R.I.P., Gary Rossington

Gary Rossington, the sole surviving founding member of Lynyrd Skynyrd has died at the age of 71. When I was growing up in the 70s, Skynyrd were among the first artists I became a fan of. They helped to form the foundation of all music I would love from that moment forward. Even though I was old enough, I never did see them. However, I was fortunate enough to see them a few times after they reunited, starting with a show that took place nearly 10 years to the day after the plane crash. Due to ongoing issues with his heart, Gary has been performing sporadically with Skynyrd in recent months. It remains to be seen if it his passing will signal the end of Skynyrd. Their present tour started as their last but they had a change of heart when it resumed once restrictions started to be lifted due to the pandemic. For me, Lynyrd Skynyrd ended on October 20, 1977 when their plane crashed into that Mississippi swamp.

2 Likes

I have just voted on my favourite radio station over here for what I consider to be the greatest guitar solo which happened to be for me Sweet Home Alabama by Lynyrd Skynyrd. It would have been a toss up between that and Freebird but oddly Freebird isn’t on the list and the list is huge.

1 Like