Favorite podcasts

Shittown
Hidden Brain
Dan Snows History Hit is going to Antarctica rn
Death Sex and Money
Make Me Smart

West Wing Weekly

3 Likes

It was only a matter of time before we talked about R U Talkin’ REM re: Me?

Also:

The Andy Daly Podcast Pilot Project/Bonanas for Bonanza
The History of Rome
Judge John Hodgman

And if you like lefty PA feminist politics, I can recommend my wife’s podcast which she tells me is doing quite well: Sisters of the Night Caucus

5 Likes

I don’t really listen to a lot of them but I do enjoy The Moth. I have also listened to a few episodes of Tyler Mahan Coe’s Cocaine and Rhinestones but find his voice grating at times.

2 Likes

I love The Moth. I also subscribe to Padres Hot Tub
I general I listen to random ones from the Guardian, BBC, New York Times and true crime stuff. Always looking for suggestions so I will probably be spending time in this thread.

2 Likes

The Yard goated fr

1 Like

I’ve been listening to FilmJunk for 16 or more years now. It’s a weekly podcast about film from three Canadian friends. They are up to episode 833.

I listen to a TON of podcasts. Lots of murder podcasts because I’m a stereotype. I do listen to other genres though.

Current non-murdery favorites in no particular order:

The Adventure Zone
Old Gods of Appalachia
Unwell
This Podcast Will Kill You
Ephemeral
The Atlas Obscura Podcast
Dan Carlin’s Hardcore History

1 Like

With kids and no commute, it’s hard to get them in. I’ve got three in my regular rotation:
Indiecast with Steven Hyden and Ian Cohen
60 Songs That Explain the 90s with Rob Harvila
Decades From Home - a niche podcast of two English men discussing life in Germany

1 Like

I have at least one friend that has taken part in a Moth event but I’m not sure if it was recorded for the program.

1 Like

Fall of Civilizations. It’s better than any current history show on TV. Exceptional, particularly the one about Sumer.

1 Like

Conan O’Brien needs a friend. One of the best things Conan put out in years.

5x15 podcast with Monty Don and Michael Pollan:

Michael Stipe on Debbie Millman’s Design Matters:

I recently discovered this 2007 podcast with Peter Buck, Robyn Hitchcock and Scott McCaughey:

I’ve gotten into Paul Stammets, the fungi expert:

I don’t delve into podcasts often, but I like…

The Hysteria Continues
(a podcast primarily dedicated to 1980s slasher movies)

I also enjoy a few ultrarunning ones from time to time.

As I put this list together, I am realizing I listen to a lot of podcasts. In no particular order…

Too Long Didn’t Watch
The House of Pod (medical-ish podcast; really helped me understand issues related to the pandemic.)
Back Issue
Pop Culture Happy Hour
Lost at the Smithsonian (this hasn’t been updated in awhile)
Hit Parade
Brought to you By (this has ceased, but I really enjoyed it)
Slow Burn (I haven’t listened to the most recent season)
Wait Wait Don’t Tell Me

Other things I listen to a little more haphazardly:
It’s Been a Minute with Sam Sanders
Bullseye with Jesse Thorn
Code Switch

2 Likes

Loved that REM podcast. Need more.

Did you listen to their U2 and Talking Heads variants?

Yes on U2. I need to listen to the TH.

I haven’t listened to the others. Tried the Talking Heads version but never got into it.

U2 is the best one. The jokes are much more spontaneous and they go deeper with their bits.REM was good but mostly because of Adam Scott’s deep love for the band that kept things grounded. Talking Heads was ok, but very paint by numbers. I do like that they completely abandoned Red Hot Chili Peppers one episode in.

Edit: Also the one off Staind Glass they did with Todd Glass where they made him guess which songs are by U2 and Todd talked about hiring an extra live drummer to play along with music at his parties.

3 Likes