Young Girl Discovers Cassette Tape

Filmed just a few days ago in High Point, NC. For whatever it’s worth, I’m not one of those folks that give young people a hard time for not knowing what cassette tapes are. I say that only because I’ve seen exactly that sort of behavior from older people online on more than one occasion. Even though cassettes have been making something of a comeback in recent years, I wouldn’t expect someone of this girl’s age to be aware of that or to even know what they are.

4 Likes

She said they were "an ancient history story teller " I love that.

2 Likes

The nostalgia got to me. A box of my cassettes in storage. I don’t know if I’ll go looking for a cassette player I may have stored somewhere. Some of them I replaced with Cds. My Scritti Politti, Cupid & Psyche 85 is missing, and so was my Doobie Bros. Stampede, I have an attachment to those two. The later I eventually got on Cd.

4 Likes

I’ve never counted them but I’m guessing I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 200 cassettes, most of which are mixtapes. The rest are pre-recorded, radio airchecks (from when I was a DJ), and programs I recorded off the radio. With few exceptions I’m most attached to the mixtapes because I spent so many hours carefully compiling them. For that reason alone I’ve never been able to bring myself to part with them. A few years ago when I posted this mixtape jacket to a cassette group on FB one of the members was kind enough to upload it to Spotify. This is the playlist. The only songs they weren’t able to track down were from a compilation of NC artists called Mondo Montage (one of which included Don Dixon).

3 Likes

I don’t think I ever bought a prerecorded cassette tape, but we used to record all our LP’s onto cassette to play in the car. I went out with someone who just had an 8-track player; now THAT’S a dead format!

2 Likes

If I bought a pre-recorded cassette it was usually because it was something I felt like I needed to hear right away. Unless it was for a friend or family member I never recorded an entire album on cassette. Mine were either mixtapes or I devoted both sides to different artists or one entire tape to a single artist. This is one of my R.E.M. tapes.

3 Likes

Ha! I have a few like that! Like you, I can’t bear to get rid of them. My record player has a cassette player. I must dig them out. Would love to hear some of the mix tapes I made back in the day.

2 Likes

I still have a cassette player in my car and a boombox that plays cassettes. However, in recent years both have more often been used to listen to music from either my iPhone or my iPod.

2 Likes

My cassette mix tapes are mostly of songs I’ve taped off the radio way back then. I haven’t missed listening to them till now, I don’t why I keep them, probably because they are a memory of my teenage years. Stampede was one of the cassettes that came with me once on a long road trip. The scenery was sparse, not much traffic. It stuck with me. Scritti Politti C&S 85, so reminds me of the dance clubs I went to in the 80’s. I may replace that one with a Cd too one day.