R.E.M. On This Day

On this day - 23 September
R.E.M. Timeline -

1981 - Tyrone’s O.C., Athens, GA
Soundcheck: Us And You (Instrumental) / Sitting Still / 1,000,000 / The Lion Sleeps Tonight - Stranded In The Jungle
Set 1: Just A Touch / Ages Of You / 1,000,000 / Get On Their Way / There She Goes Again / Action / Wait / Sitting Still / Permanent Vacation / Mystery To Me
Set 2: White Tornado / I Can’t Control Myself / Burning Down / Shaking Through / Laughing / Romance / Pretty Persuasion / That Beat / Stumble / Radio Free Europe / Carnival Of Sorts (Box Cars)
Encore: The Lion Sleeps Tonight - Stranded In The Jungle - Ska / Gardening At Night / Windout / 9-9
Notes: Joined by Lynda Stipe and Cyndy Stipe on backing vocals on ‘Wait’

R.E.M. 9-23-81 Tyrone’s O.C., Athens, GA

1 Like

I love this version. And that sarong is a killer!!!

1 Like

On the day - 26 September
From the R.E.M. Timeline -

2008 - Futurshow Station, Casalecchio di Reno (Bologna), Italy
Support: We Are Scientists
Soundcheck included: Maps And Legends
Set: Living Well Is The Best Revenge / What’s The Frequency, Kenneth? / I Took Your Name / So Fast, So Numb / Drive / Maps And Legends / Walk Unafraid / Man-Sized Wreath / Ignoreland / Hollow Man / Circus Envy / The Great Beyond / Just A Touch / 7 Chinese Bros. / She Just Wants To Be / The One I Love / I’ve Been High / Let Me In / Horse To Water / Bad Day / Orange Crush / Imitation Of Life
Encore: Supernatural Superserious / Losing My Religion / Animal / Sweetness Follows / It’s The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine) / Man On The Moon

“Sweetness Follows”

1 Like

On this day - September 27
1994, R.E.M. released Monster, their 9th studio album. Produced by the band and Scott Litt.
One of my fav tracks, “Let me In” :notes::two_hearts:

Does any one else like watching Youtube vids where people talk about records?
MARK’S NOTCAST Ep : R.E.M.'s “Monster” is their best album. 28 September 2021.

4 Likes

On this day - 1st October

2004 - Vote For Change Tour begins in Wachovia Center, Philadelphia, PA
Other acts performing: Bright Eyes, Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band (w/ John Fogerty)
Soundcheck included: Because The Night (Stipe w/ Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band) / Man On The Moon (w/ Bruce Springsteen) / (What’s So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love, And Understanding (Stipe, Buck, Mills, Oberst, Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band)
R.E.M.: The One I Love / Begin The Begin / Leaving New York / Animal / World Leader Pretend / Final Straw / She Just Wants To Be / Bad Day / Around The Sun / Losing My Religion / Walk Unafraid / Man On The Moon (w/ Bruce Springsteen)
Bruce Springsteen: The Star-Spangled Banner / Born In The U.S.A. / Badlands / No Surrender / Lonesome Day / Lost In The Flood / Johnny 99 / Youngstown / Centerfield (w/ Fogerty) / Deja Vu All Over Again (w/ Fogerty) / Fortunate Son (w/ Fogerty) / The Promised Land (w/ Fogerty) / The Rising / Because The Night (w/ Stipe) / Mary’s Place / Born To Run (w/ Buck & Mills)
encore: Proud Mary (w/ Fogerty) / (What’s So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love, And Understanding (w/ R.E.M., Bright Eyes & Fogerty) / People Have The Power (w/ R.E.M, Bright Eyes & Fogerty)

Not sure of the exact date of this film but I think it’s close enough. I love it.
“From the 2004 film NATIONAL ANTHEM: Inside the Vote for Change Concert Tour. Filmed by DA Pennebaker.”

2 Likes

The tour in support of Around the Sun was originally set to kick off in Raleigh, NC until R.E.M. was invited to join the Vote for Change tour. To the best of my knowledge, it was only time in their career when one of their tours didn’t bring them to NC. Due to this, I caught them outside of NC for the second time (the first had been in Austin, TX the previous year). For this one, I saw them at the Ryman in Nashville, TN and then at Gwinnett Arena in Duluth, GA the following night.

1 Like