Post a photo from where you live

you know there was a famous civil war battle on that mountain…

Yep, I know all about the Civil War battles on Kennesaw Mountain. Ambrose Bierce even wrote a short story that takes place at the battle.
The Visitor’s Center at Kennesaw Mountain, which is walking distance from where I live, has a slide show history presentation. Monuments, informational signs, and cannons can be found throughout the park as well.

1 Like

Nice. I just moved to this area in 2019 for work. (Duluth) Kennesaw has a nice university there too.

1 Like

We’ve just got a couple of cockatiels. Noisy, so far…

3 Likes

Being noisy is the quintessential cockatiel skill, so there you go! I always like the idea of birds, but I know better than to think we’d be a good bird household. Thank you for posting photos!

2 Likes

I wanted to post this months ago, but when you live in a remote place you have to deal with flaky internet connections. This is from my summer home, Yellowstone National Park, in mid August.

7 Likes

It was always my wife’s idea, as she loves animals of all sorts, but we had talked and agreed we wouldn’t have them exactly because of the noise. Then things happened (it’s quite complicated, involves an acquaintance, a flood, rescues, dogs, no place, etc) and we ended up with those two – who didn’t even know each other before coming to live here – totally by chance.

I don’t think we’re keeping them. I’m autistic and the noise is really grating. I can’t sleep well or do my job. She’s probably taking them to her mother’s as soon as her folks get home from a trip.

(AND: I posted this in the wrong thread, as it’s not “where I live”. It should be on “Photograph on the dashboard”. No worries.)

2 Likes

Birds are challenging pets, for sure! One of Kathleen’s friends has a rescued parrot who pulls all the feathers out of her chest when she gets stressed. They have to put her in a little onesie so she doesn’t end up hurting herself. And she hates everyone outside the family except Kathleen, so Kathleen is the only one who can take care of her when they go on vacation.

2 Likes

Poor parrot… I’ve seen cases like that with birds and other animals. My wife had a dog who had depression and became literally unrecognizable in the end. Lost all of her fur, became blind, got cancer, couldn’t jump to the couch anymore. She had to be put down.

She’s got a new dog at her mom’s (rescued from literal trash on the same street I posted way above) because I didn’t want her here – same problem, not to mention the smell. But now that we’ve tried babysitting her for a few days, and Costelinha is extremely chill (I can only translate her name as “Baby Back Ribs”, but in one word, lol), we’re probably keeping her. idk yet. There are always issues with her being alone and she hates being in the car, so…

2 Likes

View from my back bedroom yesterday. I live in one of the tiny cottages built by RD Blackmore who wrote Lorna Doone (set in the English Civil War) for his workers as he had a market garden and orchard round here in Victorian times. His large Victorian pile (Gomer House named after his dog Gomer) is now demolished but the name and his workers cottages lives on.

3 Likes

I took these at a lake near my neighborhood this morning…

6 Likes

That’s pretty cool. There are wetlands across the road where I live with water birds. Never seen a turtle there though. This time of year flocks of corellas visit. My god, the racket they make when they fly past.

Edit: Corella cacophoney.

2 Likes

Here’s my new little shed at sunrise. Looks like my house had a baby!!!

6 Likes

In my sunset walks along the beach near where I live someone I’ve met a few times there told me to check out this place called Boathouse Creek in Cedar Point. I knew of its existence but had yet to check it out. It also includes some walking trails which I’ve yet to explore. This is from a few evenings ago.

5 Likes

Wow look at those colours ! :star_struck:

1 Like

“See, we still have snow”.

4 Likes

Here too…

5 Likes

Here’s one from Albuquerque (for pity’s sake) yesterday morning!

It’s almost April!

5 Likes

From yesterday in downtown Swansboro, NC.

6 Likes

Enterprise Center

Where the St. Louis Blues play!

5 Likes