What do you do for a living?

Come on! A video game professor!!! I couldnt be more envious!!!

1 Like

Well, like any job, it does get boring/repetitive, lol. The lectures are fun, and the assignments are cool. MOST students are solid. It gives me an excuse to game I guess. Elden Ring is getting crazy good reviews!

2 Likes

Do you have to deal with the higher ed politics? I’m chair of my dept. I watched The Chair on Netflix and it took me three days to recover. I should never, ever’ve binge-watched that show. I mean, it’s the most accurate depiction of higher ed I’ve ever seen, but still….

1 Like

I’m an electronics and real-time software engineer. When I was on Murmurs before, I designed and tested stabilized camera systems (mostly for helicopters and used for news, movies, etc). I was laid off… without notice… twice. So I went and did other stuff for a while.

In 2011, some ex-coworkers called and asked if I wanted to start a company with them doing the stabilized stuff again. Despite the shaky economy and uncertainty of it all, I said sure. It sounded like a great opportunity and a way to get out of the cubicle life. It was challenging, but after about 6 years we bought the company that laid us off which was satisfying. We’ve been in business for over 11 years now, and seem to have weathered the pandemic.

TL;DR - Still doing the same thing. lol

12 Likes

That’s a great turn of events, Kelly. Congratulations!

1 Like

I wasn’t on the original murmurs, but I’ll play along: I’m a video game designer! I just…come up with fun stuff to happen in video games and I…make that happen. That’s literally a thing people can do for a living (it is a little stressful at times, I will say).

5 Likes

I sell high end hooch. No, like really expensive stuff.

Alright so I’m working as a fine wine expert for the Finnish monopoly retailer. The pay is shit but then again I get to taste the stuff that goes above a hundred bucks. Then people come and ask me if they’d like it and I can fairly often tell if they will.

2 Likes

That’s awesome Kelly. Ever make it to LA? There’s a few camera helicopters based out of Van Nuys

5 Likes

Unpopular opinion…I don’t like the shape of most acoustic guitars. I haven’t a desire to play acoustic…for now, but when I do…it will only be an Acoustasonic.

1 Like

I teach. Meaning I hold a permanent teaching certificate, and I have been a teacher full-time- Kindergarten. :heart: These days, due to health, I can only work part time, and so I am running a Before & After School program at a local childcare center.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’m in Ontario. I’m studying Geomatics, undergrad.

The last time I was in LA was in the before-times, 2019 or so. We were flying out of Whiteman airport testing with the news people. The Super Bowl this year used our gimbal, but I wasn’t directly involved.

I think the last time I flew out of Van Nuys was in 1998(?) and was with a large film camera at night over the freeways with the doors off the helicopter. Quite an amazing view. I wouldn’t doubt that a lot of movie cameras still fly out of there.

2 Likes

I haven’t yet flown into Whiteman, as Van Nuys is so close. I’m hoping to go flying this week :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I am now a grocer. Ha! Currently am the dairy/frozen department manager at Fresh Thyme Market in Westerville, OH. After almost 20 years in the travel industry I still got laid off when the pandemic hit so figured I would find something pandemic proof. Grocery it is. I actually LOVE my job now which is a feeling I haven’t had in many years. So getting laid off was actually a blessing.

4 Likes

I still work in community age care, helping the old & frail stay at home longer. I’ve been doing this job for almost 15 years. I’m looking to retire in a couple more years, then I’ll have to find something else to do. My biggest fear in retirement is boredom.

5 Likes

Back in the original Murmurs days i was a young intensive care nurse london based. Moved to australia and wow missed live music there so many bands dont make the trip down under! Although met Rangi again doing security down under for Billy Idol!!
Now am grown up and an advanced clinical practitioner in palliative care, community based and back in UK.

4 Likes

I’m a Graphic Designer. My day job is as the Graphic Designer/Visual Director at the Marquette Food Co-op. I also do a certain amount of freelance design work, mostly focused on local and regional organizations, non-profits, and businesses.

2 Likes

Tax Professional then and now. I have Fender Precision and a Mustang bass and I’m giving Sid Vicious a run for his money.

3 Likes

You’re back in the U.K.? For how long? We have to meet up!

1 Like

Translator for a company that produces bicycles and distributes cycling parts and accessories.

2 Likes