Take a break and return

Have you ever not played an REM record for a long while then return to it, and realize just how insanely good it is?

Document for me. I’ve been listening a lot to random indie music or stuff with my daughter in the car. But randomly put on Document and realized just how insane that record is. If a band dropped a record like that today it’d be a smash.

6 Likes

I’ve been listing to Reveal recently. I forgot how good this album is.That summer theme. Michael’s voice. Even the art work is amazing.

2 Likes

Upon reading the OP, I realize I tend to do that when there’s an anniversary edition on the horizon. Like, about two years before Automatic’s, Monster’s and Hi-Fi’s reissues, I would barely listen to songs from them, and then the reissues hit and my love for those albums was not just reinvigorated, but improved.

2 Likes

Yes that’s exactly how Around the Sun became my favorite

1 Like

When it first came out I disliked Up. Later on I was largely confined to bed with health problems. Was spending my time listening to music, decided to play Up again, just to add a bit of variety, and loved it. Now my second favourite R.E.M. album.

3 Likes

I was looking though setlists & saw The Outsiders. Now I must go & listen to the album Around The Sun because I haven’t for a very long time it’s going to be an awesome re-discovery.

2 Likes

Document grows better to me every year. Sparse & youthful, I love this era. In fact, it’s the record that climbs higher and higher each year in my top R.E.M. records. Amazing that the same 4 dudes made Fables only 2-3 years earlier.

Ever notice how (almost) every song starts with a snare hit?

Beat a Drum might be my favorite R.E.M. song of 21st century.

2 Likes

Until you get to the rap part of that song… :rofl:

1 Like

I like Q-Tip’s rap…

A man walks away when every muscle says to stay
How many yesterdays, they each weigh heavy
Who says what changes may come?
Who says what we call home?
…”

2 Likes
1 Like

ATS is now a top fave but i felt he same way the first time about the rap part. In fact i was pissed. But it grew on me and now i love every little bit of that album​:heart::rooster::rooster: