Currently Listening

New single from Rural Alberta Advantage. Hopefully a full album this year - supposedly they finished one last year.

Jason, thanks again for introducing me to Actors. Earlier today, I listened to 8 tracks from them I downloaded the day you posted all this. I like ā€œWe donā€™t have to danceā€ a lot, but love ā€œLove U moreā€ more (get it?). Theyā€™re my most recent very well received discovery, and those have been difficult to come by even if I try to listen to new things once in a while.

2 Likes

Actors have a Facebook fan page, The Academy, that is quite fun. They interact with fans quite a lot.
I met them at their Atlanta show in 2019, and found them to be truly good people.

1 Like

My favourite album of last year. Vastly underrated band. Never rested on their laurels. Evolved their sound. Didnā€™t always nail it, but they nailed it here.

2 Likes

I bought the new Tears for Fears album, The Tipping Point, today in preparation for seeing them again this summer. I had middling expectations for this record, as I usually do for acts who had their heyday decades ago, but I am pleasantly surprised by this one. It might be my favorite of theirs since Songs from the Big Chair (1985).

3 Likes

I love that cover for reasons I donā€™t fully understand. Iā€™m punk-ish deep inside, so maybe.

Iā€™ll try to listen to that album based on your recommendation and my admiration for their first album and a few later songs.

1 Like

King Creosote - 3 On This Island

Not the most valuable record I own, according to Discogs, but Iā€™ve never seen this available online anywhere, so it might be the rarest/hardest to get!

I bought it in a tiny wee gift shop on the Scottish island of Iona a few years back. It was recorded on the Isle of Mull, where I lived at the time.

I once heard him do a version of Eleventh Untitled Song with Kid Canaveral. Canā€™t find that online anywhere eitherā€¦

1 Like

Itā€™s probably the least punk-ish album theyā€™ve made. Some of the songs are quite long, and it has a distinctly 80s synth-pop vibe. Which sounds horrible, but I love it!

The Kenny Roby and Neal Casal is one I first heard of in 1999 that was only available as an import on the German Glittenhouse label. Unfortunately I didnā€™t act quick enough and it went out of print. Two years ago a friend was kind enough to burn a copy for me but I didnā€™t get around to listening to it until just recently. Kenny was set to work with Neal again on what turned out to be his The Reservoir album but before sessions got underway Neal committed suicide. Black River Sides has been made available again but only as a download.

Big Thief Dragon New Warm Mountain I Believe In You

1 Like

Iā€™ve been re-listening to Itā€™s Karma Itā€™s Coolā€™s first album, ā€œWoke up in Hollywoodā€. The singer in this band, Jim, is a member of the R.E.M. Fans United group on Facebook and a nice guy. I fully recommend the band to any power pop fans with no reservations. Great melodies and hooks.

Iā€™ll be listening to their latest album soon:

(Jim is the first, to the left, with a beard and sunglasses)

Featuring Windout. Picked this up a while back for not very much money. First time listening to it. Iā€™m glad it wasnā€™t expensive. Itā€™s not great. But I didnā€™t expect it to be. Just bought it as an R.E.M. curioā€¦

4 Likes

undefined
Big Thief Dragon New Warm Mountain I Believe in You

1 Like

Johnny Cash~American V: A Hundred Highways

1 Like

Of all the semi-recent one-hit wonders (Interpol, Strokes, Modest Mouse, etc) I would not have imagined Band of Horses had another good record in them, but the new one is great.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll have to check that out. I really like Infinite Arms. I also have the first album but I never really got into it. The Funeral is an amazing song though.

1 Like
  • R.E.M. : Reveal
  • R.E.M. : New Adventures in Hi-Fi
  • Metallica: S&M2

This is the last thing Frightened Rabbit released before Scott Hutchison took his own life. Itā€™s a poignant reminder of how much he had left to give.

I wasnā€™t actually a fan before he died. Iā€™d heard of them but never listened to them. After he went missing curiosity led me to check out a few things and I was hooked.

His death touched a chord with me. Maybe because he was a similar age to me. Maybe because he was Scottish. Maybe because, like many of us, Iā€™ve had my own mental health issues. Donā€™t know.

The saddest thing is obviously the effect on his family and friends. But as a music fan, heā€™s a very sad loss. I feel like his best work was still in front of him.

This is Roadless, from the EP Iā€™m listening to:

https://youtu.be/wXYT3KN0mHQ

3 Likes