Alex Harvey Band. Wanted to buy an album to suss them out. Local music shop was selling 5 albums as a pack for cheap- so I took the plunge- enjoying it so far, especially ‘There’s No Lights on the Christmas Tree Mother, They’re Burning Big Louie Tonight’. An oddity.

2 Likes

Big Thief Dragon New Warm Mountain I Believe In You

3 Likes

I really like the last couple of Lilly Hiatt albums!

2 Likes

I would have purchased her new one (Lately) at the show I saw recently but she only had it for sale on cassette. I have a way to play cassettes but I’d prefer to have it on either CD or vinyl. I’m not sure when it will be out in those formats.

1 Like

Weird thought of the moment: since it’s only going to hell, shouldn’t it be a “lowerator” instead of an “elevator”?

3 Likes

Even the side that just goes down is still called an escalator!

Of course. I was being silly on purpose. :wink:

1 Like

Why on earth are cassettes back on the market? Like, srsly! :exploding_head:

1 Like

Nostalgia?

Well that version of it is bordering on the desperate…

1 Like

Blank cassettes never went away, at least here in the U.S. I’ve seen them in places like drug stores for years. A few years back, I guess based on the success of Record Store Day, someone started International Cassette Store Day. From what I can tell, the titles have been pretty limited and it hasn’t been nearly as successful as Record Store Day. No surprise there.
I know folks said the same thing about the revival of vinyl at first but the resurgence in the popularity of cassettes seems to be a hipster thing. I have tons of them and refuse to part with them but that’s mainly because they’re mostly mixtapes that I spent countless hours compiling. I have purchased some new cassettes over the years but very rarely. They are certainly not my preferred media for listening. There is an area record store that doesn’t sell new CD’s, but you can buy new releases on vinyl and cassette. Some of these folks swear by the fidelity of cassettes. I’m sure it’s improved over the years but there’s nothing anyone is ever going to be able to do to prevent players from eating them. Yes, vinyl can also easily be scratched but so can CD’s. One of the original selling points of CD’s is that they were indestructible which turned out not to be the case at all, at least from my experience.

1 Like

Here’s my two cents…

It’s just a theory, mind you…everything is so immediate within the generation we currently live in, but it wasn’t so in their parents’. Some people like primitism. My granny, didn’t like me shopping at Goodwill. In my time, there was no problem, we liked past styles. However, look at her time…Goodwill was cheap, so the poor could afford clothing. There is a slight resurgence of Drive-in Movies. In a way, kids who grew up with their parents having CD players. Most of the current generation never heard of a tape, except through [sigh] my generation, because we’re now grandparent ages. For instance, Micheal could of filmed with a camcorder, but chose the older version of an 8mm. I buy vinyl, almost everytime I go to the record store. If I can find a good tape for two bucks…I’ll buy it. I can listen to it in my boombox and convert it through a devise that will convert it to an mp3.

Just a thought.

1 Like

Beatles - Slow Down/Matchbox 7”

Incredible String Band - The Big Huge

Yoko Ono - Fly

Neil Young - Young Shakespeare

3 Likes

2 Likes

I had written Hawkwind In The Hall Of The Mountain Grill under the album. And Here’s why haha under the 8 track! Don’t know what I did wrong

I got the black vinyl edition of the Wet Leg album two weeks ago after preordering it on Bandcamp. A few days back, however, I saw a urine-yellow limited edition at a local indie store, and decided that I needed a urine-yellow Wet Leg on general principle.
Does this music actually warrant owning two different vinyl editions? Yes, indeed.

4 Likes

I was in San Francisco last week and checked-out Amoeba Music. That was quite an experience. I’m not into vinyl but could see how people who are could quickly spend lots of money. I picked-up the re-release of Terror Twilight and the new Big Thief (Dragon Warm Mountain…), both on CD naturally.

Oh and only one used copy of Monster :grin:

4 Likes