Disturbance at the Heron House -
Strange - (cover)
It’s the End of the World As We Know It -
The One I Love -
Fireplace -
Lightnin’ Hopkins -
King of Birds -
Oddfellow Local 151 -

I can only guess on these songs. Maybe Mills for Finest Worksong? I assume It’s the End of the World As We Know It / PSA Bad Day originated from Buck. I assume Berry for King of Birds, since it was demoed as ‘March?’

1 Like

just some guesses:
finest worksong - buck (riff-driven; points to buck)
the one i love - (came from a jam but would guess buck’s guitar riff is really what drove its creation, if that makes sense…)
oddfellows - buck (another riff-based song)
king of birds - buck (he played it on dulcimer, right? but the LRP demo is played on guitar. if it wasn’t his riff i doubt he’d switch instruments)
exhuming mccarthy - berry

a very Buck-oriented Lp:
Finest Worksong - Buck
Welcome to the Occupation - Buck
Exhuming McCarthy - Mills
Disturbance at the Heron House - Buck

It’s the End of the World As We Know It - ?? Peter was at least involved in the writing process for sure.
The One I Love - Buck
Fireplace - ? (Peter was at least involved in the writing process for sure II)
Lightnin’ Hopkins - same as Belong (and while we are here- kind of the same as King of Birds), it’s one of the few REM songs that started out from a rhythm (made by Bill) and developed into a jam.
King of Birds - everyboby.
Oddfellow Local 151 - Buck

1 Like

I assume Buck started It’s the End of the World, as I vaguely recollect him mentioning that it was tweaked from the aborted Bad Day demo to fool Michael into giving it another try.

Do we know that Finest Worksong and The One I Love originated with Buck?

Finest Worksong is pretty much the same note on the guitar, whereas the the bass line seems to move around a little bit.

The One I Love hook could have just as easily originated as a bass riff.

There’s a small chance that I’m wrong about Finest Worksong. for many many years I naturally assumed that FW is a Mike-baby, but a few years back something linked it to Buck. Don’t remember what it was but I think it had something to do with him loving FW as a setlist opener. another clue is Discoverer - I KNOW that Peter wrote it and it’s in the same fashion of FW. But, again, I could be wrong.
As for One I love - virtually everyone in the band referred to it as a Peter song at one point or another…
someone must do a Q&A with the band about those “problematic” songs! :slight_smile:

1 Like

“the one i love” was born out of “the chaos method” where they jammed until a song congealed

excerpt from it crawled from the south attached

2 Likes

In one of his interviews, without naming it, Buck says there’s one album for which he pretty much wrote all the songs, chord-wise. Document might well be that album.

2 Likes

This sounds very plausible.

1 Like