Post a song you love right now

That is beautiful. I have a friend in hospital right now and this fits perfectly. It has a Simon & Garfunkel vibe going on to me. Beautifully gentle :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

The verses do pinch a bit from The Boxer right enough!

Your post has reminded me of a song I was obsessed with about 3 or 4 years ago and I’d forgotten how much I loved it:

2 Likes

I have a couple of Johnny Flynn albums. Love this song:

https://youtu.be/o5wYXnkLbD0

But mostly I love this song, the theme tune to the brilliant Detectorists:

1 Like

I like the Detectorists theme but haven’t heard the line of best fit. I’ve now gone back to my current obsession song which I think I’m playing almost daily at the moment. It’s so uplifting:

3 Likes

Oops sorry- brain still working too fast!

1 Like

And how about this- just brilliant. Two incredible women with incredible voices in one amazing video of one amazing song. I hope it goes straight to No.1 !:-

https://youtu.be/_roE1N7Urio?t=3

3 Likes

As usual, I woke up with a song in my head about four times just this week. I’m not into the “singer-songwriter with an acoustic guitar” thing much myself, as you guys were discussing above (sorry), but this band here is seriously in R.E.M. territory:

I’ll spare you guys of two others that keep repeating in my Internal Monologue FM: “Dig up her bones”, by the Misfits, and “Tell me, tell me”, by Moskwa TV. The three are nothing alike.

3 Likes

As a New England college student in the late 90s-early 00s, I think liking Guster was an additional degree requirement.

I saw them once in… 2009ish? They were touring on an anniversary of Lost and Gone Forever. Which was 1999, so yeah, probably 2009 then. Anyway they had one set of assorted songs (including Satellite) and then the second set was the whole LAGF album. Solid show.

(Also Guster reminds me of someone from Old Murmurs who I still miss and who never showed up here.)

1 Like

The Cars, “Since I Held You”

They had amazing hit singles and all (“Just What I Needed” is one of the greatest songs ever), but a lot of the “album tracks” are solid gold too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN46Utgoaj4

2 Likes

@Gargumma Just for you…

2 Likes

This also from the same session:

2 Likes

Thank you so much, Kate! I’ve listened to the studio version a few times now and I already love it. I saw another live version of it that I didn’t like much, but it was on a huge stage. Not sure it works. Now, this? This version is so damn inspired and beautiful, I got literal chills! And with an orchestral arrangement to boot. Great to see Dave and Martin working hard!

An American friend listened to the whole new album and told me it’s like 80s DM all over again. They had been playing with a more industrial-like, S&M, darker, tortured, whatever, aspect of the band in later years, and I didn’t dislike that, but I’m eager to listen to this new material if it sounds like “Ghosts again”. I believe @inspectorjason is going to love this one as well. Right up his alley.

I also love this version of “Walking in my shoes”. The more intimate approach suits those two songs much better.

I’d make a good vocalist for a DM tribute band. I can sing and my tone is very similar to Dave’s without trying much (or Jim Morrison if I do that, or occasionally Bowie). People where I live wouldn’t be interested tho. It’s all about terrible “music” in Brazil.

1 Like

My favorite off of Automatic for the People.

3 Likes

I have likely mentioned this elsewhere but I’ve fallen down the Phoebe Bridgers, Julien Baker, boygenius, Better Oblivion Community Center, etc. rabbit hole as of late. Around a month ago, a bout of sadness and discussion of Phoebe led to me listening to her debut album the next day which proved to be quite therapeutic. From there, I just went deeper in. When I got to Julien’s second album (Turn Out the Lights) it dawned me that I’d purchased it when it was new back in 2017. For whatever reason, it didn’t take back then but now, I can’t stop listening to either it or her debut album (Sprained Ankle). It has taken me some time but I’ve also warmed up to her third and latest album, Little Oblivions. While I loved the lyrics, the full band arrangements and more pop sound of some of the songs was off putting at first. Not now.
At this stage, I would be hard pressed to name a favorite Julien song but I know this is a clip I’ve watched countless times recently. For those that may be unfamiliar with her, Julien comes from a hardcore punk background and has struggled with substance and alcohol abuse, depression, and thoughts of suicide. She is also a Christian who sometimes finds herself at odds with her faith. This is one of several of her songs I find it difficult to get through without shedding a tear or at least getting choked up. She sings from her soul, which is more than evident in this particular performance. Listening to her music has proved to be incredibly cathartic to me and has helped me to pull through an especially tough bout of depression. I have a ticket to see her with boygenius in June and can’t wait.

4 Likes

I know this is from a long time ago but is that Dee Cee Lee on vox? Stunning.

Do you know what @DriverNate you’re taking me with you on this- I mean, not to the concert but down the rabbit hole. I think she (and boygenius) is (are) just great.

1 Like

It’s Tracey Thorn on vocals. Dee Cee Lee did backing & co-vocals on two other tracks from that album.