R.E.M. Members Working With Producer Mitch Easter For First Time In 30+ Years (Spin)

2 Likes

I haven’t familiarized myself with The Baseball Project, I don’t really follow baseball so my interest wasn’t that much. I did see an interview with Mike Mills where he did a song about getting Dale Murphy into the Hall of Fame, which was real fun to listen to & got my attention.

1 Like

I don’t know that much about baseball or baseball lore but that has never stood in the way of my enjoyment of the Baseball Project.

1 Like

From R.E.M. HQ -“The Baseball Project has released a new track called “Journeyman” from their forthcoming album “Grand Salami Time!” due out June 30 via Omnivore Recordings.”

2 Likes

As mentioned on R.E.M. instagram, new music from The Baseball Project’s new album, Grand Salami Time!, “Disco Demolition”

5 Likes

This song is great!

1 Like

Yeah, I really like it too!

The Mike Mills song (“Stuff”) is worth listening to as well.

1 Like

Gave the album a listen today and enjoyed it. For some reason, Baseball Project have never really taken with me. But I’m gonna give them another go.

Agreed that the Baseball Project never interested me, but this album has caught my ears.

2 Likes

I just found out “Disco Demolition” Night was a real event, a Major League Baseball promotion that happened in July 1979.

2 Likes

I remember it well. In those days, I sported a “Disco Sucks” t-shirt. However, it had nothing to do with racism or homophobia. I was a fan of rock n’ roll. I was also a naive teenager that had no clue of the implications of the shirt or the Disco Demolition. I’m still not a fan of disco but it’s just a preference, just like there are some other genres of music I’m not necessarily a fan of.

2 Likes

I’m on a major McCaughey kick, after seeing Minus 5 and No-Ones last week. Maybe it’s that. Maybe not. But the new Baseball Project album is great. Looking forward to delving into the others.

2 Likes

Blockquote

I know it’s credited solely to Mills, but Buck is all over it. Sounds like an R.E.M. demo!

I have not mastered the quote function…

I love the lyric lines… “It’s better to flash than boring instead” & “four on the floor was the sound of sedition…” I like some disco music of that era, and some annoyed me. Disco Inferno anyone? :mirror_ball: :laughing:

1 Like

I know nothing about baseball but love that the songs are all based on real baseball stories.

Can anyone help me out with the subject matter of 64 and 64? There’s a line that goes, “shot dead by Elliott Gould”. It’s making me look at Jack Geller in a whole new light…

Journeyman would fit in well on an REM record (particularly with the Mills harmonies). More of a story of a person than a baseball song per se.

This is what I’ve come up with, Elliott Gould played a character called Marlowe in the 1973 movie The Long Goodbye - “Kuhn said I was a bad guy, well, I was in the Long Goodbye
Ended up in a Mexican pool, shot dead by Elliot Gould”
I haven’t seen the movie, apparentely in the plot, Marlowe shoots Terry. Terry is character played by Jim Bouton who I believe was a renowned baseball player turned actor. Elliott Gould also likes sports.
I think the song is related to Jim Bouton.

2 Likes

That’s fantastic! And plausible! Great work!