R.E.M. On This Day

On this day - 23 September
R.E.M. Timeline -

1981 - Tyrone’s O.C., Athens, GA
Soundcheck: Us And You (Instrumental) / Sitting Still / 1,000,000 / The Lion Sleeps Tonight - Stranded In The Jungle
Set 1: Just A Touch / Ages Of You / 1,000,000 / Get On Their Way / There She Goes Again / Action / Wait / Sitting Still / Permanent Vacation / Mystery To Me
Set 2: White Tornado / I Can’t Control Myself / Burning Down / Shaking Through / Laughing / Romance / Pretty Persuasion / That Beat / Stumble / Radio Free Europe / Carnival Of Sorts (Box Cars)
Encore: The Lion Sleeps Tonight - Stranded In The Jungle - Ska / Gardening At Night / Windout / 9-9
Notes: Joined by Lynda Stipe and Cyndy Stipe on backing vocals on ‘Wait’

R.E.M. 9-23-81 Tyrone’s O.C., Athens, GA
https://youtu.be/GmqK7PLFfJQ

1 Like

I love this version. And that sarong is a killer!!!

1 Like

On the day - 26 September
From the R.E.M. Timeline -

2008 - Futurshow Station, Casalecchio di Reno (Bologna), Italy
Support: We Are Scientists
Soundcheck included: Maps And Legends
Set: Living Well Is The Best Revenge / What’s The Frequency, Kenneth? / I Took Your Name / So Fast, So Numb / Drive / Maps And Legends / Walk Unafraid / Man-Sized Wreath / Ignoreland / Hollow Man / Circus Envy / The Great Beyond / Just A Touch / 7 Chinese Bros. / She Just Wants To Be / The One I Love / I’ve Been High / Let Me In / Horse To Water / Bad Day / Orange Crush / Imitation Of Life
Encore: Supernatural Superserious / Losing My Religion / Animal / Sweetness Follows / It’s The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine) / Man On The Moon

“Sweetness Follows”

1 Like

On this day - September 27
1994, R.E.M. released Monster, their 9th studio album. Produced by the band and Scott Litt.
One of my fav tracks, “Let me In” :notes::two_hearts:
https://youtu.be/lIy88eLFsoQ

Does any one else like watching Youtube vids where people talk about records?
MARK’S NOTCAST Ep : R.E.M.'s “Monster” is their best album. 28 September 2021.

4 Likes

On this day - 1st October

2004 - Vote For Change Tour begins in Wachovia Center, Philadelphia, PA
Other acts performing: Bright Eyes, Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band (w/ John Fogerty)
Soundcheck included: Because The Night (Stipe w/ Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band) / Man On The Moon (w/ Bruce Springsteen) / (What’s So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love, And Understanding (Stipe, Buck, Mills, Oberst, Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band)
R.E.M.: The One I Love / Begin The Begin / Leaving New York / Animal / World Leader Pretend / Final Straw / She Just Wants To Be / Bad Day / Around The Sun / Losing My Religion / Walk Unafraid / Man On The Moon (w/ Bruce Springsteen)
Bruce Springsteen: The Star-Spangled Banner / Born In The U.S.A. / Badlands / No Surrender / Lonesome Day / Lost In The Flood / Johnny 99 / Youngstown / Centerfield (w/ Fogerty) / Deja Vu All Over Again (w/ Fogerty) / Fortunate Son (w/ Fogerty) / The Promised Land (w/ Fogerty) / The Rising / Because The Night (w/ Stipe) / Mary’s Place / Born To Run (w/ Buck & Mills)
encore: Proud Mary (w/ Fogerty) / (What’s So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love, And Understanding (w/ R.E.M., Bright Eyes & Fogerty) / People Have The Power (w/ R.E.M, Bright Eyes & Fogerty)

Not sure of the exact date of this film but I think it’s close enough. I love it.
“From the 2004 film NATIONAL ANTHEM: Inside the Vote for Change Concert Tour. Filmed by DA Pennebaker.”

2 Likes

The tour in support of Around the Sun was originally set to kick off in Raleigh, NC until R.E.M. was invited to join the Vote for Change tour. To the best of my knowledge, it was only time in their career when one of their tours didn’t bring them to NC. Due to this, I caught them outside of NC for the second time (the first had been in Austin, TX the previous year). For this one, I saw them at the Ryman in Nashville, TN and then at Gwinnett Arena in Duluth, GA the following night.

1 Like

On This day - 5 October

1992 - R.E.M released their eight studio album, Automatic For The People, in the United Kingdom and Europe, and on the following day in the United States.

40 Watt Club, Athens, GA
7:00-9:30pm: Well fed by Weaver D’s, As well as playback of the new album, included a live auction of rare memorabilia & other goodies by Gwen O’Looney, and raffle & door prizes.
10:00-12:00pm: As well as playback of the new album, & well fed by Weaver D’s, included a raffle, door prizes & T-shirts for sale.
Notes: ‘Automatic For The People’ Pre-Release Listening Party. After the 2 sittings, there was a disco, DJ’ed by Jim McKay. Bill Berry made a short appearance. Proceeds benefited Community Connection Of Northeast Georgia.

R.E.M. - Automatic Unearthed (2017)
https://youtu.be/OaiLpMsz2FE

5 October
2004 R.E.M. released their 13th studio album Around The Sun, in North America.

Inside Track, VH-2 (‘Around The Sun’ feature with interviews & live footage 2004)
https://youtu.be/qdaLGu9zN08

4 Likes

On this day - 10th October
R.E.M. Timeline -

1982 - The Pier, Raleigh, NC
Support: Peter Holsapple
Peter Holsapple set included: Neverland
R.E.M.: Gardening At Night / 9-9 / Pilgrimage / Wolves, Lower / Laughing / There She Goes Again / Romance / Sitting Still / 1,000,000 / Moral Kiosk / Catapult / West Of The Fields / Radio Free Europe
Encore 1: White Tornado / Ages Of You / We Walk / What’s New Pussycat - Carnival Of Sorts (Box Cars)
Encore 2: Ska
Encore 3: Rave On / Gloria
Notes: During the encore before ‘Carnival Of Sorts (Box Cars)’, Stipe asks for requests that they don’t know, so some guy shouts out for ‘Black and White’ which is a song by The dB’s, & Peter Holsapple is already on stage to play guitar on ‘Carnival Of Sorts (Box Cars)’. Some other person shouts for ‘What’s New Pussycat’, to which Bill says “hey that’s a good one, I’d love to”, and he sings a few bars of it, with Holsapple backing on guitar.
Berry, Buck and Mills joined Holsapple for ‘Neverland’ at the end of his set. Mitch Easter joins R.E.M. on guitar on ‘Romance’, ‘Sitting Still’ & ‘1,000,000’.
This show can be found on the CD bootleg “Rave On”, minus ‘Gloria’. The entire show was filmed by a local cable channel (presumably where the audio for the bootleg comes from), and an edited dvd of the show has now appeared online.

2 Likes

This happened right under my nose (I lived just a few hours away from the Pier) but in 1982, I had no idea who R.E.M. was. That would change the following year when I heard “Laughing” on WQDR, our local album rock station. They were always supportive of local and regional artists. R.E.M. was no exception.

1 Like

On this night back in 2003 I was fortunate enough to have front row seats from the fan club to see R.E.M. at Walnut Creek in Raleigh, NC. Bill Berry had already been spotted in the wings but it wasn’t until “Radio Free Europe” that he made his way onstage to sing backup. Then, he jumped behind the drum kit for “Permanent Vacation.” It was at this point that the entire place erupted into thunderous applause mixed in with hooting and hollering. Stipe seemingly jumped a mile high into the air. This, all before the band played a note.
The following day, I got word from then Raleigh News & Observer music writer David Menconi that he was in search of photos from the show to use in an article he was writing for Mojo magazine about the concert. I was only too happy to oblige. My photo is the one up top. For whatever it’s worth, this is the tour where they were taking requests via their website. One of mine was “Disturbance at the Heron House,” which they played. That said, I’m sure I was far from the only person that requested it. Still, what a wonderful night it was all around.

5 Likes

Wow that would have been awesome.

1 Like

I had no idea who R.E.M. was till 1991, when Out Of Time came out.

1 Like

I was quite fortunate to have a station like WQDR in my area. Without them, I would not have heard R.E.M. as early as I did. In an interview I read with Peter Buck not long ago, he said they didn’t really start to receive airplay outside of college radio until Lifes Rich Pageant so, commercial stations like WQDR were the exception rather than the rule.

1 Like

On this day October 16 -

2001 - R.E.M.'s West Clayton Street Studio, Athens, GA
16 October - Find The River / Lotus
Rehearsal Sessions for upcoming shows. ‘Find The River’ is recorded for the 2001 R.E.M. Fan Club Holiday Single.
https://youtu.be/LPvgPaxdk0U

3 Likes

“Find the River” is one of my favourites, and in my opinion, one of the best last lines to end an album, together with “Electrolite”

1 Like

On this day October 19
2018 - At The BBC Studio
R.E.M. at the BBC collection announced featuring live and studio recordings from over 30 years.

2 Likes

This day 21st October
From the R.E.M Timeline -

1998 - Bowery Ballroom, New York, NY
Set: Losing My Religion / New Test Leper / How The West Was Won And Where It Got Us / Lotus / Parakeet / Electrolite / I’m Not Over You / Suspicion / Daysleeper / Country Feedback / At My Most Beautiful / E-Bow The Letter / The Apologist / So. Central Rain (I’m Sorry) / Walk Unafraid / Man On The Moon
Encore: Fall On Me / Walk Unafraid / Lotus / Radio Free Europe
Notes: Television performance for ‘MTV Presents: R.E.M. Uplink’. Patti Smith guests on ‘E-Bow The Letter’. This was broadcast on MTV on 28 October 1998. First performances of ‘Lotus’, ‘Parakeet’, ‘I’m Not Over You’, ‘The Apologist’ and ‘Walk Unafraid’.

“E-Bow The Letter”
https://youtu.be/vLYScLZFI1A

1 Like

On this day 22 October -

2001 - Groundwork 2001, KeyArena At Seattle Center, Seattle, WA
( Charity concert in support of the Food and Agriculture Organization’s effort to reduce world hunger -
RollingStone article)

Other acts performing: The Tom Family Singers, Femi Kuti, Maná, Alanis Morissette, Rahat Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Artis The Spoonman, Pearl Jam
Set: Losing My Religion / All The Way To Reno (You’re Gonna Be A Star) / Daysleeper / The Great Beyond / Thank You - Better Man - So Fast, So Numb / The One I Love / She Just Wants To Be / Let Me In / Find The River / Imitation Of Life / Walk Unafraid / Man On The Moon
Encore: I’ve Been High / It’s The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine) - People Have The Power - It’s The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)
Notes: Eddie Vedder guests on ‘It’s The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)’.

https://youtu.be/5iwK0IFgZyQ

2 Likes

On this day October 27-
1998 - R.E.M. released their 11th studio album Up outside of North America. (Released in the U.S. the next day)
It was the band’s first album without drummer Bill Berry, who retired from the group in October of 1997. In his place, R.E.M. used session drummers like Joey Waronker and Barrett Martin, as well as drum machines.
Georgia Theatre, Athens, GA
‘Up’ Pre-Release Listening Party. Well fed by Weaver D’s, As well as playback of the new album, included a live auction of rare memorabilia & other goodies and raffle & door prizes. R.E.M. were not present. Proceeds benefited Community Connection Of Northeast Georgia.

R.E.M. - 1998 - This Way Up - Documentary
https://youtu.be/BT1wdva2jbU
This is my fav R.E.M. record, because I so connected with it emotionally. The Sad Professor followed by You’re In The Air & Walk Unafraid was kind of like a rebirth IMO, just brilliant.

4 Likes

My favourite too. So many beautiful, emotional songs… Why Not Smile, Sad Professor, Falls to Climb… more than any other album it soundtracked my life.

3 Likes