What do you do for a living?

My other gig stems from my old blog some of you might have heard of, The Power of Independent Trucking, and work I did before that for Joy Division and New Order / Rhino. I master records in my living room for Henry Owings / Chunklet, probably a couple dozen official releases under my hat now (too lazy to check). Biggest? Pylon Live is all me (after Jason NeSmith transferred the tapes). Vanessa is a total sweetheart. Most fun? Anything for the Tar folks, they are now some of my very best friends - which is funny to say about a band I’ve loved since 1991. But they are such good people my personal relationship with singer/guitarist John Mohr and drummer Mike Greenlees goes way past just doing records for them / putting things up on their Bandcamp. But it all started doing mastering for them at Henry’s request. Weirdest? Crashing in the same bedroom as Peter Holsapple last fall in Atlanta at Henry Owings’s house, where I stayed while in town for the Connells as Peter opened for them and “Drew, of course man you can crash here, anytime you say the word it’s yours but … do you mind that Holsapple’s going to be in the other bed?”

10 Likes

Sadly I don’t work much anymore due to a medical condition but as that was kicking off a few years ago I was teaching myself photography in my other field of passion scifi/gaming and made quite a name for myself and I still get invited to pop culture cons around Australia to shoot and give panels on my work. It’s just a shame so many events where obviously cancelled, got an event in 3 weeks in Melbourne.

7 Likes

I was doing my MA when I first came to Murmurs and right now I’m doing tech support for a product at least one person in this thread uses.

I also play two Fender guitars (a slightly modded Tele and a T-Bucket), but have yet to acquaint myself with Fender Play - probably because I’ve played for a lot longer than it’s been around.

5 Likes

Not wearing suspenders yet, but at 54 dangerously close!

2 Likes

I basically do something quite similar in concept what I did back then on Murmurs: Help out people with technical problems.

Instead of it being a messageboard it is leading the technical side of a small team of support engineers. The products we have are video capture and playout cards for the broadcast media market typically used in live TV production.

6 Likes

I’m not sure when I joined the old Murmurs, since I was mostly a lurker discovering the world of R.E.M. fandom back then and too shy to post. But I was probably putting my journalism degree to good use and working as an editor to my university’s scientific journal. Then I became an English teacher for two years.

Now I’ve been a translator for books and assorted texts for about 12 years. I also wrote a book (in Portuguese) about TV shows and released it through a big publisher back in 2016. It was very well received, fortunately. It has been used in academic papers all over Brazil, for which I’m incredibly grateful.

Extra-professionally, been working with graphic design, making music, cooking and other hobbies.

5 Likes

Holy crap! Drew! Julia cannot possibly be that great age!

1 Like

I was in middle school when I joined Murmurs. Now I’m a Network Administrator for a small MSP running out of Woodland Hills, CA. I haven’t had a dull day since I’ve started.

3 Likes

When were we last together? I honestly don’t remember. I probably had a real job then, too :wink:
As for now… I’m a mechanical engineer and have worked at the same large computer company for over 30 years. My specialty is heat transfer. I started in manufacturing designing test equipment for electronics, moved to project management to introduce new products into manufacturing, and now work in product development.

2 Likes

Full time student at the University of Waterloo

1 Like

I can hardly believe it myself - remember saying the same thing to you about your girls what seems like yesterday!

4 Likes

Corporate accountant for a hospitality company

2 Likes

My landlord in Mississippi was a southern lawyer. He totally had that Foghorn Leghorn accent.

1 Like

When I joined this forum back in 2008 I was in my final year of school. Since then I’ve graduated from college and currently working for a US cybersecurity company from my home in Ireland. Started out as an engineer before moving over to the role of Sales Engineer. I used to be a pretty quiet, reserved guy (still am in a lot of ways), but this role has been such a help since most of my day is spent demoing different platforms to different companies.

3 Likes

I was in my 2nd year of college when I joined in '99. Graduated with a degree (Materials Engineering) I never used, went back to school for a Master’s, worked 11 years in collegiate athletics, and now am an administrator at an international university.

3 Likes

Higher Ed administration represent.

2 Likes

I’m a dentist, mainly general practise. But also practice as oral surgeon and some cosmetic procedures in the face. At this point I’m also medical director at a medium/small hospital.

4 Likes

I saw your earlier post about being a Director of Admission’s (I think) at a small private college. What’s your discount rate? Do you rely on athletics to drive enrollment?

I’m a bit surprised more small-private colleges haven’t closed-up since the pandemic started.

We are about 70%. It spiked a couple years ago because we beat our enrollment predictions by 20% - all the state schools were closed for Covid but we had a good plan to stay open so we picked up a bunch of students who had huge scholarships. It was weird crushing the number and getting really strong students and feeling like we goofed.

We are about 20% DI athletes so it definitely drives enrollment - if I take another job it will be at a DIII school.

3 Likes

Senior staff nurse/ infection control lead. Day surgery and theatres.

9 Likes