REM Adjacent Tours this year

In here it’s required the 3 doses being the last one more than 2 weeks ago or PCR test valid for 72 hours or antigen valid for 48 hours.
I had my 3rd dose in December, but my wife had hers only one week before the concert. Lucky enough, and since the tests around where I live are very difficult to schedule for a Saturday, because of my professional activity got the chance to performe her test at home and write and sign the report. Otherwise, she would need a PCR performed on Friday and pay more for it than the price of the ticket.

Would love to see either the Decemberists, or Wilco’s Yankee Hotel Foxtrot tour, but, alas, neither will be in the UK.

I am hoping to get to a Buck/Haines gig though. Had tickets in 2020 but it got cancelled twice…

I’ve alway been a casual passerby fan of The War on Drugs, and I don’t own any of their albums (yet).
Some friends talked me into buying tickets with them for the upcoming Atlanta show, though, so I am looking forward to getting on board.

3 Likes

On the recommendation of a friend, I saw them during one of the first Hopscotch Music Festivals in Raleigh and was quite taken with them. However, when I purchased Slave Ambient at my next show (also in Raleigh) I noticed the songs all had a similar sound that caused them to run together (at least to my ears). Seeing them live helped me to differentiate them.

3 Likes

Last Saturday, I attended the Billie Eilish concert here in Atlanta. During the show, in between songs, Billie spotted a fan in the crowd who was signaling for help and who needed an inhaler. She asked for someone to get the fan an inhaler, and then waited until the fan received aid before starting the next song. She said that she waits for people to be okay before she keeps going with the show.

At no point during that incident did she mention Travis Scott or make any references to the tragedy at his concert.

This is hardly worth the effort of writing a post, but I keep seeing articles on my news feed about this event and about how Billie Eilish has been asked to apologize to Travis Scott. I have attended hundreds of concerts in my life, but this was my first time being at ground zero of a manufactured tabloid feud.

Disclaimer: This may not quite be one’s idea of an “R.E.M. Adjacent Tour.”

4 Likes

Those 2008 shows got me into the National in the first place, they were incredible for an opening act.

1 Like

Same. I had heard a few tracks from Alligator on the local college radio station, but when REM took them out on tour and I had a chance to see them live, well, I was hooked. As much as I love their records, I don’t think they hold a candle to the live shows.

2 Likes

Pavement, whom I have never seen, is playing two dates in Germany in November, one of which is (I’m still not sure why) Bremen. I didn’t need to think twice about getting tix. What I do need is to get my wife to appreciate the band in time for the concert.

2 Likes

Wow you live in Utah and are going to New York…carry the 1…add a few…that’s…

Like, a lot.

War on Drugs. So so good. SLC 2/19

6 Likes

Got a bunch of shows lined up but just looking at REM-adjacent acts:
Jeff Tweedy with Mark Eitzel opening
Richard Thompson
Eddie Vedder
Pearl Jam
Decemberists
My Morning Jacket
Pavement
and I’ll definitely see the National and Radiohead if they tour.

1 Like

The National announced one fall date, so I’d expect the full tour any day now.

We are taking both kids to the Decemberists which should be a lot of fun. My oldest has seen them before and loved it.

2 Likes

Just got back from a Jason Isbell show where he played Driver 8.

7 Likes

Who was your band besides REM?

I’ve never been to California before, but I am flying out to Los Angeles to see both days of the Cruel World music festival in Pasadena on May 14 and May 15. My plan is to hang by the big stage on the first day, and then hang by the smaller stage on day two, since the lineup is the same both days.

Some friends and I are sort of hoping that Morrissey cancels out and they replace him with New Order or The Cure. Lol. I’ll still enjoy the Morrissey show anyway, though, despite his tendencies these days.

I’ve already seen most of the bands on the bill, but the idea of seeing them all together in one place was too good to pass up. The lineup is basically my lifelong music collection in a nutshell.

3 Likes

Holy shit, Jason. Can I tag along?

1 Like

That’s a really good question. REM was the band that stuck with me (and that I stuck with) the longest. But, the one performer I think many people from college associate with me is Janis Joplin.

Definitely, Biz. The second day is not sold out, and tickets should be easy to get for the first day.

Which one broke up recently?

Here are some photos that I took at the Gary Numan concert here in Atlanta last night.

Yesterday was his 64th birthday, so we all sang to him.

4 Likes