The “lost” songs

I don’t want to take advantage of your insider knowledge, so feel free to ignore this!

But I’m curious which R.E.M. demos made it to Peter Buck’s solo stuff. Or Filthy Friends. Or anything else.

Off the top of my head, Nothing Means Nothing and Drown With Me from the solo albums sound pretty R.E.M.ish. I could imagine Stipe singing those. Also Any Kind Of Crowd by Filthy Friends. And the title track of Beat Poetry for Survivalists, is a very R.E.M.ish chord progression. (Though the song itself is not R.E.M.ish at all.)

4 Likes

i’m on record somewhere on the internet that “weatherman” will be the single from the ATS reissue. hope i’m right!

wasn’t “bad ass” recorded for a movie soundtrack? i seem to remember reading that.

my holy grail is a studio version of “title.” but really any lost demo with vocals will be interesting. release it all!

4 Likes

I thought I once read you? or someone else suggest that the Living Well riff dated all the way back to the Monster era?

Only Lovers Are Broken from the second Filthy Friends album is by far the most “R.E.M.” song from Peter’s solo work, to my ears, anyway. Could have been the best song on Accelerate or Collapse Into Now.

buck has said it was kicking around since 1985

8 Likes

Great song.

1 Like