Reviving old board game

This was either in GLR or Elvis Poses on OG board. What songs do you want played at your funeral?
I’ll go first
Find The River by those guys
On the Road To Find Out by Cat Stevens/Yusuf
AND I must honorable mention Mary Asbach’s brilliant submission
Happy Trails by Roy Rogers (I think) Mary, you are a genius.

3 Likes

I don’t have a will, nor do I have enough money in my savings to pre-pay for my funeral so I doubt any of this happens but these are the songs. Also, I don’t want a funeral, I want a celebration of my life.

R.E.M. “Find the River”
Billy Joe Shaver “Live Forever”
John Prine “Please Don’t Bury Me”

2 Likes

I don’t have a pre-planned funeral either. If I don’t die suddenly it will be these songs…
Bjork - “Undo”
R.E.M. - “Try Not To Breathe”
Patti Smith - “Gone Pie”
Crowded House - “Private Universe”

3 Likes

I don’t know. I’ve thought about Kathryn Williams’ “Flicker”:

3 Likes

My funeral’s not pre-planned. The only plans I have are cremation in the cheapest possible box, and some songs. Food and drinks for the attendees . I don’t want it mournful with people wearing black. More of a party. I truly believe death is only part of my journey. But if it’s not and I’m completely snuffed out for good, I won’t care, will I?

3 Likes

I forget where it was exactly but when I posted my three songs somewhere on anti-social media recently, someone replied that it was too many songs as if they would actually have some sort of say in it. I wonder what they would say about my friend that recently posted about three hours worth of songs and then, asked for more suggestions? Not their party…

3 Likes

Well thanks to my grandmother having had a paid up funeral plan I put one in place 7 years ago with the co-op so its all paid up and the kids won’t have to fuss about it .I did it by monthly wage deductions. My sister said what have you done that for it’ll come out of your estate but I like things to be ship shape and Bristol fashion. My Dad left no instructions and we found it difficult choosing music and then when what we (I) chose was played it sounded all wrong! @SweetFannyAddams you’ve got me going down the etymology rabbit hole with this. “Funeral”- derivation “funeris” Latin “of funerals, cremation” - big help. How about “fun” like @acheron 's celebration of life? I went to a “Gathering” in a beautiful place recently which was lovely. Poems, readings, classical music. Anyway, to be prepared I currently have the following list for the family to choose from (I won’t be there I don’t think)

When a knight won his spurs
Nightswimming
Early Morning- Barclay James Harvest
The Water- Johnny Flynn and Laura Marling
Who knows where the time goes- Fairport Convention
Losing My Religion
Bach’s Organ Concerto No 4 in E minor- Vikingur Olaffson
1812 Overture- Tchaikovsky (maybe not this one but Dad liked it)

Anti Social Moi? Oh yes!

5 Likes

I’m thinking of adding “Can’t Find My Way Home” by Blind Faith. It’s worried me as perhaps too sad. But it’s so beautiful, I’ve listened to it at least 1000 times. Steve Winwood’s sublime voice! The message isn’t a bad one at all, considering.Back on the list.

When my parents died, I was asked by my family to select the music. When my Dad passed away in 1994 I chose “The Captain and the Kid” by Jimmy Buffett. He was a Navy man, loved the ocean and instilled that love in each of us so, I believe it was more than an appropriate choice. When my Mom passed away 5 years later, the first song I presented was “Sweetness Follows.” It was deemed to be “too sad” or “morbid” by one of my older siblings. I then chose “At My Most Beautiful.” Yes, I know it’s a love song but I selected it for the “I know you’re closed eye watching me” line because I felt that even though my Mom had her eyes closed and was mostly out of it in her last days, I firmly believe she knew each of us were there. It is hard for me to remember now but I believe she responded to our voices with the occasional hand squeeze. I could be wrong. Other songs selected that were met with approval were “Will the Circle Be Unbroken?” by the Staple Singers and “I’ve Got the World on A String” by Frank Sinatra. My Mom loved Sinatra and saw him in concert along with my Dad. I also thought it made a nice nod to her abilities as a seamstress.

2 Likes

Will You - Hazel O’Connor
November Rain - Guns ‘n’ Roses (full length album version)
Then either/or both of:-
Find the River
I’ll Take the Rain

1 Like