Scott Mccaughey

Interesting interview. I thought it was interesting that he echoed them all being blindsided by Bill leaving when they started recorded in Georgia. Only makes me wonder more about what the original Up demos from Hawaii were like and how much of a role Bill had in those.

Also interesting about how he was contractually supposed to leave the stage whenever they started working on new material (which quickly went by the wayside), following the Holsapple debacle.

Nice story about how Buck was by his bedside after the stroke.

2 Likes

[quote=“driverate, post:22, topic:393, full:true”]Also interesting about how he was contractually supposed to leave the stage whenever they started working on new material (which quickly went by the wayside), following the Holsapple debacle.

Nice story about how Buck was by his bedside after the stroke.[/quote]

It’s also interesting that they stuck to the “closed shop” when it came to songwriting, right up until Collapse Into Now, when McCaughey and Patti Smith got co-writing credits (Oh My Heart and Blue, respectively). An overdue nod to their friends? Or ripping up the rule book one last time?

There was an interview with McCaughey a while back (maybe the first one after his stroke) where he spoke in detail about the day of his stroke. He essentially said that Buck saved his life. Apparently the doctors were initially quite dismissive, thinking he was a drugged up rock star. It was at Buck’s insistance that they started taking it seriously and diagnosed the stroke. Tried looking for that interview a while back but it was behind a paywall.

2 Likes

That was so awesome. Is all well between Peter and Scott? I noticed no photos or comments with or by Peter afterward. It would be so sad if they had are on the outs. Hope all is well

If I’m not mistaken, his first writing credit with R.E.M. was “Airliner,” an instrumental that was included with the limited edition of Accelerate.

Why wouldn’t it be?

1 Like

They just released a single as members of the No Ones and recently finished recording a new Baseball Project album. Yes, they’re frequent and near constant collaborators but they’re also not joined at the hip. They’re also involved in other projects outside of their collaborations.

2 Likes