Post a live video

“Cry Me A River” I really love Julie London’s version. I like to rewatch this awesome Mad Dogs & Englishmen live video to experience Joe Cocker’s catharsis, and Leon Russell’s gospel influence again. :notes: :two_hearts:

4 Likes

On the river and Joe Cocker tip, here he is performing a song written by Don Dixon. Yes, that Don Dixon.

3 Likes

boygenius from last night on Jimmy Kimmel Live

3 Likes

Love the harmonies. Great band. :+1:

3 Likes

I love them and can’t wait to see them in June.

3 Likes

The river references have lead me to this “Somewhere Only We Know” by Keane at Live 8 London 2008

2 Likes

Bootleg Blondie last Friday night were brilliant. I didn’t take my phone but my friend took some pics. We had a brilliant night punching the air and joining in. They even did Get It On T Rex and Rock On David Essex and played Remember You’re a Womble and Enola Gay. Great Stuff!

2 Likes

“Carry Me Home” by the Alternate Routes, played as a duo, in 2014 at a special show held at a distillery in Virginia. I was in the audience for this one.

1 Like

So today I have to go into battle…with an opticians. It will be the third time I have had to go and complain that THESE GLASSES ARE NOT RIGHT. This time I am determined to get it sorted (my money back). I am hoping not to go in all guns blazing but to muster my best Stipean demeanour and play it as cool as I can while I have this song in my head. Thanks for allowing me to let off steam:

2 Likes
3 Likes

I remember when I first saw this live video, what a great moment, it still is :two_hearts:

Hey @cliffonthemoon its that English/American collaboration thing going on again. Great things can happen.

I am also reminded of this from 2010 . The single has Eric Turner on guitar. Amazing.

At around this time in May 2001, R.E.M. played South Africa Freedom Day, On The Square in London and released the single “Imitation Of Life” from their twelfth studio album Reveal. I remember this concert and the post cards the Fanclub sent, I think it was prior to the release of the album. I miss those days.

4 Likes

That’s amazing. Wish I’d been there. I hope old Nelson enjoyed it up on his column there! Was that Nick Rhodes on keyboards?

Ken Stringfellow if I remember right.

Canadian born singer songwriter Gordon Lightfoot passed away this week. He was 84. I mostly heard his music on the radio. This is one of the songs I remember hearing and still love.
“Sundown” Gordon Lightfoot & friends. - Live at Tawse Winery in Vineland, Ontario Canada (2017)

Lydia Loveless is currently opening for Drive-By Truckers. Every night she sits in a song. On this night (May 5th) she sat in on “My Sweet Annette” and “Feb. 14.” If you’re fortunate enough to live anywhere near the path of this tour I would strongly suggest attending if at all possible. I just caught back-to-back shows with them a couple weeks ago at Haw River Ballroom in Saxapahaw, NC.

2 Likes

Throwback. Alicia, My eldest daughter, 11 at the time this came out adored this song, as did my 8 yo. But Alicia made a case for the song having “profound” lyrics, which I teased her for just the other day. Then I saw them, all grown up doing it and she was right. It’s a dark song, if. you can separate it from the original video where they were just pretty boys clowning around. It’s an ear worm. They’re still pretty, too.

1 Like

I have loved this band and song forever. It was my first post lockdown gig in June, last year. Neil Finn’s sons Liam (guitar) and Elroy (drums) are visible next to dad on the left. I was in a state of pure rapture when they did Distant Sun. We were encouraged to sing along, and I belted it it with every molecule in my heart dancing. London Roundouse June, 2022.

“I don’t pretend to know what you want, but I offer love” swoon

1 Like