Up Reissue (a dream)

Haven’t checked into murmurs for a while, been a summer of travel and little internet use.

A while ago I suggested to Ethan that the Up reissue could include remixes of the tracks by artists. I think it was my idea? apologies if someone else came up with it! Anyway, have been thinking on it, and would like to start a thread matching artists w/ tracks. I’ll get it started:

Falls to Climb (Thom Yorke version)

At My Most Beautiful (St Vincent version) OR (Angel Olsen version)

Hope (Four Tet version)

4 Likes

Let’s do it!

Airportman (Beck remix)
Lotus (Michael Stipe remix)
Suspicion (Perfume Genius remix)
Hope (Trent Reznor remix)
At My Most Beautiful (Fiona Apple remix)
The Apologist (Bill Berry remix)
Sad Professor (Eddie Vedder remix)
You’re in the Air (Caribou remix)
Walk Unafraid (Jacknife Lee remix)
Why Not Smile (Money Mark remix)
Daysleeper (Robert Mcduffie & Mike Mills remix)
Diminished (Scott Litt & Peter Buck remix)
I’m Not Over You (Pat McCarthy remix)
Parakeet (Stereolab remix)
Falls to Climb (Thom Yorke & Nigel Godrich remix)

4 Likes

I’m so looking forward to this reissue. A coloured vinyl with the same colours as the artwork (no picture disc please!). And the remixes for sure.

2 Likes

Same here.
and if the unreleased song “A Cool Dry Place” will not be included - I won’t be held accountable for my actions :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Would love Sad Professor by Mr Vedder!

3 Likes

I honestly kind of wish for Super Deluxes re-rereleases of Murmur to Green for demos like with Out of Time/Automatic for The People/Monster/New Adventures in Hi-Fi

Possibly also a Deluxe of Chronic Town, was so disappointed when the 40th anniversary was just a basic remaster, hoped for more outtakes like Ages of You, which was very good and if they shortened Stumble they may have gotten it on the EP on Poster Torn side back in '82

1 Like

Sad Professor by Bonnie Prince Billy
Diminished by Air

Walk Unafraid by Jacknife Lee is a good shout. Not a fan of the production on the Jacknife albums, but he’d probably give it the oomph that the album version is lacking.

4 Likes

Sad Professor by Bonnie Prince Billy is an incredible idea.

2 Likes

wow: Suspicion (Perfume Genius remix). YES!

1 Like

my thoughts exactly!

2 Likes

I would just like to see what Scott Litt (and maybe Bill Berry) would do with the whole of Up.

3 Likes

I wonder if Bill did anything with the songs during the first demo session before he left the band? From REM timeline:

April 1997 - Peter Buck’s House, Honolulu, Hawaii
tracks recorded included: Live For Today / Hawaii #4 (Daysleeper) (Instrumental)
notes: Demo Recording Sessions begin for ‘Up’.

August 1997 - R.E.M.'s West Clayton Street Studio, Athens, GA
tracks recorded included: Live For Today
notes: Rehearsal & Demo Recording session for ‘Up’. ‘Live For Today’ is recorded with Kai Reidl on vibraphone & maracas.

9 October 1997 - R.E.M.'s West Clayton Street Studio, Athens, GA
notes: Rehearsal Session for ‘Up’ - Bill Berry announces intention to leave R.E.M.

3 Likes