The Bob Dylan Center

Piece on The Bob Dylan Center from CBS Sunday Morning. It opens on Tuesday in Tulsa, OK.

https://youtu.be/U1ChTENLuJ8

Not sure why this was removed from YouTube but it is available on CBS’ website.

1 Like

I have four of Bob Dylan records. I had heard his music in the 60’s but I didn’t really start listening until I was older. I got Blood on the Tracks first followed by three of his early records that came in a set, Bringing it all Back Home, Highway 61 Revisited & Blonde on Blonde.

1 Like

I never disliked him but didn’t really start to get into him in a big way until the 90’s with the first three volumes of his Bootleg Series and Time Out of Mind. I’ve continued to purchase most of the albums in the Bootleg Series as well as most of his newer releases. I have nothing against his older albums but have very few of them. I seem to be the same way with other artists that have large catalogs such as Neil Young and the Rolling Stones. My starting points with them were Rust Never Sleeps and Some Girls, respectively, I own very few of their records prior to that. I’ve seen Dylan in concert three times, twice in the 90’s and once in the early 00’s. None were bad experiences but I enjoyed the latter two the most. I hear so many stories of people being disappointed or walking of his shows these days that I have been hesitant to see him again. Also, it depends on who you talk to. The diehard faithful never speak less than kindly of his performances. I would just prefer to preserve my pleasant memories of him rather than having a bad experience.

1 Like

I was attracted to Dylan’s music when I first heard Lilly, Rosemary & the Jack of Hearts from Blood on the Tracks It was like a movie & got me intrigued. I’ve heard discussions of what that song is about & some kind of mythical meaning behind it, I also read somewhere the song is just about a bank robbery. Desolation Row from Highway 61 is also intriguing. I don’t think he is a particularly good singer in the traditional sense but I believe he is one of the great story tellers & song writers of our time.

1 Like

I grew up hearing him on the radio in the 70’s. As the youngest of 6, most of my older siblings were/are fans. I remember tuning in for his Hard Rain TV special in '76 but I wasn’t feeling it. In the late 70’s I picked up his Street Legal album but wasn’t feeling that either so I gave it to one of my older brothers who loved it. In the early to mid-80’s when I was in college radio I snagged a promo copy of his Greatest Hits from the station. That was the only Dylan I owned until the 90’s. I forgot to mention that also in there was a promo copy of his 30th anniversary concert I received when I was in radio then. I have never been particularly put off by his voice. Some have said he turns the gruffer side of it on and off at will which is supposed to be part of the mystery. I don’t mean just in the past like “Lay Lady Lay” but more recently as well.

1 Like

This is really nice. I took my daughter to see big B a few months ago at Atlanta Fox Theater. Great seats and Bob was doing really well but the audio mix was so bad. I heard others say the same thing from different venues. Turn his vocals up!!! He’s more coherent than the President.

Anyway, this museum center is on our near-term to see the greatest songwriter ever.

1 Like