Disappear -
Saturn Return - Buck
Beat a Drum - Mills
Imitation of Life - Buck
Summer Turns to High -
Chorus and the Ring -
I’ll Take the Rain -
Beachball -

I recollect Mills being a fan of I’ll Take the Rain, but I don’t know if that means he wrote it (especially since the guitar in the verses sounds like its Buck). Saturn Return is Buck, since it’s related to a soundtrack he wrote. I suspect Beachball could be Mills (apparently demoed as piano and synth).

2 Likes

The Lifting - Buck
I’ve Been High - Buck
All The Way to Reno - Buck
She Just Wants to Be - Mills
Disappear - Buck
Saturn Return - Buck
Beat a Drum - Mills
Imitation of Life - Buck
Summer Turns to High - Buck
Chorus and the Ring - Buck
I’ll Take the Rain -?
Beachball - Yeah… probably Mills

2 Likes

I assume Buck wrote I’ll Take the Rain because of the epic guitar solo at the end.

I don’t know that the I’ll Take the Rain guitar solo means its a Buck song (though the stale acoustic guitar is more his style than Mills); Be Mine has an extended guitar riff/solo at the end, and that’s a Mills song.

1 Like

For sure, it just strikes me that the song was written as a vehicle for the epic (by R.E.M.’s standards, anyway) guitar solo at the end, so I’ve always assumed it was Buck’s baby. I may well be wrong, though.

Not that it proves who wrote it, but I recollect an REM pre-release posting (maybe on HQ?) about Mills and Stipe sitting next to each other and realizing they were both thinking about or humming I’ll Take the Rain.

Let’s do Murmur in honor of the 39th birthday!

1 Like