REM Adjacent Tours this year

After two years of no tours, are there any tours you’re looking forward to in the “Not REM but close” camp?

I’m seeing the Decemberists in August, which should be fun. Taking both kids.

The National should be announcing shows soon.

Also seeing Wilco this year, and hopefully Radiohead if/when they announce something.

4 Likes

The Decemberists are playing at a local brewery (Beak & Skiff) in August which is going to be wild. For some reason this brewery is attracting better talent this summer than other “real venues” in the area.

I’d love to see Wilco!

When I saw R.E.M. in 2008, the National opened up for them. I wish I had been more into the National at the time. At the time, I was indifferent, and now I’m kicking myself for not soaking up the beauty of The National touring Boxer.

I’m excited about the reissues from Propeller and associated shows from Love Tractor, hopefully Chickasaw Mudd Puppies, and more. Chime in if y’all know details!

1 Like

The National have gotten if anything better live over the years. The “Special Night with the National” shows they did for I Am Easy to Find was one of the best things I’ve seen live.

2 Likes

I’m going to see Bryan Adams, Jason Isbell, Madrugada, Wilco, The Dream Syndicate, Drive-By Truckers and a-ha. All in Norway at various arenas and cities in 2022.

3 Likes

I was considering that show. Still a bit skeeved about seeing a big show indoors, but that one looked like a good compromise. Plus, the in-laws like an hour away so we’d have childcare.

2 Likes

To be honest, same about the indoors thing. I haven’t seen a show since before the pandemic. I have tickets to a concert at the Wells Fargo Center in Philly in March but I’m not sure if I can muster up the courage to go.

The only two things I have coming up this spring/summer are Tindersticks in Berlin and Pet Shop Boys/New Order in Tallinn. These will be my first two shows since Nick Cave in Boston, 2019.

3 Likes

There is no one I want to see. If anyone remembers me I latch onto something I like and I will listen and listen and listen, listening in layers figuring out why a song moved me. I gave my heart to another band after REM broke up but they ended up breaking up several years ago. I am bandless.

By the way, E-bow the Letter. For whatever reason the music around, Michael’s voice, and the lyric “aluminum the weakest link” had me in tears. Along with the second half of Blue, which was more musically devastating when you realized it was goodbye.

5 Likes

Love Tractor, flashtobangtime, and Magnapop are playing here next month. I’m still a little iffy on the indoor shows thing so it’s a toss up if I’ll be able to go or not

2 Likes

I have tix for the second day of Cruel World festival in Pasadena in May. I’m super excited will be my first time in LA!

4 Likes

I should not post before coffee.

To clarify: the CMP release is on Athens label Strollin Bones. Propeller Sound (TN/NC, not the Norwegian label) is doing Love Tractor, the dB’s, and Flat Duo Jets reissues and more. FWIW I saw Peter Holsapple Trio just before the pandemic and they were fabulous. PH allowed me to video. I don’t think I’ve posted it anywhere.

6 Likes

Justin, I will be at both days of Cruel World. See you there!

1 Like

I’m not sure how “R.E.M. adjacent” these are, but this is my 2022 schedule…

Billie Eilish - February 5, 2022
Gary Numan - March 8, 2022
Modern English - March 16, 2022
Sparks - March 21, 2022
Boy Harsher - April 6, 2022
Actors - April 7, 2022
OMD - April 24, 2022
Colin Hay - April 29, 2022
Cruel World Festival - May 14-15, 2022
Dry Cleaning - May 21, 2022
The War on Drugs - May 22, 2022
Tears For Fears/Garbage - June 12, 2022
Def Leppard/Mötley Crüe/Poison/Joan Jett and the Blackhearts - June 16, 2022
Peter Hook and the Light - August 16, 2022
The Mission UK/The Chameleons/Theatre of Hate - September 10, 2022

A lot of these are previously pandemic-postponed shows that all happened to get rescheduled within days of one another, otherwise I would not have spaced shows together like this. It is always fun to buy tickets and make plans, but, when the big day comes, I remember that I actually have to put on pants, drive into the city, pay parking fees, and all of that on weeknights when I have work the next day.

8 Likes

Awesome we will definitely have to meet up! My concert calendar is on hold cause I have no idea where I am gonna be in a few months. Will be moving somewhere For wife’s new job but don’t know where yet.

2 Likes

Have tickets to see the Eyelids in Atlanta and Athens in April.

2 Likes

Dude, that’s a top must see show for me. Some pals of mine toured with ToH and the Chameleons. Fantastic shows.

1 Like

Not a tour, but I’m looking forward to Patti Smith’s rescheduled birthday show that’s happening in a couple of weeks. I was excited to see her at the end of December, but it’ll all be worth the wait.

5 Likes

Magnapop was criminally underrated. I think, if you keep your mask on, given how the rates they are now, it’s not unreasonable to go to an inside show.

3 Likes

I appreciate the enthusiasm but I work and live with super high risk folks so my calculus has to be a lot more cautious than most.

1 Like