Post Your Music!

These are great! It’s funny that Gardening at Night has a Coldplay vibe to it when played on the piano. I know I dis them, but that’s because their first two albums were great, they kinda fizzled after that…to me. That doesn’t mean others can’t like them though.

The vocals have a Drugstore sound, whereas, the instrumentals are more of a Radiohead-esuque sound. I really like these. Kudos to the band.

P.S. I do wish Drugstore would have continued to become popular, but music charts and what is popular, can be brutal.

thank you!

cool comparison, and thank you for listening!

This is from our bands 2018 album. Its in Estonian, the song name means “Life in Beige” or “A Beige Life” (i think) and its about that short period of time in early springtime between snow going and green grass coming. Im singing, playing bass (Rickenbacker 4003) and a Gretsch acoustic guitar. Our drummer cut the video just to have something as visual background.

4 Likes

Cool stuff, man! Reminds me of Sebadoh!

1 Like

That’s pretty cool. Nice and interesting chord changes, some coming from unexpected lands, and great vocals and instrumentals. Very nice composition indeed. Congratulations!

I had an Estonian “online girlfriend” once (if that’s truly a thing, which I kinda don’t count). She lived in Harumaa and liked good music. She introduced me to Vennaskond’s “Insener Garini Hüperboloid” and I still keep it around and listen to from time to time. I started writing a song about her once, but it changed completely in terms of its muse and theme and everything, thankfully, and is almost finished, but I never got to write it properly in MIDI.

3 Likes

I love Sebadoh! I’ll gladly take that compliment. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great song! I don’t care that I don’t understand the language, the vocals become another instrument.

2 Likes

Thank you!

Whoah! What a cool thread! As mentioned in my previous thread, I sang (some better than others) R.E.M. covers with Clive Butler. Google “owenshire” and “R.E.M.” to see almost 40. Again, some better than others. If I had any shame I’d delete the not great ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8OmuCz-VSU

Influenced by 90s alt rock bands (and of course R.E.M.) I’ve been writing songs since I was 16. They skew towards more aggressive side–Nirvana mixed with R.E.M, but the truth is I have no objectivity.

I was using the R.E.M. covers project to “distract” myself from the VERY hard work of recording my own songs. It’s easier to sing an R.E.M. song than it is to build your own from the ground up (based off an old demo). But in 2019 I finally did just that: I gave up on the R.E.M. covers game (because I was hating myself) and instead began working full time on Owenshire (2.0–that is, taking my bass/vocal demos and making them actual songs). It takes SO LONG to do this, and then I make all the videos too!

I don’t really expect anyone to give two shits about my original songs, but for what it’s worth–this is the ‘real’ me: a guy with something like 70+ alt rock songs, who is re-recording them properly. Here are two if you care, the former being an R.E.M meets TOOL kind of thing, and the latter being harder to classify–The White Stripes maybe?

4 Likes

Just started a new REM cover band in Manchester UK. The others are mainly just friends filling in as a favour so if any real REM fans of here wanna join get in touch!

https://youtu.be/fx_G9s0Hg_g

3 Likes

Wait, so Clive Butler was the instrument parts of Owenshire’s R.E.M. covers?? I’ve known the guy for a few years now (on FB) and never knew that! I still have some of your stuff stored in my external drive, especially those weirder tracks (like “Ha! We get paid for it”). I like those a lot.

I’ve just listened to your two original songs and I quite like them and the production.

2 Likes

Thanks so much. I do all the production and instruments myself for my originals. I’ve learned a lot over the years. I used the owenshire “brand” (if you will) to encompass the R.E.M. covers project, but, yes, Clive Butler–who is an amazing guitarist/songwriter in his own right–was always the multi-instrumentalist for the covers. I’m just the singer. Clive is currently posting more of his original songs too, AND re-doing some of his R.E.M. covers, adding more layers. He even sings on a few now–I had to encourage him to do that.

2 Likes

Yeah, I did the same when he started posting his own work. I even sang on a couple of instrumentals and sent back to him, but I had to record it on my phone. Both of you are pretty gifted. Congratulations!

1 Like

https://youtu.be/Q0zt9Cxi9Y4

Wondering what Ignoreland would sound like, if it was on Monster.

2 Likes

https://youtu.be/qAZyC0vil9g

I’m planning on reworking this on guitar and keyboard and also Novation launch pad. This is just getting the feel of it.

3 Likes

I can’t believe it’s taken me this long to join this site. Truth be told I didn’t know murmurs was back up and running. A brief introduction, I am Clive and at the start of lockdown I set up a YouTube channel and started posting R.E.M. instrumental covers, then I started writing my own backing tracks, then I plucked up the courage to start doing my own vocals then I had a go at singing Hairshirt and discovered I actually do a half decent Michael Stipe vocal. So here we are nearly a year later and I’m on my 15th R.E.M. cover and also (coincidentally) my 15th original song with vocals.

Here’s a link to my latest cover, King Of Birds A cover of King Of Birds, by R.E.M. - YouTube

And here’s a link to my own latest song, Eyes Wide Open Eyes Wide Open, by Clive Butler - YouTube

Feel free to subscribe. I am a huge R.E.M. fan, always have been and, though it sounds sad, by doing these covers and sharing them with other fans I feel like I’m doing my part to keep the spirit if R.E.M. alive.

Thank you in advance.

6 Likes

Not to mention hard-working musician Clive above was half of the duo Owenshire and I never knew that when we started talking on FB years ago. Welcome here, Clive! Your covers and originals are brilliant and I’ve always said that so you know that. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Thanks so much for your support, as always :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes