R.E.M. On This Day

Yes I did! I will edit. Thank you :+1:

On this day July 10
R.E.M. Timeline -

2003 - Torwar Hall, Warsaw, Poland
Support: Pudelsi
Soundcheck: Lotus (Instrumental) / I’ll Take The Rain (Instrumental) / Stand (Instrumental) / Unknown Instrumental (possibly a cover?) / Stand / Lotus / I’ll Take The Rain (snippet) / I’ll Take The Rain
Set: Finest Worksong / Begin The Begin / Stand / Drive / Animal / Daysleeper / The Great Beyond / Bad Day / The One I Love / I’ll Take The Rain / Lotus / See No Evil (snippet, Stipe solo) / Losing My Religion / Electrolite / Find The River / I Believe / She Just Wants To Be / Walk Unafraid / Man On The Moon
Sncore: Everybody Hurts / Get Up / Imitation Of Life / Permanent Vacation / So. Central Rain (I’m Sorry) / Crazy / Radio Free Europe / It’s The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)
Notes: First performance of ‘Crazy’ since 5 November 1989, and the tour debut of ‘Stand’, ‘I’ll Take The Rain’, ‘Lotus’ and ‘Radio Free Europe’.

https://youtu.be/0XAYQ6gBqQQ

On this day 11 July
R.E.M. Timeline -

1999 - Stadio Renato Dall’Ara, Bologna, Italy
Support: Afterhours, Wilco, Suede
Soundcheck included: Pretty Persuasion / Begin The Begin
Set: Lotus / What’s The Frequency, Kenneth? / So Fast, So Numb / Pilgrimage / Suspicion / The Wake-Up Bomb / Half A World Away / The Apologist / Electrolite / Daysleeper / The Great Beyond / Sweetness Follows / The One I Love / Find The River / At My Most Beautiful / Man On The Moon / Everybody Hurts / Walk Unafraid / Losing My Religion
Encore: Hope (Stipe solo) / Why Not Smile (Mills & Stipe) / Crush With Eyeliner / Tongue / Gardening At Night / It’s The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)
Notes: ‘Hope’ was again played and sung by Michael solo.
Review

“Pilgrimage”
https://youtu.be/Us_ilmxKuI8

On this day 12th July
R.E.M. released “Nightswimming” in 1993. It was the 5th single from their 8th album Automatic For The People (1992)
B - Side “Losing My Religion” (Live)"

‘Night Swimming’
https://youtu.be/ahJ6Kh8klM4

1 Like

On this day 16 July
R.E.M. Timeline -

2005 - Hyde Park, London, England
Support: Johnathan Rice, Idlewild, Feeder
Soundcheck: So Fast, So Numb / Cuyahoga / Walk Unafraid / Electrolite
Set: Bad Day / What’s The Frequency, Kenneth? / The One I Love / Drive / The Outsiders / Sitting Still / Wanderlust / Animal / Leaving New York / Everybody Hurts / Electron Blue / Me In Honey / Electrolite / So Fast, So Numb / E-Bow The Letter / Final Straw / Orange Crush / Walk Unafraid / Losing My Religion
Encore: Imitation Of Life / The Great Beyond / Nightswimming / It’s The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine) / I’m Gonna DJ / Man On The Moon
Notes: Show moved from 9 July 2005 due to terrorist attacks in London on 7 July 2005. Patti Smith guests on vocals on ‘E-Bow The Letter’. Recorded for BBC Radio 2 & parts of the show broadcast on 23 July 2005.

“What’s The Frequency Kenneth?”
https://youtu.be/eU0Q2D0Uei4

On this day 19th July
R.E.M. Timeline -

19 July 2003 - Bowling Green, Wiesbaden, Germany
Support: Blumfeld, The Bambi Molesters
Soundcheck: All The Way To Reno (You’re Gonna Be A Star) / Maps And Legends / I’ve Been High (x2) / Begin The Begin / Walk Unafraid (part)
Set: Begin The Begin / What’s The Frequency, Kenneth? / Maps And Legends / Drive / Animal / Daysleeper / The Great Beyond / Bad Day / The One I Love / All The Way To Reno (You’re Gonna Be A Star) / Orange Crush / Losing My Religion / At My Most Beautiful / Electrolite / She Just Wants To Be / Walk Unafraid / Man On The Moon
Encore: Everybody Hurts / So Fast, So Numb / Chorus And The Ring (snippet) - Country Feedback / Permanent Vacation / Imitation Of Life / It’s The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)
Notes: This show was filmed for the DVD/Video release ‘Perfect Square’.

“Country Feedback”

Also on this day… (from the R.E.M. Timeline)

19 July 1999 - Stirling Castle, Stirling, Scotland
support: Feeder
set: Lotus / What’s The Frequency, Kenneth? / The Wake-Up Bomb / Suspicion / Daysleeper / Electrolite / The Apologist / Half A World Away / Everybody Hurts / Sweetness Follows / The Great Beyond / The One I Love / At My Most Beautiful / Find The River / Losing My Religion / Pop Song 89 / Walk Unafraid / Man On The Moon
encore: Have You Ever Seen The Rain? (Stipe solo) / Hope - Birdland (Stipe solo) / Why Not Smile (Mills & Stipe) / Crush With Eyeliner / Tongue / Fall On Me / It’s The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)
notes: First 2 songs of the encore again were Stipe solo.

The first of three epic nights at Stirling Castle. I went to all three. Absolutely loved it. Up and Hi-Fi are possibly my two favourite albums, so setlist-wise, these were great shows for me. I remember being particularly blown away by How the West Was Won, Low Desert and Sweetness Follows. And I caught the lyric sheet to The One I Love on the last night. Great memories.

https://youtu.be/kSv7DNxo8Nc

Great documentary. I miss R.E.M., I have consolation that it’s all on record. . :two_hearts:

1 Like

On this day July 23
R.E.M. released “All The Way To Reno” the second single from the band’s twelfth studio album, Reveal (2001).
B-side - “165 Hillcrest”, “Yellow River”, “Imitation of Life” (live from Trafalgar Square)

The Official Music Video was directed by Michael Moore and shot at Bishop Ford Central Catholic High School , Brooklyn, New York. It was filmed by students of the host and other local schools.

The song also was one of tracks on In Time - The Best Of R.E.M. 1988 - 2003
https://youtu.be/GyIsOvAjqZI

On this day July 28
R.E.M. released their fourth studio album *Lifes Rich Pageant" in 1986 .
Producer Don Gehman

“Fall On Me” was the first of two singles released from the LP.
https://youtu.be/ffpAgrM1nNI

1 Like

On this day July 30
In 1995, R.E.M. played the 2nd of 2 nights at The National Bowl in Milton Keynes, England.

From the R.E.M. Timeline -

Support: Sleeper, Radiohead, The Cranberries
Set: What’s The Frequency, Kenneth? / Crush With Eyeliner / Drive / Turn You Inside-Out / Try Not To Breathe / I Took Your Name / Undertow / Bang And Blame / I Don’t Sleep, I Dream / Happy Birthday To Louise Wener / Strange Currencies / Revolution / Tongue / Man On The Moon / Country Feedback / Half A World Away / Losing My Religion / Pop Song 89 / Finest Worksong / Get Up / Star 69
Encore: Let Me In / Everybody Hurts / Fall On Me / Departure / It’s The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)
Notes: This show was broadcast live on BBC Radio 1 in the United Kingdom from 7-10pm as ‘R.E.M. Live At The Bowl’, & broadcast to 40 countries around the world & 200 radio stations in the US.

“Strange Currencies”
https://youtu.be/wZvLFoxAlaw

1 Like

I remember this well. Radio 1 did a bit of an R.E.M. day, with interviews and stuff. I taped it all. Still got those tapes somewhere.

It was the first time I’d heard the new songs that would end up on Hi-Fi (or not, in the case of Revolution). I became obsessed with Undertow, an obsession that lasts to this day!

I also remember the band members being asked to pick songs by other artists that they liked. Stipe chose Hole and Sonic Youth. Peter Buck selected Starstruck by the Auteurs, foreshadowing his future/current collab with Luke Haines!

1 Like

On this day 31st July
Happy Birthday to Bill Berry! :drum: :two_hearts:

🎉Join us in wishing a very happy birthday to the incomparable William T. Berry (July 31, 1958)!! 🥁🎂
(photo: Sandra-Lee Phipps) pic.twitter.com/HNiUFOd24r

— R.E.M. HQ (@remhq) July 31, 2022

“The One I Love” (Drum cover) An awesome tribute by twocanchu

The 2nd Milton Keynes gig in 1995 is the one and only time I saw them live. Slept in my car. Remember crying like a baby at Let Me In. Incredible.

2 Likes

I had to listen to that performance of Let Me In . Thanks!

1 Like

It was all backlit like a thousand stars if I remember rightly. Crazy to think it was 27 years ago.

1 Like

On this day 3 August

1995 - Oslo Spektrum, Oslo, Norway
Support: Radiohead
Soundcheck included: The Wake-Up Bomb
Set: I Don’t Sleep, I Dream / What’s The Frequency, Kenneth? / Crush With Eyeliner / Drive / The Wake-Up Bomb / Try Not To Breathe / Bang And Blame / Undertow / I Took Your Name / Strange Currencies / Revolution / Tongue / Man On The Moon / Country Feedback / Half A World Away / Losing My Religion / Pop Song 89 / Finest Worksong / Get Up / Star 69
Encore: Let Me In / Everybody Hurts / Fall On Me / Departure / It’s The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)
Notes: ‘The Wake-Up Bomb’ is played live for the first time.

One this day 4 August

1985 - Nicollet Recording Studios, Minneapolis, MN
Tracks remixed: Ages Of You / Burning Down / Crazy
Notes: ‘Ages Of You’ (recorded in January 1983 during the ‘Murmur’ recording sessions), ‘Burning Down’ (recorded in December 1983 during the ‘Reckoning’ recording sessions) and ‘Crazy’ (recorded in March 1985 during the ‘Fables Of The Reconstruction’ recording sessions) are remixed by Steve Fjelstad & R.E.M…

“Burning Down”
https://youtu.be/XTqH8g0gy5U

On this day 5th August
In 1991, R.E.M. released “Near Wild Heaven”, the third single from their seventh studio album, Out of Time.
B Side - “Pop Song” (Live acoustic version)

“Near Wild Heaven” (This Film Is On Version)
https://youtu.be/oC7er_6dpsI

2 Likes

August 9

1999 - Greek Theatre, Los Angeles, CA
Support: Mercury Rev
Soundcheck included: Lotus
Set: Lotus / What’s The Frequency, Kenneth? / The Wake-Up Bomb / Suspicion / Fall On Me / E-Bow The Letter / Low Desert / Everybody Hurts / Daysleeper / The One I Love / Sweetness Follows / The Great Beyond / Find The River / Losing My Religion / At My Most Beautiful / Finest Worksong / Walk Unafraid / Suspicious Minds / Man On The Moon
Encore: Disarm - Falls To Climb (Stipe solo) / Why Not Smile (Mills & Stipe) / Crush With Eyeliner / Tongue / Cuyahoga / It’s The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine) - Suspicious Minds - It’s The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)
notes: Michael told some funny stories before ‘Fall On Me’ (pointed to a spot in the audience and said he had seen Neil Young from that spot four or so years ago [I think he’s referring to the 1992 “Harvest Moon” tour] and came away impressed with one song in particular, ‘Pocahontas.’ He called Peter that night and asked him if he’d ever heard the song, to which Peter replied, “It’s only one of the classic songs of the last 30 years,” embarrassing Michael) and ‘Falls To Climb’ (talked about learning to play the guitar and seeing Billy Corgan at a benefit, told him he had composed a new song with the chords he had learned. Billy replied “That’s nice, but it sounds familiar,” then came back later and asked Michael if it “sounded like this,” playing ‘Disarm.’ Michael said “You fuck, not only are you taller than me, you went and copied my hairstyle as well!” He then lauded Corgan as one of the best songwriters around, then added that he wouldn’t let it pass, so he added a vocal melody to the song and said “try imagining Corgan singing this one!”) - Dean Hotta
There is a review at Vintagerock

August 10

1985 - Fox Theatre, Detroit, MI
Support: The Three O’Clock, The Replacements
Set: Feeling Gravity’s Pull / Harborcoat / Green Grow The Rushes / Hyena / Maps And Legends / Driver 8 / Good Advices / So. Central Rain (I’m Sorry) / Have You Ever Seen The Rain? / 7 Chinese Bros. / Can’t Get There From Here / Sitting Still / Old Man Kensey / Pretty Persuasion / Little America - Home On The Range / Life And How To Live It
Encore 1: Second Guessing / Gardening At Night / 9-9
Encore 2: Boy (Go) / Theme From Two Steps Onward / Radio Free Europe
Encore 3: Wild Thing - Louie Louie - Wild Thing

Audio stream of this show here - The Internet Archives

August 11,

1995 – Sportovní Hala, Prague, Czech Republic
From the R.E.M.HQ archives (2015). -

1995: “It was twenty years ago today: the third time really was a charm. After postponements occasioned by Bill’s brain surgery in March and Mike’s gut surgery in July, R.E.M. FINALLY got to play their show in Prague…”
“…One of my favorite photographs at REMHQ is the one of Michael leafleting in Prague trying to get the word out - Bertis”
cms_image_12468

The R.E.M. Timeline provides the details:
Support: Echobelly
Soundcheck: Away (w/ Stipe vocals) / Away (w/ Mills vocals) / The Wake-Up Bomb (Take 1) / The Wake-Up Bomb (Take 2) / The Wake-Up Bomb (Take 3) (Aborted) / The Wake-Up Bomb (Take 4) / Binky The Doormat / White Tornado – What’s The Frequency, Kenneth? (w/ Mills intermittent vocals)

Set: What’s The Frequency, Kenneth? / Crush With Eyeliner / Circus Envy / I Took Your Name / Drive / The Wake-Up Bomb / Welcome To The Occupation / Bang And Blame / Undertow / Strange Currencies / Revolution / Tongue / Man On The Moon / Country Feedback / Losing My Religion / Orange Crush / Departure / Get Up / Star 69

Encore: Let Me In / Everybody Hurts / So. Central Rain (I’m Sorry) / Pop Song 89 / It’s The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

On this day August 14

2008 - Race Stage, FM4 Frequency Festival, Salzburgring, Salzburg, Austria
Other acts performing: Blood Red Shoes, The Wombats, Maximo Park, We Are Scientists, The Dresden Dolls, Flogging Molly, Travis
Setlist from - r/rem (reddit)

On this day August 17 -

R.E.M.'s first ever broadcasted television interview. With Mike Mills & Peter Buck by Nina Blackwood.
1983 - ‘Live At Five’, Studio 6B, NBC Studios, RCA Building, New York, NY

https://youtu.be/v5oDRXRcvdc

*I edit as I’ve reached a limit , only 5 posts in a row allowed. .

24th August - “The One Love” was the first single released from R.E.M.'s fifth studio album, Document in 1987. (Cassingle, 7" & 12" Single released in the U.S.)
B side - “Maps and Legends” (Live)
Producer - Scott Litt

https://youtu.be/mFAQtabsy0c
(R.E.M. On This Day thread kind of died. I’m going to start new threads to mark moments in the band’s history)
Ok! :+1: since Jonathon saved this thread, I’ll edit it in here.