Where are we all from? A newbie wants to know about you

Lucky you!! I’m from Newcastle and would come back to the north east in a heartbeat!! That bridge is a sign of home along with the Angel.

2 Likes

I was born & raised in Connecticut (Hartford is the closest "city), but moved to the Boston area in 1994 for uni. Six years later I moved to Philadelphia where I met my now husband. We moved to Seattle in 2007 after falling in love with it during a mini-vacation the previous year, got married and bought our first home a few years later.

In 2014 we took a 3 week trip to Spain and fell in love with the Basque coastal city, San Sebastían. After half-joking about how great it would be to live there, we made it a reality. With six suitcases and two cats we closed up our Seattle home intending to take a one-year sabbatical to San Sebastían. Well, one year wasn’t enough, so we sold the Seattle condo and extended our visa. Just over a year ago we bought a home here, and come November we’ll qualify for permanent citizenship. My Castellano is TERRIBLE though because learning languages is very difficult for me.

This is storm coming in from the sea from the roof from our previous apartment.

This is a message of support mid-pandemic once we came out of lockdown in 2020. River Urumea.

4 Likes

A Cleveland native but now living in Bremen, Germany.

2 Likes

Gosh, what brought you to Bremen? Native of Bremerhaven here and grew up in Beverstedt, half way between the two.

I can’t believe the number of expats here!!! It is kind of shocking. I wonder if R.E.M. in some subtle way gave us all wanderlust??? :open_mouth: :joy: :rofl:

3 Likes

My wife is German. We always talked about moving here and after 10 years of being married and her living in the US, a job opportunity opened for her. In Fall '19 we packed-up, and with our two little ones, made the move.

3 Likes

Nice! :slight_smile: You sure found yourself a beautiful place to settle there.

1 Like

Hey, I know you

1 Like

Even though I hate it here it is a beautiful place with a lot of history. Swansboro, NC started as a sleepy little fishing village and is so small it has pretty much remained so but has experienced growth over the years. The Atlantic Ocean is about a 20 minute drive from where I live.

5 Likes

Beautiful.

Do you get much flooding when hurricanes pass by? I know that’s such an odd question to ask. But I’m considering coastal areas when I eventually retire. As much as I hate Myrtle Beach, statistically it fares much better than Charleston or Hilton Head when storms come ashore, which is where this question comes from. And by the way it would be North Myrtle Beach the safer part of Myrtle Beach, more family friendly.

That said, maybe I’ll find an expat community on the West Coast of Mexico. I love the sound of the ocean and living on the beach.

1 Like

The area between Cabos San Lucas and Todos Santos is full of US ex-pats. Houses are fairly inexpensive (although getting more so lately).

Amy and I considered getting a vacation property down there, but I also have a few friends with places to stay so probably won’t.

2 Likes

No flooding where I live now but when I was on the other side of town in our family’s cottage that was on the Intracoastal Waterway, yes. We owned that property going back to the early to mid 70’s. Hurricanes never became a problem until the double whammy of Hurricanes Bertha and Fran in the summer of '96. They became nearly relentless after that with Hurricane Ophelia being the final straw in 2005. That’s when we made the difficult decision of parting with the property. Hurricanes are always going to be an issue for whoever owns that property unless they build a house on stilts but do to local laws that are too in depth to go into here, that would be an impossibility. Someone could do it but then have to pay the fines for breaking the laws.
I love the ocean and used to spend a lot of quiet time there but since being back, I haven’t spent one second over there. Perhaps it’s because I still feel in limbo and maybe something to do with the pandemic, I’m not sure.

1 Like

I live in Cornwall in the UK. I’m originally from the States, moved around a lot and when I started on Murmurs was in Utah. Now I live a short walk from the beach and really love it here. Don’t fancy moving back to America at all.

4 Likes

A view of the sunset over the ocean last night in Emerald Isle, NC. Photo from Graham Hunt Photography who you can also find on FB and IG. Link to his website below.

1 Like

Thank you for that information. Considering where this country heads, it may be sooner rather than later.

As a sidenote, anything I look at, even on the East Coast has to be able to house my baby grand. Can you imagine moving the piano to Mexico? Kaching. And after I’m gone - moving it back? Maybe I’ll leave that home to both my boys. LOL.

1 Like

I feel your pain. “Pandemically”, and after,!the beach will allow me to come and go as I want without having to deal with anyone if I din’t want to so it suits me fine, probably knowing that I disagree with 1/2 of the population there anyways. LOL.

1 Like

I have also lost the desire to read, write, or paint. I’ve been told it’s due to the pandemic. I’ll be seeing my first live show in just over two years this weekend which I’m hoping may help to open some doors again for me. A friend that lived here for around 30 years recently left for the mountains partially due to the political climate in this area. I seriously pondered leaving the country during the reign of terror from the previous regime.

1 Like

I feel your pain, an anomaly in my own family (sisters, spouses, mother).

:hugs:

1 Like

Welcome She G.A.Night!
I was born in Scotland’s west coast. Moved to Canada at age 26 and live in Vancouver.
I hope you have a great time when you move down the map. :grin:

1 Like

I live in a small town in the middle of Estonia called Paide. Its my hometown, i grew up here. For the university i moved to a slightly bigger town (with a university), then some years later i moved to capital Tallinn and two years ago i moved back home. It is very peaceful, in the summer very green and in the winter (like now) very-very white. I dont remember it ever being this snowy as this winter. Not too cold luckily. This is a random snapshot i took a few days ago while taking a small walk, the street is a couple blocks from my home.

5 Likes