New Band with Bill Berry: The Bad Ends

A video from Nuci’s Space has appeared on youtube. (Athens GA Live music) :musical_score: :musical_note: :+1:

6 Likes

Mirrored from R.E.M. HQ -
“Today, Brooklyn Vegan has premiered “The Ballad Of Satan’s Bride,” the third single release from new Athens, GA band The Bad Ends, featuring Mike Mantione of Five Eight and our very own Bill Berry.”

2 Likes

Mirrored from R.E.M. HQ, The Bad Ends releases their fourth single “Mile Marker 29” from their debut album, The Power And The Glory, available from New West Records

3 Likes

The first single caught my ear (the weird guitar licks), but the others haven’t broken through for me.

A review of The Bad Ends debut from American Songwriter, as mirrored from R.E.M. HQ,

4 Likes

Bill Berry and Mike Mantione talk about their band The Bad Ends beginnings. Article from Uncut as posted on R.E.M.HQ

3 Likes

Great album! Bill wrote, and plays on most of the instruments, on an instrumental titled “Ode to Jose”, which is beautiful but kind of resembles “Leave”!

1 Like

This week’s cover story from Flagpole.

2 Likes

I finally gave the album a listen on Spotify. Not bad, but I think the lyrics/vocals were the weak link at times.

Ode to Jose is interesting, since it’s apparently a Bill Berry composition. Could easily be an Automatic for the People-era outtake. I don’t know how much the rest of the Bad Ends band added to it, but the arrangement reminds me of what post-Berry REM was sometimes missing.

1 Like

Live at the 40 Watt Club - Athens GA - 2023-01-28. :two_hearts:
“Mile Marker 29”

5 Likes

Isn’t this just the most hilarious thing…??? Doncha just love it??

The Bad Ends - “Thanksgiving 1915” [Official Music Video] - YouTube

2 Likes

As mentioned on R.E.M. HQ The Bad Ends NPR Tiny Desk Concert. 24th March '23
"Four-song performance includes special guest Jay Gonzalez (Drive-By Truckers, guitar & mandolin), John Neff (Drive-By Truckers & Bloodkin, pedal steel guitar), Eddie Glikin (percussion), Anne Domizi (vocals), Owen Lange (A.D. Blanco, Mellotron & percussion), and Bennett Evans (A.D. Blanco, electric sitar guitar)

2 Likes

Bill plays acoustic guitar on the last song.

Maybe it’s the lighting, but he doesn’t look well in this video.

3 Likes

I was focused on the playing, I think Bill and his band mates played well and I enjoyed the songs. Didn’t take much notice of how he looked.

He hasn’t looked well from time to time, but you can never say that on that Facebook group. They will accuse you of “body shaming” the guy, even though he really looks kinda sick. I know. It’s unbelievable and yet true.

1 Like

From R.E.M. HQ,
The Bad Ends’ video for “Mile Marker 29” on LateShowMeMusic, 25th March '23

3 Likes

Well, I kind of get that. I don’t think he looks ill, I think he looks his age. Remember, he spent a quarter of a century as a farmer. Kept himself lean and outside in the elements a lot. You’d expect to be a bit more weathered and the guy’s in his mid 60s. It might sound like a romantic thing to do, but forming a band would be the last thing anyone would do if they were ill. It’s knackering.

3 Likes

That’s very true. When I said “from time to time”, it’s just because there are some unflattering photos of him from time to time that --let’s be honest here – show him in a sickly light. In them, he looks much worse than his age, but they are not “definitive” photos at all. The fact that he’s a farmer and even that they spent most of the 80s in vans sleeping and eating badly has had a cost for the guys. And yes, you wouldn’t expect Bill to be in a band again now, but it’s quite a low-profile band anyway. I believe he’s just having fun and not “back in the music business”. And I love that he’s doing this now, even if I think the new band is just ok.

Huh? Do you know any farmers?

Yes, I do.